Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Scheiner had completed mixing ALL the Zep Albums in 5.1 then we might have a 'fighting' chance of seeing them released collectively but since he's retired, doubtful he'd ever agree to complete the project.

And with Page and Plant in their 70's, doubtful they'd have the ambition/stamina to oversee individual elaborate boxset releases of their undeniably superb creations....unless they were strapped for CASH....which is doubtful!

BTW, Page is 73 and his current net worth is $170M.

Plant is 68 and his current net worth is also $170M.

Neither Age nor $Millions stopped Ringo, Macca, Yoko, Olivia, from pleasing Beatles Fans.

I kinda think Page is a not quite yet bored Septigerian . Only time will tell , but every year becomes a missed opportunity.

Please, Mr. Scheiner (and Messrs. Becker & Fagen):

The 40th anniversary of Aja's release is coming up in six weeks. Couldn't you do us all a teensy favor and arrange for a leak of the 5.1 mix of just one of the tracks for which the multis were found? Pretty please?

Signed,
Dan Fans the World 'Round

Last edited:

The 40th anniversary of Aja's release is coming up in six weeks. Couldn't you do us all a teensy favor and arrange for a leak of the 5.1 mix of just one of tracks for which the multis were found? Pretty please?

Signed,

It's not Scheiner's decision. It's up to the band.

The 40th anniversary of Aja's release is coming up in six weeks. Couldn't you do us all a teensy favor and arrange for a leak of the 5.1 mix of just one of the tracks for which the multis were found? Pretty please?

Signed,

Yes what Brian states rings very true , I'm afraid. It's the band itself ,particularly Donald to get the ball moving on the 5.1's.

And I believe some of if not most of, AJA is already mixed in 5.1, along with Royal Scam and Pretzel Logic (and possibly others)

Would be wonderful to see any and all released finally--- and AJA missing tracks could be Penteoed , fine by me ! (y)

Sad memories: We all have short memories, and forget some past events, ; Aja - the original tapes were stolen, / lost. A reward was offered, but nothing ever turned up. Without it-no 5.1.:(

Sad memories: We all have short memories, and forget some past events, ; Aja - the original tapes were stolen, / lost. A reward was offered, but nothing ever turned up. Without it-no 5.1.:(

Short memories indeed.

I believe only 2 tracks couldn't be found. The title track and one other, so Penteo would be a viable option.

Short memories indeed.

I believe only 2 tracks couldn't be found. The title track and one other, so Penteo would be a viable option.

I would definitely purchase Aja with 2 upmixes. Would also LOVE new surround mixes of Pretzel and Royal Scam. I'm pretty happy with the Quad mixes of Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown EXCEPT they need to be released in hi-rez AND the quad mix of My Old School SUCKS (this MUST be remixed with more prominent horns and lead guitar solos). So, back to reality...

We'll never get any upmixes on Steely Dan releases.
Fagen & Becker have too much of a purist nature to allow for anything like that.

Do they still have it in them to just re-record the missing multitracks? :)

Do they still have it in them to just release what has been mixed in surround !!??

Fagen has stated in an interview some time back , he may issue his latest "Sunken Condos" in 5.1. But it's been awhile.

What the hell, if not Aja, at least Pretzel Logic, Royal Scam, and Katey Lied-(if Scheiner did Katey, that is). :rolleyes:

Do they still have it in them to just release what has been mixed in surround !!??

Fagen has stated in an interview some time back , he may issue his latest "Sunken Condos" in 5.1. But it's been awhile.

What the hell, if not Aja, at least Pretzel Logic, Royal Scam, and Katey Lied-(if Scheiner did Katey, that is). :rolleyes:

I think the sales of Sunken Condo pretty much sunk, so for WB to spend money on a 5.1 mix is a real stretch.

I think the sales of Sunken Condo pretty much sunk, so for WB to spend money on a 5.1 mix is a real stretch.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that he (Fagen) is still pro surround, so there's a small window of opportunity for release for something like 5.1's of Pretzel , and Scam , already mixed.

Never heard "Condos", so I can't comment on the particular sound, but being a DAN FAN I'd likely buy it if it was offered in surround.

Today--September 23, 2017--is the 40th anniversary of the release of Aja. (Smartly written commemoration by Chris Morris for Variety.)

Still waiting for a surprise announcement of a Blu-Ray surround version (with Penteo upmixes of the tunes missing multi-track masters). Oh, well. I guess I'll celebrate by playing the quad version of Can't Buy a Thrill (released 45 years ago this fall) and the 5.1 of The Nightfly (released 35 years ago in October). And maybe a custom playlist composed of the two Aja-era tracks from Steely Dan's Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party....

Last edited:
Late to the discussion, but I have all of the ES surround mixes of REM albums from Automatic For the People through Around The Sun. I personally love them ALL. I think ES did a phenomenal job on each and every one of those albums (plus In Time). In light of how diverse those six albums are, it's even more amazing. They all rank as some of my favorite surround albums of all time. But I must also qualify this post by saying REM is my 2nd favorite band of all time, so I am not sure I can separate out my love for the music entirely....

Late to the discussion, but I have all of the ES surround mixes of REM albums from Automatic For the People through Around The Sun. I personally love them ALL. I think ES did a phenomenal job on each and every one of those albums (plus In Time). In light of how diverse those six albums are, it's even more amazing. They all rank as some of my favorite surround albums of all time. But I must also qualify this post by saying REM is my 2nd favorite band of all time, so I am not sure I can separate out my love for the music entirely....

I have all of them except Around The Sun, and I agree they’re quite excellent. I’d say Out Of Time is the best-mixed of them all...Really discrete mix on that one.

My one gripe with these (and it’s something I didn’t notice until repeated listens) is that sometimes the backing vocals are a little too low in the mix. It’s possible ES was told by the band or their management to highlight Stipe’s lead over some of the backing parts.

Mike Mills had some great harmony parts and I wish they were a bit higher in the mix in some cases.

Minor gripe- otherwise these rock!

I finally found Document for a reasonable price (around $25)! I'd like to find Green too, then I think I'm done.
I don't like Out of Time enough to seek it out. They tried to get too trendy and it hasn't aged well for me. I get enough extracted from it on In Time.
I love the later albums, though I don't know them very well yet. I look forward to fixing that over the years. Great band.

Back