What's your favorite DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogdemon

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie here, so I figured I'd make my first post a simple question.

What is your favorite DVD-A disc? Rate it based on any criteria you want: sound quality, mix quality, bass, whatever. Out of your entire collection of DVD-Audio, what's your favorite?

Mine has to be The Doobie Brothers' "Captain and Me". The mix on that is incredible. A close second is Snow Patrol's "Final Straw".

analogdemon said:
Hey everyone,

What is your favorite DVD-A disc? Rate it based on any criteria you want: sound quality, mix quality, bass, whatever. Out of your entire collection of DVD-Audio, what's your favorite?

Mine has to be The Doobie Brothers' "Captain and Me". The mix on that is incredible. A close second is Snow Patrol's "Final Straw".

hey analogdemon, Bob From North Kingstown here.

Welcome to the forum.

My favorites are:

Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" and "Deadwing"
Blue Man Group's "Audio"
Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" & "Say You Will"

Check out the High Rez polls on the front page.

Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits and the two Fleetwood Mac ones.

analogdemon said:
Hey everyone,

The Doobies is a good one. Just on sound quality alone I would have to pick Crowded House. When you start to mix the sound quality with the music quality there are many more ( literally a hundred or more) that lie in that neither region.

For titles originally released pre-mainstream 5.1 tech, I would say that it is a tie between Steely Dan "Gaucho" and ELP "Brain Salad Surgery."

For newly released music, I would give Beck's "Guero" the nod over Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" but only by a slim margin.

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Bjork - Vespertine
Metallica - Black Album
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Steely Dan - Everything must go. The 2-ch 192kHz/24bit track is just awesome. (y) (y) (y)

analogdemon said:
Let's not forget Queen - A Night at the Opera. My favourite demo disk for when the unwashed quadnots come for a visit. Cheers, Mike.

Welcome Analogdemon!

My favorite for sound is "Everything must go" Steely Dan

For sound & content Seal "Best 1991 - 2004" & Beck "Guero"

Thank you for asking about our DVD-A favorites as this is the one format that I would hate to see fade away! :smokin

Frantic "Belair, Maryland"

'Brothers in Arms', Dire Straits ; Buena Vista Social Club and Natalie Merchant 's 'Tigerlily' for relaxing and just about anything from the Talking Heads Brick Box for freeing the music from the restrictions of earlier formats ;)

M

These days my three favorites are:

The Corrs - In Blue, great surround mix.

Linkin Park - Reanimation, excellent use of the mutli channel format, and a demo for what DVD-A is capable of, contains many cool features including 4 videos that can be accessed when the song plays or from a menu.

Corrosion Of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer, very simple and basic but discrete surround mix, it really shows how heavy rock benefits from DVD-A Hi Rez surround, the sound is big, full, clear, and deep.

sspsandy said:
Corrosion Of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer, very simple and basic but discrete surround mix, it really shows how heavy rock benefits from DVD-A Hi Rez surround, the sound is big, full, clear, and deep.
:eek:

I have that and like it but seeing that Silverline disc as a top 5 choice is unexpected. I actually own about 5 Silverline DVD-A's I would put in my top 10 of the 50 or so DVD-A's I own. There are some gems in their catalog and underated too according to DVD-A fans.

As of today, my favorite DVD-A is R.E.M. "In Time The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003".

Chris

My favorites change frequently, but for the last several months have been pretty constant:

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing; and
Talking Heads - Remain in Light

DVD-A only?
OK,
Queen - A Night at the Opera - for the surround :phones
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms - for the cleanness :smokin
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon - for the near perfection of a classic. :banana:

Lonster

it's a tossup between B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding With The King or Roy Orbison - Black & White night. I think the mix and audio quality of black & white night is superb.

Back