DVD/DTS Poll Winter, Edgar - Jasmine Nightdreams [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Edgar Winter - JASMINE NIGHTDREAMS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Jasmine Nightdreams was only available in a standard jewel box. Until the last couple years, it was not available on CD, making the DTS even more desirable. I bought this as an SQ new release in the day. It is one of the great overlooked Quad/DTS CD's.
0710215462028.jpg

Thrilled you're enjoying it so, Gmat25! (y)

Its quite possibly, for me, the best vintage Quad mix to have made it out in the DTS spell (though Clapton's "There's One In Every Crowd" on DTS CD gives it a good run for its money, while being less flashy than Edgar W., its a terrifically immersive mix.. Simply cannot wait for the upcoming Clapton box set to have it in 96/24 BDA.. among other goodies!).. in fact I'd say the Edgar DTS holds its own pitched up against Sony's brief SACD flirtation with reissuing old Quads (Ship Ahoy and Blow By Blow = reference Quad).

Pretty sure Edgar only ever came in the regular sized jewel case.. similarly some other Quad to DTS discs, Poco "Crazy Eyes" and Stephen Stills' "Stills" (both pretty good mixes but not upto Edgar, Eric, Jeff or O'Jays standard) never got repressed (I guess they sold poorly?) and so never got repackaged in the later oversized SJB+ DVD-A style cases, like the 2 x Wings, 2 x Moodies, 2 x Clapton's, Steve Miller etc did, as those DTS titles and a few others are available in both size cases.

Thanks Fredblue. Listened to the final three jazz cuts last night. A great way to end the day!

Jasmine Nightdreams was only available in a standard jewel box. Until the last couple years, it was not available on CD, making the DTS even more desirable. I bought this as an SQ new release in the day. It is one of the great overlooked Quad/DTS CD's.
View attachment 11871

was my hunch right Linda? I reckon most of the Quads on DTS sold poorly and didn't get re-issued in the larger DVD-A SJB's?

The Moodies, Wings, Steve Miller, etc did get re-released in different (DVD-A style) packaging but I've never seen Poco/BTO/Edgar/Stills/Mystic Moods in anything but CD jewel cases.

oh how I wish DTS was still doing its thing with those vintage Quads.. they're magnificent!

OK, this one is musically more "adventurous" and a "showxase" Quad mix...but another overlooked gem is ...
View attachment 11885

I found a conversion of this somewhere sometime that I burnt to DVDA (buggered if I can find the DVD-R disc now though..!!) and really only enjoyed the instrumental at the end.. but recall the mix being excellent! If I find it I'll give it another spin, seeing as it gets the Kap's seal of approval :)

there's also other Edgar stuff (backdoor Robin reels?) like the one with Easy Street on it and TOCOAN that I found conversions of, again I really don't look after those burnt discs (stupidly) I think some may be in a CD wallet thing but I prefer the actual act of reading liner notes and having pretty pictures and the real thing on a silver-pressed disc to any recordable media/downloads. I'm immensely grateful to the talented converters etc but I'd rather pay for legit releases of course,as I'm sure everyone at QQ feels the same.

"You've got to give the people.. give the people what they want.."

Thanks Fredblue. Listened to the final three jazz cuts last night. A great way to end the day!

Yeay! Aren't they amazing! Real reference Quad stuff I reckon!

You can tell you've got all your ducks in a row with this mix = the way those keyboards pan around the room, if they pan beautifully smoothly right around the room! without any gaps/delays/volume discrepancy, you know you've got your 4 speakers setup juuuuuuuuust right..!! (y)

Perhaps I'm painting with too broad a stroke, but all DTS CD's, DVD-A's, SACD's and Quads sold poorly. To my knowledge, the only titles which sold well were marketed as single inventory releases, ala Elvis' Hawaii CD-4, Abkco Rolling Stones SACD's (not even labeled as such on the outer package), etc. Dark Side of the Moon might be the exception, having sold respectably in Quad and SACD.

Brad Miller's demise must have played a role in DTS Entertainment/Miller Nevada ceasing operations. Perhaps Tad or others more intimately familiar with that story could expound.

All this saddens me. The 1000+ surround discs I've collected over the last 40+ years have served as a wonderful balm.

was my hunch right Linda? I reckon most of the Quads on DTS sold poorly and didn't get re-issued in the larger DVD-A SJB's?

The Moodies, Wings, Steve Miller, etc did get re-released in different (DVD-A style) packaging but I've never seen Poco/BTO/Edgar/Stills/Mystic Moods in anything but CD jewel cases.

oh how I wish DTS was still doing its thing with those vintage Quads.. they're magnificent!

Another reason to cease operations is to sell all of your now out of print inventory at exhorbitant prices for years to come.

Haha, bullying regulars now about their poll scores - are you getting a royalty on these discs? I think I might start calling you Fredgar Winter! ;)

Haha, bullying regulars now about their poll scores - are you getting a royalty on these discs? I think I might start calling you Fredgar Winter! ;)

haha! I wouldn't dare! Besides, there's no pushing the Quaddess around!

I like that name, it has a ring to it! have you voted for Fredgar's funky DTS yet? :p

DON'T YOU STRONGARM ME YOU MANIAC! Having said that, I haven't voted but I will now.

I think an 8 would do it for me, -1 for not being high-res, and -1 because as good as it is songwriting-wise it's not Steely Dan or Led Zep or something.

DON'T YOU STRONGARM ME YOU MANIAC! Having said that, I haven't voted but I will now.

I think an 8 would do it for me, -1 for not being high-res, and -1 because as good as it is songwriting-wise it's not Steely Dan or Led Zep or something.

HA!! :ugham:

eight carries its weight (y) indeed.. Steely Dan or Zeppelin it is not! still, that Quad mix.. schhhmokin' hot!

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh. The mix is great and the best tracks are among the best he ever did. Still, some of the material is uneven, but highly recommended. And I must have liked it, 'cause I bought the SQ in the day and the DTS about 15 years ago. Many folks on here wouldn't have bought this, but for my high praise.

I noticed you only gave this a "7" QL..! :yikes

Just came in the mail today. I don't know how I missed this one! I voted a 9. Excellent late-era CBS quad mix, very discrete with some great around-the-room pans. The last three tracks are incredible, definitely demo-worthy stuff.

It ain't They Only Come Out At Night or Shock Treatment, but it's absolutely worth the $20 or so it seems to go for lately.

"One Day Tomorrow":

"All Out"/"Solar Strut"/"Sky Train":

Last edited:
I'd bet that a D/V reissue in quad on SACD would blow the DTS outta the water.

Great title from DTS, unexpected choice when you think of what all - and whatever else they might have chosen.

I recall the first time I saw this album in the new release bins. It was early summer 1975, Odyssey Records Las Vegas, NV. This store was legendary - imagine a very large store and open 24 hours a day. New releases on LP were $3.66 the first week they were out.

Finally found a mint copy of Jasmine Nightdreams at a bargain price ($10!) and just finished listening. I've always like the stereo album (Edgar is always a fun ride!), and I like this disc a lot too. Being the original Seventies mix, it is not particularly active but it is nicely discrete, with lots of guitar licks appearing in the rear speakers alongside the percussion. Plenty of great songs on here too, including the leadoffs "One Day Tomorrow" and "Little Brother", culminating with the extended mind-trip "Solar Strut". I think the EQ could have been a bit brighter (I listen nearly flat), but I suppose that's a choice best left to the individual listener. All 'n' all I found it enjoyable and I'm very glad to have it in the collection...finally :)

Back