HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - BACK HOME [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Eric Clapton - BACK HOME

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Eric Clapton continues to wave the HiRez Multichannel banner when most others have bailed. What do you think of this new release? (y) :phones (n)

(TOUR EDITION SCAN can be found in post #7 of this thread)

Attachments

• eric.jpg
    eric.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 596
JonUrban said:
Eric Clapton continues to wave the HiRez Multichannel banner when most others have bailed. What do you think of this new release? (y) :phones (n)

(y) This is what a DualDisc should be. HiRez MC along with compelling visual content. There are those "EC is God" fans that will bemoan the pop nature of this record, but it is a well crafted album of personal songs about his new found domestic bliss. Over the past few years Clapton has really tried to emphasize and develop his skills as a singer. He aquits himself quite well on this record - and don't worry, he can still toss off a blistering solo when the time is right. The title track, "Back Home" is a lovely acoustic number and benefits greatly from the MC mix. The mix itself is quite natural and warm. There is quite a bit going on in the rear channels - a very wide soundstage, though thankfully, not a lot of panning and swirling. The video is a well shot wide screen presentation featuring 5 full songs from the album in Dolby 5.1. Combining comments from Clapton regarding the making of and featuring him "performing" in the studio. I give it a 9 for sound and an 8 for content. Nothing earth shattering - but a well crafted pop album with great playing and production.

Good write up, elmer!

I was painting my kitchen and listened to this whole disc twice. After finishing, I sat down and watched the video portion, and I have to say I am starting to really like a few of the tunes a lot.

You're right, this is a DualDisc that shines. HiRez DVD-A, nice video content.

"One Track Mind" is my favorite cut at the moment. I give this one an '8', and that should not be considered a negative. It's a worthy purchase.

This is my first Dual Disc purchase. I have a Pioneer DV-47A, apparently my player does not like this disc as it cannot find the menu screen. It just sits there searching in a state of confusion, then finally defaults to the high resolution stereo tracks. I was able to access the hi res MC tracks using the search feature to group 1. The same with the video portion. I hope this is not common to all Dual Discs and my player! It loads just fine in my less expensive Sony DVD-video player.
Oh well about the disc itself, I initially thought the content was average leaning toward pop R&B. After my third time through its really growing on me. The sound quality is very good, the surround mix is nice, nothing radical but fits the mood of the content well. My favorite track (so far) would be "Lost and Found". The video portion with comments by EC is a great bonus feature and done well. I give it an 8.
So aside from compatibility problems, this Dual Disc does have what we are all looking for, that being high resolution multi-channel sound. Too bad all Dual Discs don't have MC DVD-Audio tracks. I guess we'll take what we can get!

DennisMabry said:
This is my first Dual Disc purchase. I have a Pioneer DV-47A, apparently my player does not like this disc as it cannot find the menu screen. It just sits there searching in a state of confusion, then finally defaults to the high resolution stereo tracks. I was able to access the hi res MC tracks using the search feature to group 1. The same with the video portion. I hope this is not common to all Dual Discs and my player! It loads just fine in my less expensive Sony DVD-video player.
Oh well about the disc itself, I initially thought the content was average leaning toward pop R&B. After my third time through its really growing on me. The sound quality is very good, the surround mix is nice, nothing radical but fits the mood of the content well. My favorite track (so far) would be "Lost and Found". The video portion with comments by EC is a great bonus feature and done well. I give it an 8.
So aside from compatibility problems, this Dual Disc does have what we are all looking for, that being high resolution multi-channel sound. Too bad all Dual Discs don't have MC DVD-Audio tracks. I guess we'll take what we can get!

That's strange because I have a 45a and there are no problems loading anything on this disc as with all other discs in my collection. I know I have said it before but this player has paid for itself just because there is no aggravation with anything. In fact if you put the DVD side of the disc in and leave it, it autostarts after awhile on the hi-rez surround track. The music has also grown on me and Lost and found is also my favourite. Too bad it ends abruptly. Someone screwed up there. I find that if you concentrate on the music and not the lyrics on this disc it will come across a lot better. I gave it an 8. A 6 for the music and a 10 because Eric is giving us what we want, hi-rez. Even though it is only 48/24.

l listened to this twice last night, and I really like it. I like most of EC's albums, but this one has some really good songs. The sound quality is great, and the surround mix is adventurous to my ears. The bonus video was also enjoyable. I gave it a 9.

I had no problems playing this disc on my Denon 2910 universsal player. Haven't tried it on the Alpine head unit in my car yet, but all four of the other DualDiscs I own work just fine on the Alpine. I also haven't tried it on my Pioneer DV-588 yet, but if there are any problems, I'll report back here.

For those interested, here is a scan of the actual FAN CLUB edition DualDisc. Beware eBay sellers palming the regular DualDisc off as the FAN CLUB edition. If it does not have this sticker on it, it's NOT the FAN CLUB edition.

All DualDiscs come with the 4 guitar picks!

Attachments

• fanclub.jpg
    fanclub.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 520
I gave this a spin last night and I really like it. Wonderful sound with a nice, full surround mix. Definitely very laid-back and a bit too comfortable for my tastes, but enjoyable nonetheless.

First the good. The mix is very good. One of the best I have heard in awhile. Also the sound quality is very good as well. The bad news is I found the music to be very boring. Not bad exactly, just not good either. If you are a clapton fan you will probably find this disc worth picking up, but there is nothing on here to convert anyone or even grab the casual listener's attention (other than the surround mix). Sound quality and mix got a 9 but content got a 5 so I gave it a 7 overall.

Last edited:
Good surround mix, and fairly nice music. Not Eric's best, but not near his worst. I like it, i gave it an 8. :)

Ideally I would vote twice. I've given the US version an "8" for the hi-rez mix and content. The European version would get a "1" for restricting the mixes to Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 (no hi-rez) and the authoring cock-up at the end of track 7 which repeats the last few bars of the track after the abrupt ending before going into track 8.

On the plus side, this is the best dual disc i own. based on my gut feeling that a year or two from now we'll only be talking about dual discs with regard to new multichannel releases, i consider this pretty big news. Back Home is a quality release; nice mch dvd-a mix, decent extras, no problems playing either side in any of my players. on the down side, the fact that EC has mellowed with age hasn't done much to enhance his music ouput.

I think even a Poor Clapton album is better than some others' good albums. I thibk this is a grower. And , at least he still takes time to put out hi-rez.
Not as good as Ridin with the King but still damn good !

M

When I heard the first track of this one, my thoughts were: What a terrible busy sound, most thing at the same level. This got better (or I got used to it) after hearing a couple of more tracks. The surround mix is exciting (y) , the music not, but I heard much worse :rolleyes: .
Unfortunately I only heard the Dolby Digital so I won't vote ... What went into that record company to leave out the DVD-A in Europe :mad:@:

I am relieved:eek:

This was my first Dual Disc Purchase as well. After hearing that DennisMabry could not get it to play on his 47a, I was skeptical. Then I read that Guy Robinson was able to play it on his 45a. I was hopeful!

My 45a played it without a hitch:banana:

Now the review. I rated it a 9. Yes, the music is laid back but it is pristine. At his age, this is probably how he feels. The surround mix is not overly aggressive and is easy to listen to. My main interest is the use of DVD-A on this flipper disc. DVD-A is my first choice in MC and it does my heart well to see that this medium is in fact "NOT DEAD.":smokin

Well Guy, if you only knew my recent luck you would laugh!

Nothing surprises me anymore:mad:@:

You gotta love the 45a though(y)

Okay, I will be kind .....mediocre at best. This is the worst of his many mediocre outputs during the years. Thank God for the few shining stars he has given us. He may be the most inconsistent performer in history.

mwheelerk said:
Okay, I will be kind .....mediocre at best. This is the worst of his many mediocre outputs during the years. Thank God for the few shining stars he has given us. He may be the most inconsistent performer in history.

May I suggest that we really shouldn't pan a release just because we don't like the music. After all, we are looking to this site primarily for feedback on the sound quality and surround mix. There are plenty of other sites we can visit to read a review of the music (www.allmusic.com), and we all have our own opinions anyway.

In this case, I believe the sound quality and mix are excellent - this is one of the best DualDisc releases I've heard, and I would love it if other studios emulated this disc.

At the very least, we should be weighting fidelity, mix, and content equally. If people were doing that, I can't fathom how anyone could rate this disc a 1 or a 3. Even if you hate the musical content, the great sound and mix would have to raise the rating to at least a 6 or 7.

While it's not up to me, I would prefer that the voting here would address sound quality and surround mix as separate ratings, and leave the content out entirely. Just my 2 cents.

Back