Super Furry Animals "Love Kraft" SACD--UK only?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pestosound

I only came across this yesterday--a rare surprise in the SACD world. It looks like Super Furry Animals' new album "Love Kraft" will be released as a "Limited Edition" hybrid SACD on Aug. 22. But only in the UK?? I only see it listed on British sites such as amazon.co.uk. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I hope someone might have information about a possible domestic release? Or a good source for imports?

For those who haven't heard them, the Furries are a British (Welsh) rock band whose production, instrumentation, etc. tends to be very ambitious and interesting. They've already explored 5.1 mixing with DVD-Video versions of their last 2 albums. I'm not a rabid fan, but I do recommend the DVD version of "Rings Around the World," even though the audio is "merely" lossy DTS.

--David

Check out this site http://www.lovekraft.co.uk/lovekraft.htm - lists a limited edition SACD w/poster - price at Amazon UK is 11.99 (sterling) - street date 8/22.

Love the Furries - this one has a lot of horn/string arrangement work from Sean O'Hagan of High Llamas - if you like Beatlish psychodelic pop mixed with Brian Wilson circa Smile - then this is for you. You can preview some of the tracks at the website. Enjoy!

So...it still looks like it's a UK/European-only release? Or has anyone heard otherwise? I'd hate to spring for an import only to see it announced here in a few months...

--David

pestosound said:
So...it still looks like it's a UK/European-only release? Or has anyone heard otherwise? I'd hate to spring for an import only to see it announced here in a few months...

--David
Super Furries are on the Beggar's Banquet label here in the US - I doubt seriously that they would release an SACD version here.

elmer said:
Super Furries are on the Beggar's Banquet label here in the US - I doubt seriously that they would release an SACD version here.

The day Beggar's Banquet start releasing SACDs is the day I become bankrupt! :mad:@:

(y) Just rec'd my copy today from Amazon UK - not a lot of time to listen today but what I've heard so far is fantastic! It's great to post something about new music in surround. Don't get me wrong - I was thrilled to hear Brothers In Arms, but the vast majority of titles posted here are 25 years old! If surround is going to flourish then we need new source material. The Super Furries are one of the most creative pop bands out there today. This release has superior production work with arrangements from Sean O'Hagan. For those not familiar, Sean is the leader of High Llamas whose masterpiece "Hawaii" is the blueprint for the Brian Wilson Smile cottage industry. Beore Brian released his version (at last), Hawaii was the closest thing to Smile. The Super Furries are still under the radar, but for those still stuck in the seventies talking about how they wish Sony/BMG in the US would get it right - forget about it - go to Amazon UK and buy this album if only to hear what current pop with spectacular arrangements and creative 5.1 can sound like.

ps - if you're waiting for the US version, don't hold your breath - Beggar's Banquet is their label in the US and have no interest in SACD

NOW I am excited! expecting to get my copy from Amazon.UK this coming week.
Elmer...do you have the other surround stuff from SFA? Phantom Power DVD and the Storybook DVD?
/\/\

DrMabuse2001 said:
NOW I am excited! expecting to get my copy from Amazon.UK this coming week.
Elmer...do you have the other surround stuff from SFA? Phantom Power DVD and the Storybook DVD?
/\/\
Yep! Been a fan for a while now - their DVD stuff is very cool - creative visuals, menus and decent surround although nothing compared to the new SACD.

Thanks for the posts - never heard of these guys before. I just bought the SACD from amazon UK, with air mail shipping it worked out to a very reasonable $21.25 to the US.

Arrived today. Much faster than ordering from the US amazon (of course I use free shipping here, my impatience is exceeded by my cheapness). So far I like... Maybe there is enough interest for a poll?

BananaSlug said:
Arrived today. Much faster than ordering from the US amazon (of course I use free shipping here, my impatience is exceeded by my cheapness). So far I like... Maybe there is enough interest for a poll?

This is one of the best sounding and most adventurous releases both from a musical and MC perspective released this year. Even if it is only available in the UK, if you're into MC then you owe it to yourself to pick this one up! I would give it a 9 for musical content and mix.

elmer said:
This is one of the best sounding and most adventurous releases both from a musical and MC perspective released this year. Even if it is only available in the UK, if you're into MC then you owe it to yourself to pick this one up! I would give it a 9 for musical content and mix.

I ordered the Love Kraft. Sony SACD releases are so rare I can buy all of them. A total of $20.89 US when I ordered it.

update: One day later they have already shipped it. I wish I had ordered New Gold Dream SACD at the same time, after finding out the dvd-audio has dualdisc resolution. But I just found that out today.

Last edited:
Had a little listen last night to this one. I find that the first couple of songs really don't grab me (at least not yet), but it picks up from there. What do people think of the track "Lazer Beam?" It's definitely one of the most aggressive/fun mixes I've heard - maybe better than the Flaming Lips. If the Lips and Elliot Scheiner hear it maybe they'll try to out do the Furries next time out, that could be fun!

I don't know. It's been 9 days since mine was shipped from Amazon UK. Someone in the customs office must have a SACD player. It only took 3 days to receive Brothers in Arms from the same place.

Yeah, this one is definitely interesting. Just got my copy last night and gave it a listen. It's the seventies all over again! I suspect I will spend a lot of time with this one. My wife said after seeing the cover, you might have gotten a pig in a poke. But she liked it once she started hearing it. Good surround, a little gimmicky, but it fits the material.

The Quadfather

Mine finally arrived at the post office today (long wait). Comes in a digipak. Has no SACD logo on the digipak, just a sticker mentioning it's a hybrid super audio cd playable on all regular and all SA-CD players. Haven't opened it yet.

Back