HiRez Poll Talking Heads - BRICK [DVD-A DualDiscs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Talking Heads - BRICK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I've had good luck with my small collection of DualDiscs (about 10?) with the most recent being Dire Straits Brothers In Arms (thanks again GabeL). Plays fine on the Oppo 93 as well as the Acura (TSX) Panasonic ELS, same with Grateful Dead American Beauty. Funny thing, the Acura Tech Package manual suggests that DualDiscs won't work with the system.

EDIT: Forgot to include the recently acquired used Brick. Good on the 93.

This box set is terrific. Uniformly brilliant surround mixes and loaded with extra tracks and videos. I'm not crazy about the DualDisc format but fortunately I don't have an issues with playback.

The best price was actually on discogs, of all places.

Still insane prices even there.. why don't Rhino just reissue the bloody thing!? Do they want to make money or not? The set is still selling (previous sale on Discogs before you bought it now was as recent as 25th October this year) even for stupid money on the 2nd hand market.. these are sales Rhino could be generating income from (to fund more QUADIO!!) as it is they get sweet FA from any Brick sold now.. but then they could only sell every one of these surround discs they ever made..!!!! Dumber and Dumber-er.. :ugham:

Baggy scored it for below retail, shipping included! :banana:

Excellent. Congrats, man. I definitely think this set is the greatest set of surround albums to be assembled together, even better than my beloved Genesis sets. All 8 albums with truly amazing surround mixes that accurately represent all of their music in surround. I hope you love it! :)

Excellent. Congrats, man. I definitely think this set is the greatest set of surround albums to be assembled together, even better than my beloved Genesis sets. All 8 albums with truly amazing surround mixes that accurately represent all of their music in surround. I hope you love it! :)

Totally agree with Ryan, you should love this set.
I bought seven of these individually when I found out you could buy them as cd\dvda sets but I did get the last album Naked as a dual disk and it plays fine in my car and at home so hopefully no issue for you with the dual disk setup.
That these all came out as one surround package and quality that went into it, fantastic job done by Jerry Harrison on these surround mixes.
I was a fan of about half of these albums before this release and after this release came out I now like all the albums.
You should have alot of fun going through these.

peter

Excellent. Congrats, man.

I think sometimes an individual gets impatient and doesn't want to wait to get full "market price" or maybe the market doesn't bare prices set formerly and an individual is the first to adjust.
There is a set on discogs for $185, which isn't terrible and an auction on ebay with 0 bids for $189 that somebody might be able to snipe. My seller on discogs only charged $4 shipping, btw.

It was this thread that pushed me to search for the set. I'm not sure I've ever read elsewhere quite the level of gushing over a set, so it was a "must." I agree, if every album is mixed well, this is a bargain at any price under $200, IMO. I have other DualDiscs that all play fine. I think they are all (or tend to be) Dolby, so hopefully El Oppo will access the DVD-A layer without issue. I've heard one of the albums, though I can't remember which. It sounded great. I was only familiar with one song. "Once in a Lifetime" maybe? I find them tolerably weird, fun and uplifting.

I am a moderate fan of the TH's material I know. I'm looking forward to delving in to this baby.

Ryan, I have the first Genesis Box set, and pieced together the albums I like from the other two eras (around 1/2 those albums). I enjoy all those titles and mixes. It was actually finding an Invisible Touch CD/DVD in a bargain bin for a couple of bucks a few years ago that made me curious to hear music in 5.1...

... I have the first Genesis Box set, and pieced together the albums I like from the other two eras (around 1/2 those albums). I enjoy all those titles and mixes. It was actually finding an Invisible Touch CD/DVD in a bargain bin for a couple of bucks a few years ago that made me curious to hear music in 5.1...

I managed to pickup most the Genesis box set and Talking Heads brick titles as individual purchases at a local Australian music chain (JB Hi Fi) by visiting about 6 or 7 local stores and digging through their bargain bins a few years back. Seems someone there decided to break them up to sell more easily. Actually they weren't that cheap but cheaper than buying the box sets (if that makes sense). I still visit their bins to this day, but never anything in surround these days.

I had no idea this had become a collectible. I bought my copy in February of 2014 during a half off all used merchandise at the FYE in Philadelphia. $49.68 with 8% sales tax.

I went with a 9.
Plain white cases are a bit annoying. I'm not familiar enough with the albums to know what is missing. Blank spines for the sake of the box art concept? Sure.
At least give us the backs.
Anyway, I was also a bit put off by so much "4 on the floor" kick drum action. All right already, you want us to dance! Break that shit up a bit though. There's a good few albums where it is solid disco kick drum. Glad they begin to vary it up quite a lot by the time Little Creatures drops.
Great collection. Mixes are stellar.

Back