Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the first ES mix of NATO I bought off e-bay.
produced by RTB
mixed by ES
released 2001 DTS

I bought this one sometime later
The standard release
Produced by RTB Co Produced by BM for Queen
Mixed by ES
relesed 2002 Hollywood records

WOW! I didn't even know about that one!

Amazon.com has it for only$15.99. I will definitely buy it even though I have the DVD-A.

Thanks for the info guys!

ICK

Another good one from Elliot a DVD Video:
John Fogerty - Premonition
While watching it, it gave me that quad feel (the 2 guitarists in the band get a rear speaker each and the backing vocal are consequently in the back). So then I looked at the cover notes and it's by E. Scheiner (y)

And wasn't "R.E.M. - Document" not also by him?

Ge Someone said:
Another good one from Elliot a DVD Video:
John Fogerty - Premonition
While watching it, it gave me that quad feel (the 2 guitarists in the band get a rear speaker each and the backing vocal are consequently in the back). So then I looked at the cover notes and it's by E. Scheiner (y)

And wasn't "R.E.M. - Document" not also by him?

Excellent - thanks for the additions! I've updated the initial post, so we're up to 39 releases mixed in 5.1 by ES.

I've always wanted to get the John Fogerty DVD, and now I have an extra incentive. Too bad it's not DTS, but an ES mix ups the ante for me!

Elliot was in discussions with Apple/EMI to remix "Abbey Road". They told him to shut up about it, so there's no word if the project went ahead, but it seems it didn't.

You can add Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mix of Eric Clapton's "461 Ocean Boulevard", escaping from the vaults (after 10 years in captivity) at the end of November! :D

I have just taken delivery of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Southern Surroundings collection and, while the ten tracks selected to be mixed in 5.1 by ES are far from the tracks I would have liked to have heard - who chose that selection? - the mixes are superb. This is discreet 5.1 mixing as it is supposed to be heard: fabulous!

I have just taken delivery of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Southern Surroundings collection and, while the ten tracks selected to be mixed in 5.1 by ES are far from the tracks I would have liked to have heard - who chose that selection? - the mixes are superb. This is discreet 5.1 mixing as it is supposed to be heard: fabulous!

afaik their biggy "Sweet Home Alabama" isn't included due to missing multitracks :( I think that may also be a factor in other songs not being included in the surround remix?

Interesting Fred. SHA would have been welcome, as would What's Your Name, I Ain't The One, Call Me The Breeze, and several others I would rather have had than things like Gimme Back My Bullets, That Smell and Simple Man. How odd that nobody looked after the masters better.

Interesting Fred. SHA would have been welcome, as would What's Your Name, I Ain't The One, Call Me The Breeze, and several others I would rather have had than things like Gimme Back My Bullets, That Smell and Simple Man. How odd that nobody looked after the masters better.

IIRC, the archives of MCA (including ABC, Command, etc) were ransacked in the 80's and many master tapes illegally flogged off to loaded Japanese collectors.

that may well account for missing tapes of artists such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who (Who's Next always comes up but I have anecdotal evidence the multi's are safe & complete in London so that's up for grabs), Steely Dan (Countdown to Ecstasy, Aja & Can't Buy A Thrill have missing multi's according to Elliot Scheiner himself), The Four Tops (post-Motown albums).. the list goes on.

Again, very interesting. I thought that Scheiner had done full 5.1 mixes of all the early Steely Dan albums, that simply hadn't yet been approved by the notoriously fussy group (apart from Gaucho). That sounds less likely if three of them have missing multis.

when I say ransacked btw, I don't mean premises burgled, I mean these were alleged inside jobs.

it seems unthinkable to the likes of us, now.. but for the longest time tapes weren't properly stored or looked after so much and multi's were deemed of less importance than the stereo mixdowns in a lot of instances.

the age of Quad was long gone (and viewed as a total disaster many in the industry would rather forget) and the era of the modern-day 5.1 remix was way off in the future (the 80's were barren times for surround music fans and the 90's only got interesting in the middle of the decade and towards the end of the 90's began to really heat up) so the idea of the record labels needing much beyond stereo tapes to keep on plying their wares is something hard for us Quaddies to get our heads around but its part of the problem with missing multi's now.

Back