Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't ES hint at the Beatles Abbey Road strongly at one point, and even hinted that he was punished for letting out those hints? Maybe there is an ES Abbey Road mix waiting to be released as well.

I have some incredible surround mixes that aren't by Elliot Scheiner, but overall he is definitely my favourite 5.1 mixer. The Doobie Brothers' Taking It To The Streets is one of my best friend's favourite albums of all time. I'd love to be able to blast him with a hi-res ES 5.1 mix of that.

And I wish that Universal/Stevie Wonder had let Robert Margouleff work his magic on the classic Stevie Wonder catalogue. Margouleff, who co-produced four of Wonder's five seminal albums, created elaborate surround monitoring for Stevie in the studio in the early 70s, even though they were recording in stereo, and has more recently made a living mixing surround for Hollywood films. His combination of technical know-how and intimate knowledge of the material would have been completely fascinating.

that is exactly how I heard it! :) the way was seemingly paved for Stevie in 5.1 by way of Robert Margouleff overseeing numerous transfers of Quad mixes to DTS CD for DTS Entertainment/Miller Nevada.

he was right there at the forefront of modern surround technology, yet somehow by the time Sony and Warner had waded in with SACD and DVD-A he was seemingly out of the picture with surround music and had moved onto movies as you say Casper.

bit of a loss to us Quaddies, obviously into surround for music in a big way and a very talented guy all round, a synth pioneer in R&B where Stevie's music was concerned (and he helmed some of The Isley's 3+3 era classics). I wish he was still doing his thing with surround music.

Have any QQ members had any communication with him over the years? Disclord? Quadtrade? Jon? It'd be great if he dropped by here one time!

My biggest wish is Royal Scam in 5.1 by ES.
Perhaps one day.....*dreamin'*.

I never understood why this album was not as successful as AJA or Pretzel...:alienrob:

The Royal Scam was ES' next 5.1 mix after he finished Pretzel Logic, whether he ever got round to remixing it - who knows but ES himself!?

My absolute favourite Steely Dan album. Had it on cassette in my car that was only ever swapped with My Aim Is True. The only music I listened to in my car for at least ten years!

I love it too! (y)

Larry Carlton & co really kick some seeeeerious guitar butt on that album! The material is as strong as anything DF & WB wrote and the contribution of the session guys cannot be overestimated on TRS imho, their playing is incredible.

I'll never forget the first time I heard the album in its entirety - I was absolutely blown away! (I already knew of Haitian Divorce & The Fez.. later discovering Walter had the flash of inspiration to take the lead guitar and feed it through a talkbox after the fact in the studio - what a stroke of genius.. but there are so many more stunning numbers on the album besides the familiar 'hits'!).

TRS was like Steely Dan injected with rocket fuel! Certainly their most consistently hard-rocking album, with guitar solo's to die for in just about every song!!

that is exactly how I heard it! :) the way was seemingly paved for Stevie in 5.1 by way of Robert Margouleff overseeing numerous transfers of Quad mixes to DTS CD for DTS Entertainment/Miller Nevada.

he was right there at the forefront of modern surround technology, yet somehow by the time Sony and Warner had waded in with SACD and DVD-A he was seemingly out of the picture with surround music and had moved onto movies as you say Casper.

bit of a loss to us Quaddies, obviously into surround for music in a big way and a very talented guy all round, a synth pioneer in R&B where Stevie's music was concerned (and he helmed some of The Isley's 3+3 era classics). I wish he was still doing his thing with surround music.

Have any QQ members had any communication with him over the years? Disclord? Quadtrade? Jon? It'd be great if he dropped by here one time!

He is a talented engineer. I met him a few years ago when I visited Mi Casa Studios in Hollywood to get a PRIR measurement for the Smyth Realiser.

As for Stevie Wonder in Surround, many tried to make that happen in the DVD-A/SACD days. Not sure what the stumbling blocks were but it did not come to pass.
Oh well, at least the effort and inquiries were made.

Didn't ES hint at the Beatles Abbey Road strongly at one point, and even hinted that he was punished for letting out those hints? Maybe there is an ES Abbey Road mix waiting to be released as well.

This is a bit 'broken telephone', but I recall reading that Scheiner supposedly played a 5.1 mix he'd done at a convention or lecture or something sometime in the 2000's. There's also this article from High Fidelity Review (I'm not sure from when) that suggests he was in discussions to do so as well.

The Royal Scam was ES' next 5.1 mix after he finished Pretzel Logic, whether he ever got round to remixing it - who knows but ES himself!?

It would be nice if he'd join us here and let us know. I wish more engineers would read/post here, as it's a great way to build grass-roots support, and I don't think we're the type to chase industry pros off like they have at SH.tv. Anyone from Elliott Scheiner, Greg Penny, to producers, label execs, etc. could not only answer a lot of questions, but also get to know their target audience better, which is never a bad thing. I'm not asking them to post as prolifically as fredblue, but the occasional Q&A wouldn't go amiss.

Just to tie Robert Margouleff back in to this as well, you can hear the synthesizer he built for Stevie Wonder on 'Natural Thing', the first track of the Doobie Brothers album The Captain And Me, which has an amazing Elliott Scheiner 5.1 mix, as has already been mentioned.

As far as I know the story with Stevie Wonder is that he won't let anyone touch his master tapes - apparently everything that's out there now, the CD's, the HDTracks downloads, the HFPA Blu-Ray, they all come from safety copies of the master tapes. If he won't let anyone touch his master tapes, I think it's a pretty safe bet that no one's getting anywhere near the multitracks. I assume that's why you haven't seen a single bonus track or outtake on any of the reissues of any of his albums either.

I love it too! (y)

Larry Carlton & co really kick some seeeeerious guitar butt on that album! The material is as strong as anything DF & WB wrote and the contribution of the session guys cannot be overestimated on TRS imho, their playing is incredible.

I'll never forget the first time I heard the album in its entirety - I was absolutely blown away! (I already knew of Haitian Divorce & The Fez.. later discovering Walter had the flash of inspiration to take the lead guitar and feed it through a talkbox after the fact in the studio - what a stroke of genius.. but there are so many more stunning numbers on the album besides the familiar 'hits'!).

TRS was like Steely Dan injected with rocket fuel! Certainly their most consistently hard-rocking album, with guitar solo's to die for in just about every song!!

The brass in Caves of Altamira is superb, as is the bass 'thump' on the title track. The guitar intro to Don't Take Me Alive is pure genius though and perfectly executed. Actually, there is nothing short of brilliant guitar work on this album

This is a bit 'broken telephone', but I recall reading that Scheiner supposedly played a 5.1 mix he'd done at a convention or lecture or something sometime in the 2000's. There's also this article from High Fidelity Review (I'm not sure from when) that suggests he was in discussions to do so as well.

It would be nice if he'd join us here and let us know. I wish more engineers would read/post here, as it's a great way to build grass-roots support, and I don't think we're the type to chase industry pros off like they have at SH.tv. Anyone from Elliott Scheiner, Greg Penny, to producers, label execs, etc. could not only answer a lot of questions, but also get to know their target audience better, which is never a bad thing. I'm not asking them to post as prolifically as fredblue, but the occasional Q&A wouldn't go amiss.

Just to tie Robert Margouleff back in to this as well, you can hear the synthesizer he built for Stevie Wonder on 'Natural Thing', the first track of the Doobie Brothers album The Captain And Me, which has an amazing Elliott Scheiner 5.1 mix, as has already been mentioned.

As far as I know the story with Stevie Wonder is that he won't let anyone touch his master tapes - apparently everything that's out there now, the CD's, the HDTracks downloads, the HFPA Blu-Ray, they all come from safety copies of the master tapes. If he won't let anyone touch his master tapes, I think it's a pretty safe bet that no one's getting anywhere near the multitracks. I assume that's why you haven't seen a single bonus track or outtake on any of the reissues of any of his albums either.

Haha!! :D Just one post from Elliot Scheiner or Greg Penny here at QQ would be worth 5,295 of any prolific posters' posts! ;)

Guys - I emailed ES's agents. I tried a few other times to get him to even just answer questions like Steven Wilson did. I mentioned that he was revered here, and we were his target 5.1 audience.

NO RESPONSE. Hey, these guys are busy and it's their job, we take it a lot more to heart it would seem. It's like a sports figure. Loved when they win and despised when they lose, but when it all comes down to reality, the guy is making a living, and winning and losing is just part of the job. To the fan, it could be everything.

I met Robert Margouleff six months ago in LA, and asked him about the possibility of Wonder's classic albums in 5.1. He told me that he had offered to do them all, but not been taken up on that offer. I failed to ask who exactly wasn't interested, Universal or Wonder, as I was distracted by my own disappointment.

Guys - I emailed ES's agents. I tried a few other times to get him to even just answer questions like Steven Wilson did. I mentioned that he was revered here, and we were his target 5.1 audience.

NO RESPONSE. Hey, these guys are busy and it's their job, we take it a lot more to heart it would seem. It's like a sports figure. Loved when they win and despised when they lose, but when it all comes down to reality, the guy is making a living, and winning and losing is just part of the job. To the fan, it could be everything.

Thank you for trying, Jon :) its disappointing but understandable.. busy man, as you say. You can't do any more than you have done already.

Got to say I'm a little surprised Steven Wilson hasn't cajoled Elliot Scheiner into dropping by here, seeing as ES and SW did surround-y stuff together in the past and Mr.Wilson has been very generous with his time here at QQ. Ah well.. as long as the wonderful ES 5.1 mixes keep coming, that's enough for me!

I met Robert Margouleff six months ago in LA, and asked him about the possibility of Wonder's classic albums in 5.1. He told me that he had offered to do them all, but not been taken up on that offer. I failed to ask who exactly wasn't interested, Universal or Wonder, as I was too busy being disappointed.

IIRC, there's a print interview with Robert Margouleff (somewhere on the interwebs too) where he intimated it was Universal he asked (and got the cold shoulder from) about Stevie's back catalogue in surround.

MAJOR BUMMER, DUUUUUDE..!!!! :mad:

Look on the bright side of life...
When ES is busy he is working for us. :)

Yes, if he can get those pre-Gaucho Steely Dan albums to us in 5.1, he need never speak a word in public. I heard they were surround mixed by him almost a decade ago. Does anyone know the true reason why they haven't been released? Given the group's notoriously infuriating perfectionism in the studio, you might assume they are the block, but it all seems very odd.

Back