HiRez Poll Talking Heads - BRICK [DVD-A DualDiscs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Talking Heads - BRICK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the brick. I saw a new set on eBay last month for $99 and I hesitated and lost it. So when I saw one today for $179 I ordered it. I am excited.

I gave this one a 7. It's good, but on the later albums, David Byrne's vocals are mixed WAY down and the percussion is mixed way up. I'm used to the original 2 channel mixes, and they were much more focused on Byrne... which makes sense because he's the centerpiece of the band. The early albums are closer to the originals, but the use of surround isn't as imaginative. It's a solid B.

When it first arrived at The Lair, which sadly had to be abandoned :( back in the day, I held the little white chunk it in awe...and then my wife said something like "Ooh, cool...and videos, too?" Well, we spent a few evenings enjoying the hell out of it. What I also dug was that the limitations were explained in detail, for better and worse. And it's still the one box that that I like just for its unique yet ergonomic design. It would be a showcase piece, except every so often, I'll pull one out and just let it rip.

Pick to click: "Road to Nowhere," a very minor radio hit but a major video success.

ED :)

I find that transition from the acappella intro to the main body on Road to Nowhere on the 5.1 jarring! Just a tiny bit missing that's on the stereo mix.

EDIT: By this I don't mean anything missing from the acappella, but the slight run up on the first chord that's cut off on the 5.1.

I gave this one a 7. It's good, but on the later albums, David Byrne's vocals are mixed WAY down and the percussion is mixed way up. I'm used to the original 2 channel mixes, and they were much more focused on Byrne... which makes sense because he's the centerpiece of the band. The early albums are closer to the originals, but the use of surround isn't as imaginative. It's a solid B.

Holy harsh grader alert, Batman! :yikes ;)

First, in the Chicago Poll you intimate that no Quad can go above an 8 because the rears are too loud and the vocals get drowned out due to there being no centre channel.. and now The Brick gets a 7.. :D

I would suggest, if you link the two issues you express having
1.) with Chicago Quads and Quad mixes in general
and 2.) with the more active surround mixed Talking Heads albums

= vocals upfront drowned out by rear activity..
..there's a potential front to back setup anomaly that would bring about those scenarios in both cases imho. In other words, have you checked your surround setup recently before reviewing these discs?

Naked is my favorite surround sound mix in the bunch. It is so clean and crankable. The percussion instruments engulf! Lyrics sometimes funny, sometimes deep. I listen to this one more than the others and they are all great. The 5.1 mixes of Stop Making Sense are excellent too, with or without video...

I gave the set a nine because it is a tad loud compared to my reference sound quality discs. As great as it is, I think it could actually be improved with a careful remaster from a high end label like AF.

I would suggest, if you link the two issues you express having
1.) with Chicago Quads and Quad mixes in general
and 2.) with the more active surround mixed Talking Heads albums

The vocals in the Chicago set are in the mains. The vocals in the Talking Heads set are mostly in the center. Completely different channels. My Elton John and Steely Dan discs have perfectly balanced multichannel. A 7 out of 10 isn't a bad score. That is above average. Some of the discs in this set individually might rate higher, and some lower. But 7 is an average. Not everything rates a 10. Perfection isn't typical and typical isn't perfect.

The vocals in the Chicago set are in the mains. The vocals in the Talking Heads set are mostly in the center. Completely different channels. My Elton John and Steely Dan discs have perfectly balanced multichannel. A 7 out of 10 isn't a bad score. That is above average. Some of the discs in this set individually might rate higher, and some lower. But 7 is an average. Not everything rates a 10. Perfection isn't typical and typical isn't perfect.

The Rears are in the Rears in both cases, regardless of whether the vocals are coming out of the Centre or the Front L&R.

Hence, as I already mentioned, my feelings you may have some as yet undiagnosed front to back setup issue there.

Meantime, I can assure you I've been voting in these QQ Polls for a while now and I try to consider all aspects of these discs carefully before I vote. Also, I do my best to ensure my surround setup is correct before voting.

In an instance where I suspect (but don't know for sure) that there may be some issue, I ordinarily hold off voting until such time as I can establish what's going on.

Meantime, I accept what you're saying re: not everything's a 10, it's an imperfect world and all that.. but when a new member such as yourself comes along and starts voting things down on the basis they have weak vocals up front and overpowering rears, well to me it looks like something might possibly be amiss with their rig.

I'm only trying to help out, you can choose to ignore the well-meaning advice of others here of course and blame the discs for being poorly mixed, it's up to you.

Not to worry. It isn't a balance issue. I listen to multichannel recordings and movies just about every day. My system is very carefully calibrated. Quad just doesn't have as tightly controlled front soundstage as 5.1. The reason is, the center channel is more effective than letting the left/right mains create a phantom center. And as for Talking Heads, I think David Byrne's lack of involvement in the multichannel mix had something to do with his vocals being downplayed on the later albums.

My last word to you here on the subject, respectfully, Quad is only inferior to 5.1 with regard to the front soundstage in your opinion and in your experience.

We could go on like this all day but this is a QQ Poll for discussing the Brick 5.1 set and not debating all of that other stuff. Ta ta! :)

The EMI released sets are generally harder to get hold of (the last three albums) for a good price, or least they have been for a few years. I don't know if they went out of print earlier.

It's been awhile since I listened to these albums...

I spent a couple of hours flicking through many of the songs a couple nights back and I couldn't help thinking this release must be the best surround box set of all time.

The audio quality/fidelity and mixes are quite superb! This should be re-released as a BDA set so many others can get a chance to experience it.

It's been awhile since I listened to these albums...

I spent a couple of hours flicking through many of the songs a couple nights back and I couldn't help thinking this release must be the best surround box set of all time.

The audio quality/fidelity and mixes are quite superb! This should be re-released as a BDA set so many others can get a chance to experience it.

HomerJAU's post reminded me I never voted on this set. I ended up having to get titles a number of different ways, including a few cd+dvd releases.

In terms of the 5.1 mixes, the music, and the content, I voted a 10. In terms of how much I enjoy the music and the value, we are approaching Chicago Quadio enjoyment and bang for the buck. The DualDisc format has been understandably a sh**show for some people, but it did not cause me any pain.

I've always loved the Talking Heads, but these mixes/releases catapulted them into my top five.

Back