HiRez Poll Bon Jovi - SLIPPERY WHEN WET [DVD-A DualDisc/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Bon Jovi - SLIPPERY WHEN WET

• Total voters
This disc is a total winner. This is one of the classic 1980s rock and roll albums and the surround mix brings out the music like gangbusters. This album totaly benefits from DVD-Audio. Let's see New Jersey on DVD-A next! Two big greasy thumbs up. 8.

I bought this because borders had buy 3 get one free. I am truly amazed at the work they put in to this. 9

I had never owned this album in any format and never owned anything else by Bon Jovi either. Trying to find good rock surround sound discs for me means buying discs I would not have purchased without surround sound. This album is pretty good and the surround better than most I have purchased so I am going to try "Have a Nice Day" although it sounds as if it won't be as good.

Chris

Finally i got this title today and... boys, it rocks really!
Never been a big fan of BJ however this album was quite good anyway... but in surround it is close to a masterpiece. For sure a good blueprint on how to mix in excellent 5.1 a rock album. The perfect disc to blow the house down!
A definitive 10.

Fidelity is not what shines on this disc, but like almost everyone I must admit I wasn't expecting the surround mix to bring this record to such a level (I did not own it before on CD despite the fact I knew all the songs of course, being a big rock / hard-rock listener and having a tape of it a long time ago).

Just like Eugenius, I think that the quality of the surround mix does vary depending on the tracks, and some of them are disappointing, especially the smash hit "Livin' On A Prayer". The talk-box guitar during the verse is awesome, but when the chorus comes in, it's all flat !! :(

"Wanted Dead Or Alive" is on the other hand, really great. Definitely more subtle than the others.

I rate it 7/10.

Another album that I didn't own in the heyday; I knew the hits and remember the videos from MTV.

This was a surprisingly fun listen with what they'd done with this album. The mixing was almost always engaging, the songs well though out for the most part. Nice touch to have the aforementioned videos that I'm sure helped the band get so big.

I'd almost give it a 10 but reserve that for real out-of-body surround experiences. :)

Just got this from Amazon. Never owned it before.

Sonics are ok--they don't pop like you would hope they would. But overall, not a bad disk. All things considered (classic 90's standards, music videos, etc), pretty good value.

I love this - definitely comes under the heading of "guilty pleasure" though.
BTW - has anyone spotted the nod to Spinal Tap on the rear sleeve?
(the audio is in "Dolby Surround & Dobly Stereo")

I gave it a "7" years ago and I'm still in that "nearly but not quite" range on this.

Mostly because I'm just not into the music all that much (and believe me I'm no musical snob!)
plus I find some of it a bit over-bright and brittle sounding.

Still, nice to have.. and a nicely put together package. If you were a BJ fan, I'm sure this would set your pulse racing!

Interesting to see QQ Jons' theory that this must have been one of Universals' 150 SACDs for '05 that never happened (including the leftover Eltons and the Steely Dans..!!) God I could CRY..!!!!

I gave it a "7" years ago and I'm still in that "nearly but not quite" range on this.

Mostly because I'm just not into the music all that much (and believe me I'm no musical snob!)
plus I find some of it a bit over-bright and brittle sounding.

Still, nice to have.. and a nicely put together package. If you were a BJ fan, I'm sure this would set your pulse racing!

Interesting to see QQ Jons' theory that this must have been one of Universals' 150 SACDs for '05 that never happened (including the leftover Eltons and the Steely Dans..!!) God I could CRY..!!!!

This one pulled its punches way too much. The information is there in the stereo to make a much more separated mix. One of those "why couldn't you do better" mixes to me.

Oh man. I just popped this in again and can't get past how awesome this disc is. For some reason, I thought it sounded muddled when I first got it, but listening to it right now, while it's not up there with e.g. Avalon, Boys & Girls or Brothers in Arms, this disc just sounds frickin fantastic. Let's face it, the music is a guilty pleasure, and both the mix and audio quality shine. In addition, the extensions they worked into the songs are great and really add to the experience. This is how it needs to be done.

Note that it's 24/96 even though the cover only says 24/48.

A winner all the way. Giving it a 9.

I saw this concert in '88. My kids know this music and I can share some stories from that time and how it relates to this music. I like the surround and clarity of the dvd-audio. I gave it an 8.

I saw this concert in '88. My kids know this music and I can share some stories from that time and how it relates to this music. I like the surround and clarity of the dvd-audio. I gave it an 8.

Pretty sad that I am quoting my own post, but for some reason, my rating didn't register, so I voted again. This time around it got a 10 from me. I gave this because I have really grown to like this. Add to that my kids love this stuff as much as I do, it is lossless, the bonus videos, and the fact that it has my prom song (Never Say Goodbye), and Social Disease (which I sampled the beginning to make some interesting mixes back in the day). It isn't really a guilty pleasure, but chocked full of memories and what I consider to be the best dualdisc I own. I wish every dualdisc was like this, and God knows how successful it could have been...

I think it sounds pretty damn good - I can't give it a 10. I mean, I cannot compare the mix to any of Steve Wilson's stuff....so I give it a 7. Still, for what it is, I think it's a no-brainer to buy...if you like the music. Glad I have it...and if I ever want to listen to Slippery When Wet, this is the version I listen to.

Picked up the blu-ray very cheap, glad I did!

I played "Wanted.." for my wife, it's one of her favorites. The enveloping but not very discrete surround mix fits the 80's wall of sound genre very well. This would have been great kegger music in my 1975 dorm room :)

The mastering is BRIGHT as the sun and the music is a bit compressed by nature. Have to knock off a point for that.

The blu-ray has a beautiful background graphic as it plays, with lyrics! Adds to the experience.

'8'

Another benefit of upgrading from the DualDisc to the Blu-ray Audio is that unique mixes that accompany the music videos are also available in a lossless format as compared to Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1.

Another benefit of upgrading from the DualDisc to the Blu-ray Audio is that unique mixes that accompany the music videos are also available in a lossless format as compared to Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1.
I really need to buy this...I used to own the DualDisc...only years ago, my kids got a hold of it and lost it.

I played a few tracks the other day. I like the music and the performance but the sound quality is typical of what I would call compressed arena rock along with over emphasized highs. That's why I only gave it a 6. But I'm keeping it for those head banger days!

I played a few tracks the other day. I like the music and the performance but the sound quality is typical of what I would call compressed arena rock along with over emphasized highs. That's why I only gave it a 6. But I'm keeping it for those head banger days!

I love the content...but it's a product of the 80's...and what some call the "bombastic" sound...if you love rock...and I do...it's something that you have to live with in a lot of these titles...

Back