HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - BACK HOME [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Eric Clapton - BACK HOME

• Total voters
Because of the limitations of the vBulletin polling feature, and to keep a single poll for each title, they have to be combined.

If you HATE a particular disc because of the music content, but it "sounds" good and has a nice mix, thoretically it should NOT be a "1". I "1" would indicate crappy content, crappy fidelity, and crappy surround.

In the past I have not edited anyone's vote. If someone votes "1", then hopefully they are voting on what they hear as well.

It does skew the results, however. If you look at the DSOTM voting, people voted "1"'s because it was not the Alan Parsons mix. This is really not fair, because it really is a nice sounding disc with a very effective surround mix.

It really leaves me at a loss as to what to do with folks that vote "1" because they are pissed that they bought a disc that does not live up to their expectations content wide.

For now, things will continue as is. Fortunately, most members stay with the plan.

Just got this one and gave it an 8. Only average in terms of Clapton's work, but the DualDisc is really good and surround mix exceptionally well done.

Chris

As a byproduct of buying the FAN CLUB EDITION so I could post the picture back when it came out, I was able to get "preferred seating" when he came to CT a few weeks ago! Pretty cool.

As a byproduct of buying the FAN CLUB EDITION so I could post the picture back when it came out, I was able to get "preferred seating" when he came to CT a few weeks ago! Pretty cool.

Now that really is cool. Who was with him for that concert? I have so much of his music, I really wonder why I buy more but he is a favorite of mine for 40years now. He has done so much despite drug addiction and changing music tastes.

Chris

I ever so slightly prefer the songs on "Reptile" but I equally love this album for its sound and its flow.
I don't find it dull in the slightest. Slick, as ever with E.C. but brilliant stuff. Classy without being too buffed up and refined.
I play this and enjoy it a LOT! I'd play it even more if it wasn't in that awful case, which makes it so hard to get out the tight spindle!
Ouch! Thats a minor gripe though.
I'm so happy this came out in Advanced Res 5.1 too, just before everything went pear-shaped!

So it's a very strong "9" for Back Home from me.

Just bought this album new for $8.99 at a store (kinda ironic for the store, cause they had 2 other new copies marked $19.99, even though all 3 were the exact same disc...)
A full review & vote will follow once I take a listen to the whole disc, but so far I'm REALLY digging Eric Clapton's cover of George Harrison's "Love Comes to Everyone". Almost brought a tear to my eye as it's such a beautiful song and I really miss George's presence in this world.
Can't wait to hear the rest! :)

I just got it for about 13 dollars shipped. The songs are kind of laid back, but perhaps because I've aged along with EC, I found myself liking them. I also like some of the guest musicians, especially Doyle Bramhall II. The mix and fidelity are very good, nice bass, too. Overall, I'm satisfied.

I just got my hands on one of these and am very impressed. Sound is excellent +. I happen to like the music very much. Nice laid back bluesy sounding. Great stuff.

bloody idiots.. I can't see the names as I've already voted (9/10).. whatever, its a great disc, get it you won't be disappointed.

Why can't you see the names? If you click on one of the votes on the right, the names appear, even if you've already voted.

Ah! Thanks for that! (y)

(I now feel a bit of a chump! :eek: still, I guess you never stop learning! :D)

I guess I was a chump too. I never figured that out...

But thanks for resurrecting this thread! Never knew it existed. I just bought a used copy on amazon for $1.06 (plus $3.99 shipping but still).

I think there are a small group of fans who want their rock heroes to stay exactly the way they remember them when they were teenagers listening to them at a party or something. Everyone matures, and with that the music they make also matures. Reading reviews about this dual disk on the web, and when I come across references to how good Clapton was with Cream, I just shake my head. Move on folks, move on. Anyway I like it.
LOL

Necro vote! Strong "9." A nice, mellow, pleasant listen for the most part. I don't hear any clunkers.
No jaw-dropping, amazing, riffy songs, but that wasn't his vibe. Great sound, mix and performance. Great value with the extras and hi-rez format.

In my recent foray back in time, going from DVD-A to DTS-CD, I have been revisiting some older titles I haven't messed with in a while. I grabbed this one off the shelf with conversion in mind as I somehow remembered that it was pretty good.

Got the mix on the PC and WOW!! This is a terrific 5.1 mix. I don't think I ever ripped this one before, but the mix is clearly a 10 in my book. Isolated rears without lead vocals, yet containing the background singers and discrete instruments as needed. The lead vocal is not center channel only but across the fronts, but in those front 3 channels are discrete elements that can be located by ear. Very nice.

Not every tune is a winner, but to me the highlights are "One Track Mind" (as I posted all of those years ago above), George Harrison's under rated classic "Love Comes to Everyone", and "So Tired". These are nice songs to listen to. They're not "Layla", and they're not supposed to be.

While I had the DualDisc in the PC I watched the video portion which consists of commentary and studio performances of 5 of the songs, including "One Track Mind". This is cool. Another nice feature of DVD-Audio that went away with the format. Saddens me as the potential was there but totally missed the general public.

Anyway, my original vote above was an '8' and I stand by that today. Mix = 10, Fidelity = 9, Content =7, and extras are great. You even get 5 guitar picks!!! If voting today I would still probably give it an 8.

Back