Quad LP/Tape Poll Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Atom Heart Mother"

• Total voters
Thanks for the updates, guys. I recently picked up the Blu-Rays for DSOTM and WYWH. I found a pretty reasonably priced copy of the Discovery box set (maybe now I know why) and I picked up all of the PF original vinyl (Stereo) back in the early '90's when it was both plentiful and cheap. (I've got a Mo-Fi of DSOTM) That takes a lot of incentive off of seeking alternative mixes, etc, but if I can find that smaller set, that just might be the ticket.

I have never heard this album...maybe my friend Rafi played the LP in a smoke induced haze about 35 years ago...and if he did , I obviously did not find it very memorable....

Wow. You are obviously not a Floyd fan. The title track is epic. The mix is excellent in quad. If you like Floyd at all, it is a must have.

For me, the standout track on this album is Gilmour's "Fat Old Sun". "If" is OK, but the rest just sounds like a lot of filler.

Title track filler? Never heard anyone say that before...

Wow. You are obviously not a Floyd fan. The title track is epic. The mix is excellent in quad. If you like Floyd at all, it is a must have.

Well, it all depends on what your definition of "fan" is....
PF is a very "complex" group...

As it is I have yet to really discover the early stuff , which I NEVER "got", maybe cause I found it too "amateurish" and , at the same time too "out there"...
I USED to have "Relics" but it "disappeared" from my LP collection..
I have "A Nice Pair" with the original "dentist's office" photo,
Electric Moo (without the "Gigi" LP") on LP,
Meddle US LP,
I had DSOTM on MFSL until my TT decided to scratch the hell out of "Brain Damage" which made it unplayable (and , yes , I cried when it did that, hence , my love for linear tracking TTs since then)-now I have only the German SQ LP and the Quad DVDA
WYWH on US Stereo LP with the original sticker-also the UK SQ Version, and the original 1st pressing on CD which I found out was a collector's item and sold for a lot of dough on fleabay (and the Immersion Box Set, the ONLY one I have of the bunch...WYWH , to me is their best...even though I admit their masterpiece was DSOTM, which I can only listen to in Quad...once you go Quad there ain't no going back!)
Animals on a lovely Jap pressing
a first US pressing of "The Wall"
and the 1st US pressing of "The Final Cut"

Also the 1st US pressing of ADSOT on CD...
TDB on Standalone DVD,
and TER on BluRay (which I really like)

Would you think a real fan would have the original Pompeii on LASERDISC?? well , I do and I love it!

I do NOT like the Roger Waters dominated era, even though I saw him in Barcelona (traveled from Madrid to see him) in 2007, it was a SPECTACULAR concert...got NONE of his solo albums (too neurotic for me)

Also have D Gilmour's first LP USA 1st pressing with the hype sticker ,
his "About Face" 1st US pressing LP
and RTL on BD (which I really don't like)

so , would that qualify as a "fan" for you?
Maybe not a HARDCORE fan , but I think I AM a fan...

To quote comedian Stephen Wright: "You can't have everything...where would you put it?"

Well, it all depends on what your definition of "fan" is....
PF is a very "complex" group...

As it is I have yet to really discover the early stuff , which I NEVER "got", maybe cause I found it too "amateurish" and , at the same time too "out there"...
I USED to have "Relics" but it "disappeared" from my LP collection..
I have "A Nice Pair" with the original "dentist's office" photo,
Electric Moo (without the "Gigi" LP") on LP,
Meddle US LP,
I had DSOTM on MFSL until my TT decided to scratch the hell out of "Brain Damage" which made it unplayable (and , yes , I cried when it did that, hence , my love for linear tracking TTs since then)-now I have only the German SQ LP and the Quad DVDA
WYWH on US Stereo LP with the original sticker-also the UK SQ Version, and the original 1st pressing on CD which I found out was a collector's item and sold for a lot of dough on fleabay (and the Immersion Box Set, the ONLY one I have of the bunch...WYWH , to me is their best...even though I admit their masterpiece was DSOTM, which I can only listen to in Quad...once you go Quad there ain't no going back!)
Animals on a lovely Jap pressing
a first US pressing of "The Wall"
and the 1st US pressing of "The Final Cut"

Also the 1st US pressing of ADSOT on CD...
TDB on Standalone DVD,
and TER on BluRay (which I really like)

Would you think a real fan would have the original Pompeii on LASERDISC?? well , I do and I love it!

I do NOT like the Roger Waters dominated era, even though I saw him in Barcelona (traveled from Madrid to see him) in 2007, it was a SPECTACULAR concert...got NONE of his solo albums (too neurotic for me)

Also have D Gilmour's first LP USA 1st pressing with the hype sticker ,
his "About Face" 1st US pressing LP
and RTL on BD (which I really don't like)

so , would that qualify as a "fan" for you?
Maybe not a HARDCORE fan , but I think I AM a fan...

To quote comedian Stephen Wright: "You can't have everything...where would you put it?"

I don't consider myself a hardcore fan either. I don't have every show on bootleg like some, but I do have every studio release in one form or another and I like them all, even their last, Final Cut. I don't consider the ones after that one true Floyd albums but I did however see the live shows associated with them. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was probably the best live show I have ever seen and easy top three out of the nearly 100 concerts I have seen. It was in surround sound! Tampa Stadium...

I think you will like AHM. The title track, one album side, isn't very "far out there" as some of the earlier stuff. You will hear some of the style develop that eventually evolves into DSOTM. The quad mix of the title track is what puts it over the top and makes it a masterpiece in its own right, and in my opinion epic. The songs on side two are not as revolutionary and pretty basic as far as old Floyd goes other than Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast which is a bit out there. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed...

Title track filler? Never heard anyone say that before...

Well, here are Waters and Gilmour's own take on the title track per Wikipedia.

Critical reaction to the suite has always been mixed, and all band members have expressed negativity toward it in recent times. For instance, Gilmour has said the album was "a load of rubbish. We were at a real down point ... I think we were scraping the barrel a bit at that period" and "a good idea but it was dreadful... Atom Heart Mother sounds like we didn't have any idea between us, but we became much more prolific after it." Similarly, in a 1984 interview on BBC Radio 1, Waters said "If somebody said to me now – right – here's a million pounds, go out and play Atom Heart Mother, I'd say you must be fucking joking."

Judging from those comments, calling it filler might have been a bit too kind.

Critical reaction to the suite has always been mixed, and all band members have expressed negativity toward it in recent times. For instance, Gilmour has said the album was "a load of rubbish. We were at a real down point ... I think we were scraping the barrel a bit at that period" and "a good idea but it was dreadful... Atom Heart Mother sounds like we didn't have any idea between us, but we became much more prolific after it." Similarly, in a 1984 interview on BBC Radio 1, Waters said "If somebody said to me now – right – here's a million pounds, go out and play Atom Heart Mother, I'd say you must be fucking joking."

They are too cool for their own music. Doesn't cloud my opinion in the least. Doubt any of them actually sit down and listen to their own stuff for entertainment, especially in quad.

Your're not the only one who wants to hear this one. Your wait will soon be over as it will be included in the upcoming Pink Floyd box set and early in 2017 in a smaller set.

Where did u get this info??

I agree with Himey.

The title track "in quad " is something to behold . The SQ mix never dissapoints, so I can only imagine the 2017 blu-ray set will amaze.

When it comes to both Waters and Gilmour ,comments by them on some of their early works are less than complimentary. Electric Moo comes to mind. They really should listen to their fans, especially the ones that "glomed on" to their recordings early on, and still do.

Now ...really tell us how you realllyyyy feeeel...

;)

:eek:

..if the geezer I got it off hadn't been so nice.. and in Brazil.. (to be fair it was v.cheap) I'd have sent it back!

so.. count me in for the separate set with AHM Quad included whenever it emerges next year.. I'd love to do the big a$$ box set next month but just can't stretch to it :upthumb

It didn't stop Gilmour from performing with Ron Geesin, a band, an orchestra and choir a few years ago. I thought it sounded great as well.

:eek:

..if the geezer I got it off hadn't been so nice.. and in Brazil.. (to be fair it was v.cheap) I'd have sent it back!

so.. count me in for the separate set with AHM Quad included whenever it emerges next year.. I'd love to do the big a$$ box set next month but just can't stretch to it :upthumb

I'm the same way, feel this was a bit of a fan fleece, it's a nice compendium that should have cost about half as much, I just saw Roger is worth about several hundred million so it's not like he needs the cash...

I'm the same way, feel this was a bit of a fan fleece, it's a nice compendium that should have cost about half as much, I just saw Roger is worth about several hundred million so it's not like he needs the cash...

I'm not happy about the price either, but apparently it's been in the works for TWENTY-TWO YEARS and involved a massive worldwide effort with a jillion translators and l*wy*rs. I don't think we're paying for the music and materials as much as we're helping recoup the fortune that went into its creation.

As an owner of the UK Q8, I was excited to hear the new high resolution release. Man I was not disappointed. As I love this album I give at a 10.

As an owner of the UK Q8, I was excited to hear the new high resolution release. Man I was not disappointed. As I love this album I give at a 10.

When it is supposed to arrive as a standalone disc without the extra fluff?

Back