What's your favorite DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeffrey r said:
I've only been able to give Bad Haggis a 20 minute spin or so, and that was with my 14-month old running around, so I can't say anything definitive as of yet. If you have the new HD Sampler from AIX, there's a Bad Haggis track on there.

My first impressions were positive though. It's different, but in a good way. It's like Irish-themed electric music, with a latin flavor. Like most AIX offerings, it's music you've never heard, but like most AIX music, if you go in with an open mind, it's pretty cool music, and I'm glad I have it. Though it's not like listening to the DSOTM DVD-A for the first time, if you know what I mean.

I like it a lot. Especially the 2 tracks with the 3 pipers added. I believe this is Mark's favourite as well. Or at least it is in his top 2 or 3. He can answer this question himself now though that he is here. He mentioned listening to it a lot during drives in his DVD-A enabled auto.

Hello,
My favorite is only DVD. The only thing it lacks is the high-res aspect. It's a great album sonically in spite of this fact. I have bought a lot of high-res titles that can't compare to this title on sonics alone. The surround mix of this title is everything you would ever want it to be. These guys are unknown but they have obviously been paying attention to Elliot Schieners work and they get it! And they do it!

Their music is very accessable adult alternative so if you like the aggressive mixing in things like the Flaming Lips, but are put off by the aggressive music then you might want to check this album out. The musicianship on this album is stellar. These guys are very polished and they have been together for quite awhile.

It's good to know that this kind of sound quality and mixing is possible in DD 5.1 because that may end up being all we have left to hang on to in the mainstream, if the record companies have their way.

So, if you're starved for a great mix with excellent sonics that can be had for 5 bucks easily on ebay then check out the Sonia dada album "Test Pattern". The double disc package comes with separate CD & DVD. Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that if you get it, on the DVD menu go to "watch the music" and prepare for a glimpse into a parallel dimension with a computer, graphic art, type of animation that is synchronized to this great music and mix! It's very cool too! You can see and hear more at their website:

http://www.soniadada.com/video/video.html

P.S.,The "Watch the music" videos that I referred to are not what you see on their website. The footage on the website is taken from the "indie " type movie that these guys also came up with. It too is on the DVD.

Check 'em out! Aquadad

Last edited:
Brothers in Arms
Black & White Night
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Tommy
Gaucho
Working Mans Dead
Foreigner 4

Out of about 40 that I have these get the most play-

Laurence Juber: Guitar Noir
Steely Dan: Gaucho
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia/Deadwing
Talking Heads: Remain In Light (CD/DVD - no Dual Disc!!)

I'm another Newby...
I like: The Band The Last Waltz
Yes Fragile
REM Automatic for the People
Not in any particular order.
I don't know about anyone else...but the availability of DVD-A in my area is dismal. I suppose I will need to resirt to the internut to fill out the rest of my collection :)

espf said:
I'm another Newby...
I like: The Band The Last Waltz
Yes Fragile
REM Automatic for the People
Not in any particular order.
I don't know about anyone else...but the availability of DVD-A in my area is dismal. I suppose I will need to resirt to the internut to fill out the rest of my collection :)

Circuit City has a pretty good online selection that can be delivered to the store for local pickup if you have one of those close by or free shipping is possible as well. I also love "Automatic for the People".

Chris

Blue Man Group, Audio -- for that kind of music
Philip Glass, Koyaanisqatsi -- for that kind of music

El Guapo said:
Barry, thanks for the information!

It was suggested somewhere that the DualDisc had some copy protection with a non-standard file system which causes trouble on some players.

I was really bummed that the HiRez 5.1 track didn't play on my Denon. I was able to listen to the DTS track and really liked the multichannel mix! And since this is one of my favourite records of all time anyway I will now try to get the pure DVD-Audio version! :D

Best regards,
Oliver

I wonder if you are on the latest firmware for the 3910?
If not - please let me know, as I have the 4 disc update & full instructions.

DVD-A
Porcupine Tree (Both)
Amon Tobin "Chaos Theory"
NiN "Downwards Spiral"
Ministry "Animositisomina"
Medeski, Martin & Wood "Uninvisible"
Dimmu Borgir "Death Cult Armageddon"

DVD-V
Opeth "Lamentations : Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire"
DJ Q*Bert "Wave Twister"
Rammstein "Live Aus Berlin"
Mayhem "European Legions"
Behemoth "The Art of Rebellion"

BTW : Any fan of Porcupine Tree should check this super high-quality Progressive Death Metal band :
Opeth "Lamentations : Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire"
Opeth might be too "heavy" for some people, but on Deadwing, Steve Wilson admited to be very much influenced by Opeth after producing their last two albums.

Motorhead : Ace of Spades
Metallica : Black album
Seal : Best of
Alicia Keys: Songs in a minor
NIghtwish: Dark Passion

Chicago X (test pressing)
Chicago+-+X+booklet.jpg

WHOA ..resurrected thread!...
As for Authoring;
Crowded House
(not really that much into them but the lyrics slideshow and overall quality is top notch)

As for Contents (and authoring, though missing the onscreen Lyrics as in the CH one), it's a tossup between
King Crimson "SABB" and "Discipline....

And as for the best use of the DVD-A format:
Fleetwood Mac-"Rumours"

What an ancient thread.

Currently my answer would be Automatic by Jesus & Mary Chain

I wonder if I've answered previously. Probably.

There's at least 5 titles.

from my database:

JESUS AND MARY CHAIN AUTOMATIC [DUAL DISC] R2 73376 081227337629 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN DARKLANDS [DUAL DISC] R2 73377 081227337728 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN HONEY'S DEAD [DUAL DISC] R2 73378 081227337827 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN PSYCHOCANDY [DUAL DISC] R2 73379 081227337926 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN STONED & DETHRONED [DUAL DISC] R2 73380 081227338022 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO

There's at least 5 titles.

from my database:

JESUS AND MARY CHAIN AUTOMATIC [DUAL DISC] R2 73376 081227337629 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN DARKLANDS [DUAL DISC] R2 73377 081227337728 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN HONEY'S DEAD [DUAL DISC] R2 73378 081227337827 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN PSYCHOCANDY [DUAL DISC] R2 73379 081227337926 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN STONED & DETHRONED [DUAL DISC] R2 73380 081227338022 BLANCO Y NEGRO / RHINO

thanks for the info (y)

never knew they existed on DualD!

found this QQ thread about them after seeing your post..

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...p-Mary-Chain-5-DVD-A-Stereo-titles-from-Rhino

Back