Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VACamper

Hey folks, I discovered that I own 18 discs with a 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner, and they are all uniformly excellent. I searched the internet for a complete list of mixes by ES, but I couldn't find one (even on the official ES website). So, I've decided to compile a complete list here, and I need your help to flush it out. I've identified 39 so far:

America - Homecoming (DVD-A)
Beck - Sea Change (SACD Hybrid)
Beck - Guero (DVD-A + CD)
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (SACD Hybrid)
Boz Scaggs - Dig (DVD-A + CD)
Donald Fagan - The Nightfly (DVD-A)
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad (DVD-A)
Doobie Brothers - Captain & Me (DVD-A)
Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-A)
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DVD-Video or DTS CD)
Electric Light Orchestra - Zoom Tour Live (DVD-Video, DTS)
Faith Hill - Cry (DVD-A) [warning: unfavorable review of this mix on www.highfidelityreview.com]
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (DVD-A + CD)
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (DVD-Video, DD)
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor (Disc 2/Acoustic Album) (DualDisc/DVD-A)
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight (DVD-A)
John Fogerty - Premonition (DVD-Video, DD)
Phish - IT, 2 discs (DVD-Video, DD)
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (DVD-A)
Queen - A Night at The Opera (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Document (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Green (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Out Of Time (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Monster (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-Fi (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Up (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Reveal (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Around the Sun (DVD-A)
R.E.M. - In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (DVD-A)
Roy Orbison - Black and White Night (DVD-A, SACD, DVD-Video DTS)
Steely Dan - Gaucho (SACD Hybrid)
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (DVD-A)
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go (DVD-A)
Steve Lukather - Candyman (DTS CD)
Sting - Brand New Day (DVD-A, DTS CD)
Toto - IV (SACD - 2nd release includes 5.1 mix)
Various - Crossroads Guitar Festival, 2 discs (DVD-Video DTS)

On the ES web site, there was a reference to a Dan Fogelberg 5.1 project. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Am I missing any other 5.1 mixes by Elliot Scheiner? I'll update this post as we identify more. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought ES did Blood on The Tracks (also one of my favorites, even though I'm not a big Dylan fan), but I had only listed Phil Ramone in my database. (y)

Last edited:
VACamper said:
Finally, is anyone aware of other 5.1 mixes by Elliot Scheiner that I should look into?
if you're an REM fan, he did all of their warner brothers stuff in 5.1 (from "Green" onward) - - with his usual verve and panache.

Thanks. The only R.E.M discs I have now (on CD) are Murmer and Eponymous, which I like fairly well. I figured I'd start with Automatic For The People on DVD-A (since it's #10 on the Hi-Rez poll), and if I like that, get others.

Did ES do the mix on the DVD-A of "In Time: The Best of R.E.M 1988-2003"?

Here is an exerpt from an article I found that says Elliot Scheiner was planning to record the Cream reunion concert at Royal Albert Hall. Perhaps it didn't happen as planned? Can someone that owns this DVD check the recording and mixing credits and let us know who did it?

AMD Rocks To A Digital Beat
Chip maker aims to be a big player in computerized recording gear.

By Kirk Ladendorf
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, March 14, 2005

When the three founding members of the 1960s rock group Cream take the stage during a May reunion at London's Royal Albert Hall, veteran recording guru Elliot Scheiner will be there, and so will Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
Scheiner's backstage presence will be no surprise. He has recorded many of the top rock groups for decades. But this time, he will be using a high-end audio workstation powered by two AMD 64-bit processors, along with a trunkload of related audio and computer gear. AMD, best known for its PC chips, is making some headway in the recording industry. Guitarist Mark Knopfler, the former leader of Dire Straits, has a similar AMD recording unit with him on his ongoing world tour. Peter Frampton has one on order.

[snip]

Scheiner, who used an AMD workstation to record Eric Clapton's Crossroads guitar festival in Dallas last year, will take a similar unit to London. He says the sound quality and the dependability of the AMD system gave him the confidence to rely on it for live concert recording. It's been a popular broadcast on public television and was released as both a DVD and CD collection.

"The problem with computers is they crash," Scheiner said. "You've got to be absolutely certain that it is OK. I used Windows-based software and the AMD processor at the Crossroads event, and it was absolutely phenomenal."

[snip]

Scheiner, who is recording the Cream reunion concerts, shares Brian Eno's affection for analog gear. "It is a digital world, and everyone is working in digital. I am one of those people that use analog whenever I can. When I can't, I use the AMD system with Nuendo (software). It's the next best thing to analog."

[email protected]; 445-3622

VACamper said:
Finally, is anyone aware of other 5.1 mixes by Elliot Scheiner that I should look into?

Beck - Guero DVD-Audio
Toto IV - SACD (the 2nd SACD release where there was a surround track)
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor (Disc 2/Acoustic Album) DVD-A/DualDisc
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over DVD-Video (or DTS CD)

and

I wonder... Did ES also do the surround mix on Queen's "The Game"? I actually have owned this disc for about 4 months, but it's still in the shrink wrap and unopened.

VACamper said:
Here is an exerpt from an article I found that says Elliot Scheiner was planning to record the Cream reunion concert at Royal Albert Hall. Perhaps it didn't happen as planned? Can someone that owns this DVD check the recording and mixing credits and let us know who did it?
He couldn't make it. Trust me, he didn't do it!

VACamper said:
Thanks. The only R.E.M discs I have now (on CD) are Murmer and Eponymous, which I like fairly well. I figured I'd start with Automatic For The People on DVD-A (since it's #10 on the Hi-Rez poll), and if I like that, get others.

Did ES do the mix on the DVD-A of "In Time: The Best of R.E.M 1988-2003"?

yes, he did the mix on "In Time" as well. also, i think you're making a good choice starting with "Automatic for the People".

Eugenius said:
Beck - Guero DVD-Audio
Toto IV - SACD (the 2nd SACD release where there was a surround track)
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor (Disc 2/Acoustic Album) DVD-A/DualDisc
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over DVD-Video (or DTS CD)

and

I wonder... Did ES also do the surround mix on Queen's "The Game"? I actually have owned this disc for about 4 months, but it's still in the shrink wrap and unopened.
Nope, ES didn't do The Game.

Thanks everyone! I just ordered Beck "Guero" and R.E.M. "Automatic For The People" Digipack on Half.com. 'Been meaning to get the Beck disc for some time, but couldn't find it at a decent price until now. Also found a good deal on a brand new Indigo Girls "Become You" SACD at half.com - not an Elliot Scheiner mix, but I've read good things about it. :D

Oh, you beat me to it! I discovered that ES mixed Roy Orbison's Black and White Night last night as I was going through my collection of DVD-Video concerts. It has the same ES mix (in DTS 5.1) as the newer SACD and DVD-A releases.

ES also did the mix for Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (DVD-Video, DD 5.1).

I decided to update my initial post based on all your feedback to show the complete list of Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mixes. Keep 'em coming!

daved64 said:
Nope, ES didn't do The Game.

That is correct. Supposedly he and Brian May had a falling out over ES's mix of "A Night at the Opera", so I don't think he will be involved in any future Queen mixes. Justin Shirley-Smith does all the Queen 5.1 with Brian May.

ICK

Two more I can think of off the top of my head:

Grover Washington Jr. "Winelight"
Faith Hill "Cry"

Ick said:
That is correct. Supposedly he and Brian May had a falling out over ES's mix of "A Night at the Opera", so I don't think he will be involved in any future Queen mixes. Justin Shirley-Smith does all the Queen 5.1 with Brian May.

ICK

Shame they are not being released really.
Or is Brian May too busy with his covers band he has the cheek to call "Queen"?
Where are these remixes?
I also hear tell of a new version of A Night At The Opera, with the missing multitracks for The Prophets Song & Bo Rhap restored again...any truth?

neil wilkes said:
Shame they are not being released really.
Or is Brian May too busy with his covers band he has the cheek to call "Queen"?
Where are these remixes?
I also hear tell of a new version of A Night At The Opera, with the missing multitracks for The Prophets Song & Bo Rhap restored again...any truth?

I didn't know there were any missing multis from those songs. They sound pretty good to me.

There WAS an alternate version of ANATO that Scheiner mixed. Brian May was unhappy with it and they butted heads, so it was completely redone and hence the version we have now.

I don't know of any other 5.1 version forthcoming....

ICK

Back