Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok to make sure I understand corectly--buy external blu ray drive (obviously one that plays dvd a) so I can use the software you mentioned. Now several things: first what about sacd? Iirc there isnt software that will do the dsd mc copying? second what is the difference/necessity of decryption vs. extraction? next I assume I need software to do the mc playback, any I prefer and finally why do you suggest rca analog cables vs hdmi output to receiver? I woud think hdmi has better quality digtal sound because I sold my old Oppo that had them and got the Pioneer 62 FD to use hdmi so I could hook it up to my receiver without the rca inputs. I typically listen in direct mode with no processing to music. Thanks for the advice so far and I hope we havent hijacked this thread, if so please let me know the best place to continue this coversation.

You need spelling check. analog 5.1/7.1 is just as good at doing high res audio as digital. Remember it all started with analog. I don't know of an ext. drive that will do BD and dvd audio. You would have been better to keep the Oppo.
I continue to use analog as my avr is older, and has no HDMI. The only difference in HDMI use is the ability to do pure DSD, and there is no noticeable difference in playback, plus you don't want to interfere with high res audio with any DSP. The signal ought be as pure as possible. Analog multi-channel input is with out any digital signal input from the avr.

I don't need spell check, I need to hit my tablet keys harder. I am stuck with all digital with my set up, but no processing. It sounds good to me, very good. I don't have high end anything, but I like what I have and it fit (if that is possible) my budget and suits its purpose. That being said, I would love to hear a really nice set up to see what I am missing someday. Anyway, once again, thanks to everyone who has enlightened me a bit more on this, and I will continue to investigate and educate myself on the computer stuff. Back to the original thread now...I have several ES mixed discs. What I was wondering is are there any "apprentice" type people doing mixing following his remarkable work? I know Steve Wilson has some very nice work also, but I don't know if anyone credits ES with the techniques they use, etc. If so, any examples I can peruse and see what I think?

This one slipped past me somehow but I just acquired a copy of John Fogerty's "Premonition." A live concert DVD recorded on a soundstage at Warner Brother's Studios in 1997. Dolby 5.1 mixed of course by Elliott Scheiner. A classic ES live discrete mix! Far superior to the later Fogerty live DVD, "Long Road Home" - both in mix and performance. I picked this up used, in very good condition, on Amazon for under $20.

I don't need spell check, I need to hit my tablet keys harder. I am stuck with all digital with my set up, but no processing. It sounds good to me, very good. I don't have high end anything, but I like what I have and it fit (if that is possible) my budget and suits its purpose. That being said, I would love to hear a really nice set up to see what I am missing someday. Anyway, once again, thanks to everyone who has enlightened me a bit more on this, and I will continue to investigate and educate myself on the computer stuff. Back to the original thread now...I have several ES mixed discs. What I was wondering is are there any "apprentice" type people doing mixing following his remarkable work? I know Steve Wilson has some very nice work also, but I don't know if anyone credits ES with the techniques they use, etc. If so, any examples I can peruse and see what I think?

No, the only other stuff that's done "new" is by SW. There are other engineers who delve into 5.1 but the absolute best stuff comes from ES. Lots of us don't have high end setups, And all you really need is a universal blu ray player and a clean amp with decent speakers. As for me, I'm on a low budget-a real low one and if not for e bay and CL I would be out any source's to play my music. I have seen especially now, decent equipment being sold a fairly inexpensive prices. People just need cash flow ( don't we all) and there are deals out there.

Hi.

I didn't see listed:
Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat (DVD-A + CD)

Excellent.

BTY, I noticed you misspelled Fagen on you other listings.

Regards,

Joel

Was just checking this thread as an inventory of Elliott Scheiner mixes, and YouTube led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdd_K-g0dKM

Apparently Scheiner mixed the album by Band of Horses called Infinite Arms in surround, but I can find no evidence of commercial availability. Does anyone else have info on this mix?

Also, my impression is that Elliott Scheiner is now retired. Should/can we now reach out to him via Steven Wilson to visit QQ since one presumes he is no longer booked solid with ongoing projects?

Just a thought....

Watched Beside You in Time BD by NIN some days ago_One of my favorite live disc's.Have had it on HD-DVD for years,but as I can't play that at the moment,I had to have the BD too.:)Always thought it was very discreete,with keys and guitars
in the rears.And sure,as the text rolls over the music at the end, it says 5.1 mix by ES!(y)

Does anyone have an update on the mix? I am not on Facebook so I cannot reach out to the band. Can someone else?

Ok, I will give it a shot, just posted a message at their facebook:

12:06PM
Will we ever be able to hear the 5.1 mix that was done by Elliot Scheiner of your album Infinite Arms?

Was just checking this thread as an inventory of Elliott Scheiner mixes, and YouTube led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdd_K-g0dKM

Apparently Scheiner mixed the album by Band of Horses called Infinite Arms in surround, but I can find no evidence of commercial availability. Does anyone else have info on this mix?

Also, my impression is that Elliott Scheiner is now retired. Should/can we now reach out to him via Steven Wilson to visit QQ since one presumes he is no longer booked solid with ongoing projects?

Just a thought....

Seems they were going to include it in the Deluxe package for 100 bux back in 2010 described like this:

“The deluxe edition includes the 180g Infinite Arms Vinyl, an Infinite Arms CD, a DVD featuring videos for each song on the album synched to a 5.1 surround sound mix of the record, all packaged together in a 12.5 x 12.5-inch hard-bound, 100+ page coffee table book featuring the photography of Christopher Wilson."

It was released without the DVD!!

It never came toooooooooooooo be and yeah with that you tube video boasting about it with Elliott and the band WTF!??? :howl

Add Layla to that list. I wish I could listen to that mix, but I'm not gonna buy that box set.

I'm wondering if a moderator could complete the OP's list with our recent posts and the material named in this thread?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12000-The-Elliot-Scheiner-Thread

It kills me that I can't get this mix except for very high resale prices.

ES's Layla mix is one I hope they'll release as a standalone blu-ray someday. I've looked high and low for a blu-ray separated from the set in the past, and not seen one.

It kills me that I can't get this mix except for very high resale prices.

ES's Layla mix is one I hope they'll release as a standalone blu-ray someday. I've looked high and low for a blu-ray separated from the set in the past, and not seen one.

That opportunity already came and went back in 2013 when a Blu-Ray audio disc of "Layla" was released that was stereo-only…
https://www.discogs.com/Derek-The-Dominos-Layla-And-Other-Assorted-Love-Songs/release/6174651

Ok, I will give it a shot, just posted a message at their facebook:

12:06PM
Will we ever be able to hear the 5.1 mix that was done by Elliot Scheiner of your album Infinite Arms?

Thanks for sending that. Hopefully they will respond. Maybe we can get an exclusive on an unreleased Scheiner mix!

I personally think that Scheiner is Lord GOD King Boo Foo when it comes to surround. Wouldn't it be nice if Scheiner and Wilson collaborated on something?. :D

Back