HiRez Poll Talking Heads - BRICK [DVD-A DualDiscs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Talking Heads - BRICK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I think one has to be very familiar with the original material to truly appreciate just how spectacular the surround mixes are. And you have to consider that none of these titles were recorded with surround-sound in mind, which makes the end result even more impressive, if you ask me.

The box itself is piece of juxtaposed minimalist art. You can't buy all the individual titles and claim you have the same thing as the box set. The box set is a presentation befitting an "art rock" band.

Chris, you mean after posting the exact same rumination here and getting responses on that very topic, you're still puzzled to the extent that you felt it necessary to repeat the same comment? Now THAT has me puzzled.

Anybody watch Antique's Roadshow? Say that Betty Bodagget brings in her Tiffany lamp that aunt Irene left her. The appraiser says that this particular lamp came as a pair. The value of the single lamp is worth $1,000 but if she had both, the set would be worth $3,000.

It's not a direct correlation but I believe this analogy works. Yes, a box set can rate higher than the average rating of the individual discs. Why is that so confounding for you? I mean, this ain't Ripley's material we're talking about.

I never saw the response and didn't recall the post, if I had, I likely would have responded to the original response. I couldn't rate a box set that has individual discs that average 8 or 9, a 10 in total, makes no sense to me and I won't do it. The box set is the average of the individual discs is how I would rate it. I have seen your nonsense repeated where you deduct points for Dolby Digital discs being Dolby Digiital, so nothing much I see from you surprises me.

Chris

Given what they had to work woth for source material (as documented in an outstanding EQ or Electronic Musician mag a couple years back), the Talking Heads surrond mixes are nothing short of MIRACULOUS! Besides being highly listenable of course. We're not just talking baking the reels but also early 1980's automation for mix cues by plastic cards that no longer exist. They literally had to work by hand to get those mixing aspects in the ballpark and then work it some more.

Talking Heads '77 sounds much better than I ever thought possible; Naked is more interesting than it ever was in stereo. In between are bonifide classics such as Fear Of Music and Remain In Light, which everyone should consider hunting down if the box seems too much.

There are still some copies in Best Buy and such so hop to it.

I never saw the response and didn't recall the post, if I had, I likely would have responded to the original response. I couldn't rate a box set that has individual discs that average 8 or 9, a 10 in total, makes no sense to me and I won't do it. The box set is the average of the individual discs is how I would rate it. I have seen your nonsense repeated where you deduct points for Dolby Digital discs being Dolby Digiital, so nothing much I see from you surprises me.

Chris
Wait a minute, you manage to dredge up something I posted three years ago but you can't remember something you posted two months ago? Should I be surprised by that? Nothing I see from you prompts me to move you one iota from the absolute center of the "just doesn't get it" pit, and from that perspective there are never any surprises.

but the percentage of 10 votes here is surprising and doesn't make any sense since the individual releases aren't rated nearly this high except "Remain in Light". There may be a concept regarding how the sum is greater than the parts here, Chris

I am inclined to think that the majority of voters that have picked up the brick are more than a casual TH fan and probably find the whole package awesome for reasons that Cai and others have pointed out. Perhaps those picking up the individual discs are not as familiar with the band and therefore may not be inclined to think of them in the same light (and vote them as high).

For me, the brick is a 10 but Naked individually would only rate a 5. I am just not into those songs.

One really had to be there when they put out their first record to fully appreciate how square the world was before T H. I remember around, damn, was it 1977 or earlier these nerdy, super intelligent, college student’s formed a band called the Talking Heads and put out their first record. You had to go to Berkeley to meet and talk to other people (and to actually get the record) who we’re abuzz about this thought provoking band. Amazingly, they got major AM radio air play (at least around here in the S. F. Bay Area) with their first record and became famous. Even more amazing is they pushed the envelope of what music should sound like and changed the underground / above ground culture. KSAN FM played the shit out of their first records in the 70's. Many bands in the 1980’s had success copying their type of sound. Not bad for a band that used to play CBGB’s in N.Y. All these years later, it’s easy to forget these fact’s now in the 21st century and not appreciate how far they’ve come and how much they’ve accomplished musically. These are only some of the reason’s why this band is so beloved and respected.

Amazingly, a format called DVD-Audio was invented and a box set of all their records was released that contained the original Stereo and Multi-channel mixes. People, save your money and buy this box set (for under $100) while you still can!
This one is a no-brainer 10. IMHO. :)

I am inclined to think that the majority of voters that have picked up the brick are more than a casual TH fan and probably find the whole package awesome for reasons that Cai and others have pointed out. Perhaps those picking up the individual discs are not as familiar with the band and therefore may not be inclined to think of them in the same light (and vote them as high).

Splinter7 took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers, as the case may be). The music fan who ponies up the money for a box set is probably already a fan of the music and more inclined to be blown away by the package. A higher poll rating is the logical result.

I love what I have heard from this set so far, but I haven't listened to every disc yet. Even "Naked" has its moments musically, but it's too tempting to grab a more popular disc when the TH itch appears.

Mark Z

For me, the brick is a 10 but Naked individually would only rate a 5. I am just not into those songs.

I think we have a lot of voters on the Brick that also voted on the individual discs, but 8, 9 or 10 ,whatever it is, it is a great set. I thought Naked was such an awful piece of drivel when I heard it long ago, that I avoided it, but now I am open to getting it as well. It was such a surprise to me when Warner put this set out, I had no idea this music was commercial now.

Chris

Is there any difference in the tracks that are on the dual discs vs the tracks on the dvd-Audio Cd sets availble in Europe I want to get the cd dvd-audo instead of the dual discs

Thanks

Green

Is there any difference in the tracks that are on the dual discs vs the tracks on the dvd-Audio Cd sets availble in Europe I want to get the cd dvd-audo instead of the dual discs

Thanks

Green

I tried to find the answer to this and couldn't but I seem to recall reading the DVD-A sides are identical and that makes the DVD-A and separate CD to be preferred in my opinion. I wouldn't pay much of a premium to acquire the preferred versions but for the same money or close, I would get the separate disc versions.

Chris

About the only dual disc I would want is the Brothers In Arms over the SACD version. Otherwise I like the seperate discs. If the DVD-Audio portions are the same then I would prefer to get the DVD-Audio CD versions. They are available now for about 19.25 and around 5.00 shipping each. That come out to about the same as the brick I think on a per disc average.

Green

About the only dual disc I would want is the Brothers In Arms over the SACD version. Otherwise I like the seperate discs. If the DVD-Audio portions are the same then I would prefer to get the DVD-Audio CD versions. They are available now for about 19.25 and around 5.00 shipping each. That come out to about the same as the brick I think on a per disc average.

Green

This is way i went with these titles. Firstly because I could buy the titles I really liked and secondly because much prefer the Dvda to a dual disk. I have now collected all of them other than Naked. This was my least favorite of all their titles and have been looking for a good price on that one for Dvda so might still get it one day so that I have the whole set.
Amazon.uk has been a pretty good place to find the titles in cd\dvda.

This is way i went with these titles. Firstly because I could buy the titles I really liked and secondly because much prefer the Dvda to a dual disk. I have now collected all of them other than Naked. This was my least favorite of all their titles and have been looking for a good price on that one for Dvda so might still get it one day so that I have the whole set.

funny, I bought Naked becuase it was on sale at Borders paid £3 for it. What a great album much betther in My opinion that the earlier albums. which I cherry picked based on songs that I knew.

As it turns out a great collection of songs from a band I knew little about untill surround came about

I just ordered Speaking In Tongues, Talking Heads 77 and More Songs About Buildings and Food. The CD DVD-Audio 2 disc sets not the dual discs. I plan on ordering the rest later when more money come in. They were about 18.23 per two disc set!

Green [email protected]

Last edited:
No they were not from AmazonUK I have found sellers on Amazon to be extremely slow in responding to requests. I do not know if they are PAl or NTSC However as responsible quadrophreaks shouldnt we all have universal players that can convert between formats? :banana: Also unless I am wrong the DVD-Audio itself should work on any DVD-Audio cable player? As I get these for the sound video for me is like breasts without nipples...pointless.

Green [email protected]

This is what I did too, bought all of the DVD-A/CD sets over a period of time from Amazon UK.

IIRC most were in the 5 to 6 pound range at the time (maybe 18 months ago).
They were actually cheaper than buying the DualDisc versions at retail here in Canada.

I got mine off ebay. I found them while looking for something else. They were on Ebay.uk so what I did was put them in my list of watched items. Then when I logged into my ebay account here in the U.S. They were in my watched list with the price already converted into dollars. They had a buy it now price.

Interestingly, when I did a search for them on DVDA I got zero hits when I did a search for CD DVDA they came up. 18.23 each I belive ies less than the dual discs at Best Buy. I still have to get Remain In Light and Fear of Music. Hopefully soon the Sugarhill Gang DVD-Audio will be here hence why I couldnt get them all at once. Sugarhill is coming from the USA and was made by Rhino.

Green [email protected]

Back