HiRez Poll Talking Heads - BRICK [DVD-A DualDiscs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Talking Heads - BRICK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Why can't I give this release a 12? :confused:

Okay, I'm only about 6 songs into listening and cannot contain my enthusiasm! I Love Love Love how this was done!:banana:

I joined the Talking Heads boards just now and was bummed to find that Jerry is the only one w/o fan email connection. I so wanted to thank him for what he has done with this package.

I listened to Artists Only and Take Me To The River as these were the earliest memories of songs by the band. Now I'm listening to Fear Of Music all the way through. And these aren't even the "good" ones in terms of surround??? Whoever said there wasn't sufficient bass on this album ought to have a hearing exam or upgrade.

Holy Christmas, this stuff is incredible so Remain In Light ought to interstellar. Each album booklet starts off with an explanation of the 5.1 mix and Jerry was almost apologetic about these albums. There is absolutely NOTHING to apologize for!

I'm already hearing quality and serious intent and dedication to doing a proper 5.1 mix that is musically satisfying, brand new ear-opening levels of high fidelity and a meaningful mix that gets it right.

Alright, I got to say it; this is already on par with Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms in terms of detail and getting it right and I've got 8 discs of this stuff?

Buy it and die happy! :smokin Highest recommendation possible...

Well said, Tim. It truely is a big surprise to find such a great set coming out at a time when we least expect it, DualDisc or not.

I got my Brick today and just got done listening to Remain in Light & Speaking in Tongues. WOW, this is great stuff. The mix is fantastic. I will wait to vote til i hear them all, but sure looks like it will be a 10 vote.
As much as i liked the first mix of Burning down the house, the alternate version blew me away. After hearing the first version, i didn't think it could be any better, but there it was, an even better mix. GREAT.:banana:
Gotta go and listen to one more tonight, then more tomorrow.:sun

I've given these some time, and overall--sound, mix, content, packaging--if there we an '11' I'd give it that rating, even if the mixes seem to improve album after album, with the last four albums particularly strong, but everything was mixed with great care and fun. Jerry deserves a HUGE bravo!

As for the DD situation, there is no point harping on it. I know we'd all have preferred DVD-A's to DualDiscs, but this is what we must live with, and the music and presentation are well worth it all, IMO.

:ed:

Well I couldn't take all this talk anymore so I went and ordered it. Along with the 2 Nickel Creek SACD's the Running On Empty DVD-A/CD set and another Living Presence SACD. It's interesting but the Running On Empty DVD-A on amazon.ca says "Ships within 24 Hours". Bet it is still a screw-up from July when it was last supposed to be released.

There are 3 songs on Little Creatures that I totally forgot about that I can't stop playing. The Lady Don't Mind, Walk it Down and Television Man. My God do they sound sweet in 5:1.:sun
There is nothing better than preparing a :smokin :mad:@: and putting on any of these discs. :banana:

bobou2 said:
There is nothing better than preparing a :smokin :mad:@: and putting on any of these discs. :banana:

Yes, the brick is indeed a quality of life upgrade. How did we ever survive without it?

Just received it. Incredible. It shipped from amazon.com on Friday afternoon and it arrived today around noon in my Superbox. Less than 3 business days to Canada. Delivered without any additional taxes or customs fees. Of course I put on "Speaking in Tongues" first. If this disc is any indication this is a 10. Love it. You have to hear it to believe what they have done with this. I will listen to all 8 discs before I post a score though. Tried the CD side as well just for fun. Sucks in comparison to the DVD-A but at least it plays without skipping. The 45a comes through once again. May take a while before I get around to the 2 Nickel Creek SACD's that arrived with it. For all you Canadians the Talking Heads Brick came through on my Credit Card at less than $150 Canadian. This is with expedited shipping. A lot less than buying it from any Canadian retailer.

Last edited:
Okay, I just got through the entire thing. It's a 10. Not sure how it could be much better. It's very consistent throughout and is definately the required release for 2005. The mixing and sonics sort of remind me of the Bob Dylan "Long Train Coming" SACD which is one of the most pleasing sounding discs to me. I kind of like how the videos are played automatically after the main album tracks and alternate mixes. I actually can't wait for my friend to come over in a few days. He is a huge Talking Heads fan and is heavily into MP3's. He doesn't have a surround sound system because he doesn't think he needs one. Oh yeah, he has the huge video display but he is running stereo with it. This could be his "Killer App."

Who gave it a 9? Maybe because some players have issues with the DVD-A? However, this is the fault of the player and not the discs. In a perfect world I guess the disc manufacturer should test the discs out on a lot of different players and report to the equipment manufacturer that the disc doesn't work on their player(s). Then you will either have the equipment manufacturer fixing their software or they will just report back to the disc manufacturer that their authoring is screwed up. The disc manufacturer is probably going to say that they followed the spec, as no doubt they did, as the discs work on the majority of other players. Catch 22.

guy - i'm curious, what's the first song you're going to play for your friend? i was in a similar situation last week and went with the alternate mix of "Burnin' Down the House'; for my wife on the other hand, i went with 'Television Man'. Which nugget of gold to share first?

;)
bugdaddy said:
guy - i'm curious, what's the first song you're going to play for your friend? i was in a similar situation last week and went with the alternate mix of "Burnin' Down the House'; for my wife on the other hand, i went with 'Television Man'. Which nugget of gold to share first?

That's a difficult question but I think I am actually going to let him choose. This is such a strong set that I don't think he could actually go wrong on anything. Then if he doesn't choose the alternate mix of BDTH I will force it on him. ;)

BananaSlug said:
Tell him to make plenty of time, he'll likely want to hear them all once he gets started. :)

I'm bringing down Brick to a friend who is a big T-Heads fan. He went out and got the firmware upgrade for his 563a(after months of prodding from me:D )just to hear this...I expect a long session:phones

The first track I put on was my personal favorite, This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody). The mix on this, and the rest of SPEAKING IN TONGUES, and REMAIN IN LIGHT and FEAR OF MUSIC, is simply incredible. I love the way they layered the bongos, maracas and other background instruments in the surround channels. For me, these are worth the price of admission. The songs that are primarily guitars, drums and vocals, like most of the songs on TRUE STORIES, and some of LITTLE CREATURES and NAKED, don’t have as much going on in the surrounds, but have plenty of presence.

The DVD-A sides played without problems on my Pioneer DV-47Ai. The few videos that I viewed weren’t very good. The sound was unbalanced and weak, lacking the dynamic of the DVD-A tracks. A much better TH video is on the Stop Making Sense DVD. The sound is great and the video crisp.

I feel cheated that I can only give this a maximum of 10.:D If I could give 10 points per album, I’d give it a 74.

Now, if we could only get Jerry Harrison to remix all the Tom Tom Club, Casual Gods and Heads albums in multichannel…

Last edited:
Guess what sits atop the HiRez Poll for November 1??? :D

Back