Quad LP/Tape Poll Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Atom Heart Mother"

• Total voters
As an owner of the UK Q8, I was excited to hear the new high resolution release. Man I was not disappointed. As I love this album I give at a 10.

I've seen reports thet the end of 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast' has been cut off/shortened compared to the original -- true?

My SQ LP decode seems to be complete the 'drips' at the end become a loop that fades out.

I've seen reports thet the end of 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast' has been cut off/shortened compared to the original -- true?

My SQ LP decode seems to be complete the 'drips' at the end become a loop that fades out.

I don't think I ever heard a version where the drips fade out. I'm almost certain they're supposed to just stop.

The 24-96 quad remaster from the bluray matches the Q8 precisely. The drips cut off (no fade out).
My stereo copy (MFSL vinyl) starts repeating in the locked lead out groove a few drips before the Q8 or bluray cut off.

I don't have a copy of the SQ encoded vinyl to compare to.
Maybe the one that fades is a reissue? I've seen other vinyl albums that originally had one of these lead out groove 'infinity repeats' have this cheaply removed for later pressings. Including such pressings so famously notable for this as Sgt. Peppers.

Heh. The Rush Fly By Night HD remaster lets the end of side 1 run for a minute or so past where the lead out groove started repeating on the vinyl.

The quad mix of AHM was done by Alan Parsons in 1973 (I'm pretty sure; I believe he remixed this into quad after DSOTM).

It really is an awesome mix, even for SQ. In my opinion it is one of the better SQ discs as it sounds really great even on my modest system. Even when just playing the SQ disc in stereo, the mix is much better than the stereo (which does sound kinda cramped). The quad really opens it up.

I have always wondered about one thing though. Is the US Q8 of this title comparable to the DSOTM US Q8 (matrix decoded?) or is it truly discrete?

Wasn't it done in 1970?
The notes for the early years 1970 Devi/ation tells the quad mix is from 1970 produced by Pink Floyd & Norman Smith and Parsons (+ Peter Brown) was engeneers...

Wasn't it done in 1970?
The notes for the early years 1970 Devi/ation tells the quad mix is from 1970 produced by Pink Floyd & Norman Smith and Parsons (+ Peter Brown) was engeneers...

So the notes in the Early Years Box are wrong? Or is it only for for stereo mix even when the credits are written for the quad mix?

From where do you know it was made i 1974?

;)

Because:
1) by 1970 Abbey Road did not have a quad facility studio mixing desk.
2) very unlikely that a band that still had to break big would do a quad mix for... what?
3) it was mixed for quad *after* DSOTM
4) it has a 1974 date (very clear on the USA cart)

Because:
2) very unlikely that a band that still had to break big would do a quad mix for... what?

Thx for info!

So don't trust the notes in the Early Years Box!:-/

The early mix of Echoes is likely the first surround mix they produced in the studio. Produced to play for a record company party. I don't know the engineering details. Maybe they used their live quad board?

Pompeii would be the 2nd Pink Floyd surround mix produced. It would have been mixed sometime in 1973 I think. This is a very early and primitive surround mix in the long and short of things but it actually follows some of the live surround panning moves they were doing in concert at the time and generally benefits from the doubled dynamic range of quad vs. stereo.

then:
DSOTM 1973
AHM remix 1974
WYWH 1975

They never went back and remixed Meddle at the time. Animals was after the demise of the consumer release formats (and long before they came back).
There weren't any consumer formats for surround sound + video until modern times. Pompeii would have been lost forever if we hadn't found a cinema print hiding in a library. The studio quad mix master was lost.

Last edited:
Pompeii would be the 2nd Pink Floyd surround mix produced. It would have been mixed sometime in 1973 I think. This is a very early and primitive surround mix in the long and short of things

That may be true of the extremely rare quad mix that was recently unearthed, but the 35mm 4-track magnetic prints with the standard LCRS layout sounded fantastic.

It is kind of odd that the quad mix seems a bit less in your face than the LCRS.

Because:

I think it's possible that it was mixed in quad in 1970.

Abbey Road had an eight track mixing studio in 1970, how many tracks would you require to have a quad mixing facility ?

The band "Floyd", were very much more experimental with "QUAD" than say The Beatles might have been. Afterall they were presenting their live concerts in quadraphonic and had been since 1967.

Both my quad lps state 1970, and although it could be an error, I would have to go with what the current liner notes in the new "box set" tell us. It's conceivable that it was 1970 in my opinion.

The Q8 you refer to is the "bastardized" Q8 that Capitol U.S. utilized from the SQ master tapes they were sent by Harvest/EMI. The tape says 74 and could be the correct date but those masters were a "Huge missed opportunity" by Capitol U.S. to issue SQ encoded discs ! By 74 Capitol U.S. had made the decision to format quad in Q8 only.
The UK Q8 , of what I've seen does not have a date. (I could be mistaken).

FWIW, my Q8 of Atom Heart Mother says 1070 on the back of the slip of paper that came with the tape with a circled P before the date. I suppose the P is for patent but patent for what.

FWIW, my Q8 of Atom Heart Mother says 1070 on the back of the slip of paper that came with the tape with a circled P before the date. I suppose the P is for patent but patent for what.

Code:
[FONT=Roboto]The sound recording copyright symbol, represented by the graphic symbol ℗ (a circled capital letter [/FONT]P), is the copyright symbol used to provide notice of copyright in a sound recording (phonogram) embodied in a phonorecord (LPs, audiotapes, cassettes, compact discs, etc.).

Back