Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, very interesting. I thought that Scheiner had done full 5.1 mixes of all the early Steely Dan albums, that simply hadn't yet been approved by the notoriously fussy group (apart from Gaucho). That sounds less likely if three of them have missing multis.

ES definitely completed remixing "Pretzel Logic" into 5.1.

Word was "The Royal Scam" was next in line to be remixed by him into 5.1 for surround SACD but I never heard or read anymore about that beyond what he was doing next.

I'll find the interview in which ES says some multi's for CBAT, Aja & CTE are missing and post the link here.

Following some R&D at home around getting away from disc based surround I've been transferring my archive to multichannel FLAC. After recently acquiring the lousy Layla box set just for the ES mix as well as the Moondance set I've prioritised ES material. Currently listening to the Zoom disc - not that I dislike the video performance, but isolating the ES DTS mix without picture allows for more focus on the surround production and I have to say I love it more!

I'd like to add to this thread with a challenge for the ES fans - playlist me 12 must listen ES mixes! I've got everything bar Boz Scaggs (I can't track one down sadly) ready and waiting. The possibilities...

Interesting Fred. SHA would have been welcome, as would What's Your Name, I Ain't The One, Call Me The Breeze, and several others I would rather have had than things like Gimme Back My Bullets, That Smell and Simple Man. How odd that nobody looked after the masters better.

I agree w/ most of this, but Simple Man is one of my fave Skynyrd tunes.

12 Must Listen ES mixes.. crikey! That's tough, there's so many obvious tracks that were big hits or well-known (well-worn even).. Here goes!

12.) "Godwhacker" (Everything Must Go - Steely Dan - DVDA),
11.) "The Very Thought Of You" Duet w/Linda Ronstadt (Nature Boy: The Standards Album - Aaron Neville - SACD/DVDA),
10.) "Time Out Of Mind" (Gaucho - Steely Dan - DTS/SACD/DVDA),
9.) "Cornwall Blank" (Homecoming - America - DVDA),
8.) "Without You" (The Captain And Me - The Doobie Brothers - SACD/DVDA),
7.) "Try And Love Again" (Hotel California - Eagles - SACD/DVDA),
6.) "Florida Room" (Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen - DVDA),
5.) "Waiting For Your Love" (IV - Toto - SACD),
4.) "Miss Riddle" (Dig - Boz Scaggs - DVDA),
3.) "Take Me There" (Winelight - Grover Washington Jr. - DVDA),
2.) "New Frontier" (The Nightfly - Donald Fagen - SACD/DVDA),
1.) "You're My Best Friend" (A Night At The Opera - Queen - DVDA).

12 Must Listen ES mixes.. crikey! That's tough, there's so many obvious tracks that were big hits or well-known (well-worn even).. Here goes!

12.) "Godwhacker" (Everything Must Go - Steely Dan - DVDA),
11.) "The Very Thought Of You" Duet w/Linda Ronstadt (Nature Boy: The Standards Album - Aaron Neville - SACD/DVDA),
10.) "Time Out Of Mind" (Gaucho - Steely Dan - DTS/SACD/DVDA),
9.) "Cornwall Blank" (Homecoming - America - DVDA),
8.) "Without You" (The Captain And Me - The Doobie Brothers - SACD/DVDA),
7.) "Try And Love Again" (Hotel California - Eagles - SACD/DVDA),
6.) "Florida Room" (Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen - DVDA),
5.) "Waiting For Your Love" (IV - Toto - SACD),
4.) "Miss Riddle" (Dig - Boz Scaggs - DVDA),
3.) "Take Me There" (Winelight - Grover Washington Jr. - DVDA),
2.) "New Frontier" (The Nightfly - Donald Fagen - SACD/DVDA),
1.) "You're My Best Friend" (A Night At The Opera - Queen - DVDA).

Amazing! But sadly I don't have the Boz Scaggs! Everything else is there though, and is rightly gorgeous. Play listing surround has made me utterly and wonderfully indulgent. Listening to your selection now and I must say it flows well from track to track - the mark of good taste (yours) and mixing talent (his) ;)

Thanks very much, feel free to suggest other selections!

You're welcome, IQWT!

a more straight-forward (shorter but fun!) playlist just from those same discs of "just" the hits kind of stuff..

(Those prev 12 were a playlist of my favourite mixes & songs from those ES mixed discs, there are certain tracks on each of those 12 discs that have more adventurous/active mixes but that was the best combination of great mix & song I could come up with)

1.) Babylon Sisters,
2.) Ventura Highway,
3.) Long Train Runnin',
4.) Hotel California,
5.) Tomorrow's Girls,
6.) Africa,
7.) Just The Two Of Us,
8.) Ruby Baby,
9.) Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's like listening to Hi-Rez Surround Radio..!! :p

You're welcome, IQWT!

a more straight-forward (shorter but fun!) playlist just from those same discs of "just" the hits kind of stuff..

(Those prev 12 were a playlist of my favourite mixes & songs from those ES mixed discs, there are certain tracks on each of those 12 discs that have more adventurous/active mixes but that was the best combination of great mix & song I could come up with)

1.) Babylon Sisters,
2.) Ventura Highway,
3.) Long Train Runnin',
4.) Hotel California,
5.) Tomorrow's Girls,
6.) Africa,
7.) Just The Two Of Us,
8.) Ruby Baby,
9.) Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's like listening to Hi-Rez Surround Radio..!! :p

Fredblue's "Elliot in Surround Radio" mix.... nice....

Don't forget that ES has done some outstanding live DVD-V 5.1 mixes.

My faves;

ELO - Zoom Live
Steely Dan - Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party In Sensuous Surround
Loggins & Messina - Sittin' in Again at Santa Barbara Bowl
Foo Fighters - Skin & Bones
Eagles - Farewell Tour Live in Melbourne
Clapton Crossroads
Sting - Live in Berlin

Great list, Fred.

And don't forget that Elliot Scheiner also did the 5.1 mixes on this year's History Of The Eagles documentary, both live and studio music, none of which is played at full length in the film, but gives us tantalising passages of the entire Eagles catalogue in perfectly-mixed discreet surround. If you haven't grabbed the Blu-ray of this yet, it is unreservedly recommended - made by proper documentarians too, with amazing archive.

These two need adding as well - great mixes on each and if you get the deluxe edition of 'History' you'll end up with another live Eagles concert mixed in surround from 1977 as well. It's Eliott Scheiner weekend round mine, I started last night with Fred's playlists before branching out in to combo lists made up of Fogerty, Foos and Fleetwood live tracks. It all mixed rather well with good wine, maybe too well :mad:@:

photo.jpg

I think the way he uses five speakers in quick succession to introduce five instruments at the beginning of the Doobies' Long Train Running - without it sounding gimmicky - is genius.

I think the way he uses five speakers in quick succession to introduce five instruments at the beginning of the Doobies' Long Train Running - without it sounding gimmicky - is genius.

the whole "Captain & Me" 5.1 mix is incredible! real demo-worthy stuff.

some Quaddies prefer the old Quad mix but I much prefer the DVD-A, the mix is so much more expansive and everything intelligently panned in the soundfield. fidelity on the DVD-A is leaps and bounds ahead of any other version too.

if only ES' 5.1 of the Michael McDonald era-Doobies' "Minute By Minute" had/would come out! can you imagine??

anyone who doesn't consider ES among the very best if not the best surround music mixer around, really needs to hear more of his mixes (imho) and really listen closely! the guy puts so much thought into his mixes its unreal..!

the whole "Captain & Me" 5.1 mix is incredible! real demo-worthy stuff.

some Quaddies prefer the old Quad mix but I much prefer the DVD-A, the mix is so much more expansive and everything intelligently panned in the soundfield. fidelity on the DVD-A is leaps and bounds ahead of any other version too.

if only ES' 5.1 of the Michael McDonald era-Doobies' "Minute By Minute" had/would come out! can you imagine??

anyone who doesn't consider ES among the very best if not the best surround music mixer around, really needs to hear more of his mixes (imho) and really listen closely! the guy puts so much thought into his mixes its unreal..!

Listening to only ES mixes across multiple formats ripped to MCH FLAC you really begin to get an overall understanding of his exceptional consistency by genre - take Guero for example and mix it up with Yoshimi and Monster or try Layla and Southern Surroundings with the The Captain. With the exception of the DD origin material you don't have to alter the volume much at all either. The DD material (Jon Fogerty, Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac) also sounds stellar and vibrant thanks to his mixing skills. I'm looking at everything apart from Boz Scaggs in my playlist - it's time to hit shuffle ;)

Great list, Fred.

And don't forget that Elliot Scheiner also did the 5.1 mixes on this year's History Of The Eagles documentary, both live and studio music, none of which is played at full length in the film, but gives us tantalising passages of the entire Eagles catalogue in perfectly-mixed discreet surround. If you haven't grabbed the Blu-ray of this yet, it is unreservedly recommended - made by proper documentarians too, with amazing archive.

!00% agree - I only wish we had an option for the music cuts in surround as complete tracks!

Listening to only ES mixes across multiple formats ripped to MCH FLAC you really begin to get an overall understanding of his exceptional consistency by genre - take Guero for example and mix it up with Yoshimi and Monster or try Layla and Southern Surroundings with the The Captain. With the exception of the DD origin material you don't have to alter the volume much at all either. The DD material (Jon Fogerty, Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac) also sounds stellar and vibrant thanks to his mixing skills. I'm looking at everything apart from Boz Scaggs in my playlist - it's time to hit shuffle ;)

Great observations, IQWT! (y)

He doesn't get it right every time (who does!?) the Steve Lukather "Candyman" DTS he did isn't great (the mix is almost too conservative, the material could have done with more pyrotechnics!) and his R.E.M. mixes aren't all that (far from terrible but far from his best, imho, the "Best Of" 5.1 is probably the weakest mix-wise) but seeing his name on any music release, especially surround music, is a pretty sure-fire thing it'll be great for me.. my only wish re:ES is that 1.) He would come by QQ someday (the outpouring may be a bit much though!) and 2.) More of his unreleased 5.1's would make it out of the vaults!!

Great observations, IQWT! (y)

He doesn't get it right every time (who does!?) the Steve Lukather "Candyman" DTS he did isn't great (the mix is almost too conservative, the material could have done with more pyrotechnics!) and his R.E.M. mixes aren't all that (far from terrible but far from his best, imho, the "Best Of" 5.1 is probably the weakest mix-wise) but seeing his name on any music release, especially surround music, is a pretty sure-fire thing it'll be great for me.. my only wish re:ES is that 1.) He would come by QQ someday (the outpouring may be a bit much though!) and 2.) More of his unreleased 5.1's would make it out of the vaults!!

REMONSTRANCE! I love the Candyman mix! :)

I have some incredible surround mixes that aren't by Elliot Scheiner, but overall he is definitely my favourite 5.1 mixer. The Doobie Brothers' Taking It To The Streets is one of my best friend's favourite albums of all time. I'd love to be able to blast him with a hi-res ES 5.1 mix of that.

And I wish that Universal/Stevie Wonder had let Robert Margouleff work his magic on the classic Stevie Wonder catalogue. Margouleff, who co-produced four of Wonder's five seminal albums, created elaborate surround monitoring for Stevie in the studio in the early 70s, even though they were recording in stereo, and has more recently made a living mixing surround for Hollywood films. His combination of technical know-how and intimate knowledge of the material would have been completely fascinating.

Back