Quad LP/Tape Poll Eagles: One Of These Nights [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "One Of These Nights"

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 3 12.5%

Votes: 6 25.0%

Votes: 10 41.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 1 4.2%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
Having just gotten a quality DTS version of the Q8, I love this. I'm glad the Eagles and Doobies are so well-represented in the WEA catalog - two of my fave groups of the 70s. The surround mix is pretty active, especially on the title cut. I like it a lot! I gave it an 8.

A "7".

The mix is pretty effective but the Q8 to DTS sounds so dull and typically eight-track, it spoils it for me.

Why was this not released as a Quad Reel back in the day?

I think you're correct about Asylum, but Elektra did have QR releases. Best of the Doors, and Carly Simon, off the top of my head.

I have the purple Q8 of this title, and it's one of the best sounding Q8's I have. The quad mix of the title track is worth the price of the tape, even on eBay!

It really pulls the guitars out of the mix, especially the intro guitar that plays through the whole song. In the stereo mix, you can barely hear it when the song gets going, on the tape it's there loud and strong in the rear left. If you like to listen to guitar parts, this Q8 is the ticket.

Some of the songs are weak, that's for sure, but if you can get a good purple Q8, it's a nice quad demo of music most people know (well, the hits anyway)

the two Eagles and the four Doobies Quads should all have been Rhino Handmade Quadio releases... that was a half a dozen sure fire sellers right there.. but they went with Aretha, gadzooks and the rest is Her-story..!!! :mad:

I love this one to death.
Sadly I only have a Q8 copy, and the fidelity is a tad on the muddy side but this is the old, well loved tape and not the mix.
Superbly done I think - it opens up with perhaps one of their best ever tracks (t5he title track) and I really like the bass gliss in the left rears as a detail.
I would very much like to hear a high quality copy where the tape has not lost so much top end.

I'm going to go out on a limb andf give this a 10. Really beutiful mix for beautiful material. Unlike a lot of people, I never get tired of Lyin' Eyes!

I have the purple Q8 of this title, and it's one of the best sounding Q8's I have. The quad mix of the title track is worth the price of the tape, even on eBay!

It really pulls the guitars out of the mix, especially the intro guitar that plays through the whole song. In the stereo mix, you can barely hear it when the song gets going, on the tape it's there loud and strong in the rear left. If you like to listen to guitar parts, this Q8 is the ticket.

Some of the songs are weak, that's for sure, but if you can get a good purple Q8, it's a nice quad demo of music most people know (well, the hits anyway)

Do you feel that the purple carts are better sounding than the orange ones (specifically to this title or generally speaking)? Which came first?

I echo what others have said about this title, the mix is superb - it's one of those titles where it sounds like the quad mix got just as much attention as the stereo mix. If a hi-res version of the quad mix were available I think it would easily be most people's go-to version of this album.

Not rating "like-ability" of songs here - too subjective for me.

I agree with those above that One Of These Nights and Journey Of The Sorcerer stand out as fine examples of mix work.

Vocal clarity suffers and gets smothered for the most part. Also some cringeworthy muddled segments.

So, unfortunately, the mixed bag makes me apply a mediocre rating.

Do you feel that the purple carts are better sounding than the orange ones (specifically to this title or generally speaking)? Which came first?

I echo what others have said about this title, the mix is superb - it's one of those titles where it sounds like the quad mix got just as much attention as the stereo mix. If a hi-res version of the quad mix were available I think it would easily be most people's go-to version of this album.

I now have both the orange cart and purple cart versions. I can safely say that the purple carts sound much better than the orange cartridges. The purple cartridges sound brighter, have less hiss and are recorded with a much hotter signal. A good example is that on the orange cartridge, I could barely hear a piano playing along on the song "Good Day in Hell". Purple cartridge: the piano is very noticeable.

The orange cartridges are the first issue, the purples are re-issues from 1976 or possibly even later. I know not when they were deleted from the catalog, but judging that the final Tony Orlando release is from 1976 and ONLY appears on purple cartridge, I'm going to assume the other purple cartridges are also from '76 or later.

I was never a big fan of The Eagles in their early days but after the addition of "JOE WALSH " they and their newly aquired heavier rock style made me somewhat of a fan.

That being said , Walsh is not on this album but this is one of their great sounding, very discrete CD-4 discs. (y)

Almost an anomaly of sorts and I would recommend this QUAD disc very highly. It's an enjoyable listen and the CD-4 disc is one of the final ones from WEA U.S. -ASYLUM .
Mine was in a stereo jacket with the Quadradisc sticker.

-nine (y)

Anybody else with the cd-4 get squeaking sounds from the left channels during the last half of Lyin' Eyes through the beginning of Visions? Besides the squeaks which of course are mostly during my favorite song on the album it is a pretty good cd-4.

Here is a spectrogram of a section of Take It To The Limit. If you look just above 20khz in the left channel you can see what is causing the squeaks.
limitcd4.png

This snapshot is a sampling of the two un-demodulated channels, or what else?

Back