HiRez Poll Scaggs, Boz - DIG [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Boz Scaggs - DIG

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
I was lucky to find a used one that was in "like new" condition for $54, but they usually are more expensive and don't come on the market very often. HERE is what you are looking for.

just so others know that photo is not correct...that is the listing that i purchased from and received the deluxe edition with the red linen binding.

Mostly very good. Some bad. What on earth did they do to Sarah and, to a slightly lesser extent, You're Not. Is this the Bob Ludwig mastering effect? Those 2 songs are for me unlistenable. Some kind of edgy, scratchy, unpleasant tone takes over. How it got there I don't know because the other songs, although a tad bass-heavy are smooth, baby, smooth. I get the same unpleasantness with the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road blu-ray - also mastered by Bob.

Get On the Natch? - next please.

Anyway the rest of the album is great - great mix and fidelity. The bass out of the 5.0 channels is to me a bit over-done (as in loudness) but I can see where other listeners might really groove on it. Especially King of El Paso - that's a great tune. Gives you shivers.

Highly Recommended. Just don't be surprised if you hit the "Next" button 2 or 3 times.

the scratchiness in "Sarah" is there on the stereo, it's part of the production itself rather than a sonic flaw :)
Listening now (a favorite) I agree, its an "effect" and moves clockwise around the room. I don't believe its a flaw, maybe some sort of shaker. By the way I dig:rolleyes: Get On The Natch, nice sub workout. As always Vanishing Point is exceptional.

Listening again under ideal conditions (79F/35%) windows wide open and ready to vote. It's a solid "10". Great Scheiner mix, effective and discrete sound and can't get enough of the content, a serious overplay risk.

I got this like new from discogs, 15$. A very well designed book edition, hard bound with detailed information and nice photos. A slight minus is how the discs are almost stuck in their sleeves, a bit tricky to get out :)

Boz is a great guy, I was always very fond of Silk Degrees and Middle Man. Apparently there are two multichannel options, lossless DVD audio and lossy Dolby digital. I only tried the former.

The fidelity is great, smooth and punchy at the right places. Songwriting is laidback, great separation of instruments while still maintaining a flow in the mix. Perhaps a bit boosy sub at times, and yes, the scratchy effect on Sarah is not entirely charmy, in fact I think it's out of context. I'd understand better if the production was more earthy, smokey 70's and while this obviously draw inspiration from there, this still has a clean modern touch to it which makes that effect a bit... weird.

Anways, a 9 it is, overall a great sounding disc. Miss Riddle is a demo track.

As I write this there is another 15$ edition on discogs, so please do yourself a favour and snatch this if you haven't got it. Also thanks to Spock who posted this in the Listening to Now-thread, had no idea this was released in surround.

Thanks to Simon A for selling me this disc back in September, its one I missed out getting when it was originally released. I've listened to it quite a few time now, its just great, music wise, sound wise, and mix wise, it has me smiling every time I've played it. A solid 10 all round. It should be in every surround collection.

Thanks to Simon A for selling me this disc back in September, its one I missed out getting when it was originally released. I've listened to it quite a few time now, its just great, music wise, sound wise, and mix wise, it has me smiling every time I've played it. A solid 10 all round. It should be in every surround collection.

TOTALLY agree, Duncan. I loved it so much I bought a back~up copy. Another stellar Elliot Scheiner mix! Very cool packaging, as well.

Just by chance today I received this:41dlWwtiQ9L._SY180_.jpg
With a fine band, 16 songs, a running time that approaches two hours, some of the best DVD sound you'll ever hear, and crisp, clear visuals, Greatest Hits Live is a portrait of a veteran, durable artist who's still in his prime. --Sam Graham
* His first ever live DVD * Filmed in high definition video * Mixed in stereo and surround sound * Bonus features include extra track, 15 minute documentary, and photo gallery From his early days with the Steve Miller Band, to his smash hits as a solo performer, Boz Scaggs has been a respected musician for decades. Greatest Hits Live features Scaggs in concert at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, and as Scaggs himself says, "It's not just any band that can pull off this song list." From the jazz-tinged "Harbor Lights," to the desperately blue "Loan Me a Dime," to hit songs including "Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle," Greatest Hits Live provides a powerful overview of the artist's most recognized work.
1. Lowdown
2. Slow Dancer
3. Heart of Mine
4. It All Went Down the Drain
5. Harbor Lights
6. Jojo
7. Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' but the Blues
8. Breakdown Dead Ahead
9. Look What You've Done To Me
10. I Just Go
11. Georgia
12. Miss Sun
13. Lido Shuffle
14. Runnin' Blues
15. Loan Me a Dime
16. We're All Alone
5.1 Mastering by Bernie Grundman, mixed by Steve Mac Millan

Thanks for for this reminder. I have this somewhere. Haven’t seen it for a while, maybe it’s boxed up with all my DVDs in my garage. I’ll look for it tomorrow.

Listening to Dig DVDA now. I love it. Just voted ‘10’

Just by chance today I received this:View attachment 31066
With a fine band, 16 songs, a running time that approaches two hours, some of the best DVD sound you'll ever hear, and crisp, clear visuals, Greatest Hits Live is a portrait of a veteran, durable artist who's still in his prime. --Sam Graham
* His first ever live DVD * Filmed in high definition video * Mixed in stereo and surround sound * Bonus features include extra track, 15 minute documentary, and photo gallery From his early days with the Steve Miller Band, to his smash hits as a solo performer, Boz Scaggs has been a respected musician for decades. Greatest Hits Live features Scaggs in concert at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, and as Scaggs himself says, "It's not just any band that can pull off this song list." From the jazz-tinged "Harbor Lights," to the desperately blue "Loan Me a Dime," to hit songs including "Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle," Greatest Hits Live provides a powerful overview of the artist's most recognized work.
1. Lowdown
2. Slow Dancer
3. Heart of Mine
4. It All Went Down the Drain
5. Harbor Lights
6. Jojo
7. Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' but the Blues
8. Breakdown Dead Ahead
9. Look What You've Done To Me
10. I Just Go
11. Georgia
12. Miss Sun