HiRez Poll Talking Heads - BRICK [DVD-A DualDiscs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Talking Heads - BRICK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Having this Brick set justifies my faith and money in building a HT with music surround sound.

Talk about demo music! :D

I have played 77 and Buildings and Food so far and I am amazed!!! Incredible mixes....and that's on the first two albums, some with only 8 tracks of instruments (as Jerry said in his notes, he was worried about these 2....nothing to worry about!!!). Ted Jensen's mastering is top notch. They are "crankable"!!! Already got in trouble from the wife!:D

" Having this Brick set justifies my faith and money in building a HT with music surround sound. "

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely beautiful mixes , respectful of the original mixes of the music but enhances it in a new , vital and interesting way.

:sun :banana: :sun

~M~

I was listening to this last night and thought, this mix is what I want, when I think of MC music. I really like these mixes.

A '10'

I assume that anyone who hasn't bought it by now is waiting on the individual discs release. I'm also guessing that those waiting aren't huge fans. So, to you I would recommend starting with 'Remain In Light' and 'Speaking in Tongues.' These are both great discs in all respects. I would consider that 'Remain In Light' is their artistic zenith, and 'Speaking In Tongues' their most fun record to listen to. For people that like RIL and SIT 'Little Creatures' in a good disc, pretty tame, but well done - a mature disc is how I'd describe it. You could also continue your collection by going back to the first 2 discs which I find to be excellent. They don't have as much going on, so the surround mix isn't as awe inspiring, but the music is great and the mix suits the music very well. The third disc 'Fear of Music' is a transition towards RIL and SIT and very good as well. The only thing I would recommend is skipping 'True Stories' and 'Naked' until you are sure that you need the whole Talking Heads collection.

Enjoy!

Okay, I finally bit the bullet and convinced myself that this must be worth $119, based on all the positive reviews I've read both here and other places.

Now, this was a HUGE gamble for me to sink this much money into an artist's catalogue as I had never heard a single Talking Heads album before in my life. The only songs I knew of theirs were: Psycho Killer, Take Me to the River, Once in a Lifetime, Burning Down the House and And She Was.

Before this, the only artists whose entire catalogs I own were The Beach Boys, Genesis and R.E.M.

This set has absolutely blown me away. To approach this, I decided to just start at the beginning, with 77. I figured I'd probably just listen to like two albums a day since that's all that would keep my interest. How wrong I was. I went through the whole box set in one sitting!!!

This stuff is absolutely amazing. Why I had never listened to this band's material before is beyond me. These guys rock!!! I just could not get enough. The surround mixes on all of these albums seem to be pretty much the same in style and they're all amazing. The sound quality is second to none. Obviously I am in no position to pick the albums apart song-by-song, or pick the songs apart considering I am hearing all this stuff for the first time, but I will say that I had never heard "And She Was" so good in my life. Wow.

I will give this entire set a 10 without even blinking. Absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
analogdemon said:
Now, this was a HUGE gamble for me to sink this much money into an artist's catalogue as I had never heard a single Talking Heads album before in my life.
I will give this entire set a 10 without even blinking. Absolutely amazing.

I am in the same boat having never owned a T heads album..

I have been sitting on the fence on this set - was planning on getting a couple of used CD's and see if I like em enough to buy the set...

This post motivates me to get a few CD's and try em out..

Thanks

Jon, now that the first four discs are out individually, are you going to list each disc separately in the poll? I bought three of them today, and I'm sure I'll buy the other five, so I could post my vote here after I get them all. But if you're going to list them separately, I can vote sooner! And some people will probably get just a few discs, and they really shouldn't vote on the box set.

I will. However, I am currently working on a change to the poll section (in the guts, you won't see it), so I don't want to add any titles until this weekend.

Hang in there.

New here....

I've read of the problems some have with these dual discs. I have had none with my Elite DV-45A.

I love this set. Always have loved the music but now....wow, simply wow.

You might want to check the credits listed on each of the booklets contained in the box set. Each disc was remixed for Surround by ET Thorngren and Jerry Harrison and mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound.

elmer said:
You might want to check the credits listed on each of the booklets contained in the box set. Each disc was remixed for Surround by ET Thorngren and Jerry Harrison and mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound.

Yup. I just learned of my error earlier today. I will be writing a correction tomorrow.

BTW, that statement has been in print for a month and on the website for a week but I was only informed of the error when I posted a link here. Mebbe I should run my stuff by you guys first. ;-)

Kal

Hey - I would love to see your reviews first on this forum- any new info on Surround titles works for me - especially as you review some classical titles which tend to get short shrift here. I guess I could always subcribe:eek:

elmer said:
Hey - I would love to see your reviews first on this forum- any new info on Surround titles works for me - especially as you review some classical titles which tend to get short shrift here. I guess I could always subcribe:eek:

Smiley was intentional. There are rules I must obey. OTOH, the columns are posted if the $12/year is a problem.

Kal

I am a little confused. Are the discs in Brick Dualdiscs? I bought three Talking Heads albums yesterday in London (of six on sale) and they are separate discs, CD and DVD-A. I've only had a chance to play a few tracks from Little Creatures and first impressions are very good. I was never a TH fan, but the shortage of software makes you buy music you wouldn't otherwise, and then you discover some real gems.

Since the discs are released by EMI in the UK, the whole marketing policy of record labels is totally incomprehensible - DSOTM being SACD here. It really is a the epitomy of marketing suicide to swap formats, such as A&M did in the 1970's. I have a universal player and, as I did in the quad era, I buy anything I think may be alright whilst I still can. at least I can enjoy the music for years to come whilst the record companies try to squash any decent music into a micro sized compressed file that must be good because you put it in your pocket, not because it sounds real. Oh, just realised I'm obviously not their target audience!!

Hi Omega,
as far as I understand it the DualDisc Brick is only available in the US (and it's really DualDiscs).
It seems that in Europe these get released as special edition single titles with seperate CD and DVD-Audio. At least it's the same here in Germany.
Personally, I'm a sucker for Collector's Editions and box sets, so I ordered the Brick from the US (haven't got it yet, though). I'm not sure if this was the right decision: usually I don't like the DualDisc as much because these are non-standard discs and there's no guarantee they will play in any device.
Best regards,
Oliver

Yeah - DualDiscs in North America, two discs in Europe. It's a patent thing. Your profile says you have a Denon, you won't have any problems playing the DVD-A side of the DualDiscs. Make a copy of the CD side if you want to play it.

I guess on the Denon I have no reason to play the CD side, since I generally much rather listen to the multichannel mix (and I guess the DVD-Audio side has a Hi-Rez stereo track anyway...)

I have one DualDisc (Dar Williams: the beauty of the rain; OK, it's Silverline, but I like it, so sue me ;)) and I've listened to the DVD-Audio side for a few times. Your posting made me realize that I actually never tried to play the CD side of this thing, so I popped it in, and the Denon plays it without problems. :D

However: I sent one DualDisc back (Crowded House), because I had trouble playing the Hi-Rez multichannel track on the DVD-Audio side :(
Someone suggested somewhere that there was something fishy with the file structure on this disc, probably some copy protection scheme. I just hope that I won't run into the same problem with the Brick...

Best regards,
Oliver

BananaSlug said:
Yeah - DualDiscs in North America, two discs in Europe. It's a patent thing.
I don't think so. There have been a number of DualDiscs released in Europe (a lot of them with DD or 2.0 PCM and/or some video stuff).
It might be a manufacturing issue or just strategy (2 disc are in fact cheaper to manufacture than a DualDisc, and it looks like you get more).

Back