DVD Audio Extractor - Very Nice!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your next step? making mutlichannel files?

When I make MCH FLAC files from a 7.1 or Atmos disk, it says "6CH" on the first screen, but when I click next, one of the options is to make multichannel files with all 8 channels.

I should clarify - an Atmos Blu-ray requires me to decrypt it in MakeMKV first.

Has anyone used this to rip both the stereo and multi-channel for Queensryche's Empire DVD-A disc? It shows me 2 tracks but rather than a 6 channel and stereo they are both 6 channel. I thought perhaps the stereo was just contained in a 6 channel wrapper thus only 2 of the 6 channels would be active but once I output each track they ended up both being identical and were definitely making use of all channels.

I confirmed via the menus using my Oppo that when the high res stereo option is selected it is indeed playing in stereo so I'm at a loss how to get DVDAE to see the stereo tracks.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

I have had the opposite with DVDAE... Trying to rip the 6 channel section where there was an extra track at the bottom. It would only let me do 2 channels when I knew it was a surround album.

Completely baffled me for a bit until I realised there was an extra 2 channel track bundled with the songs - usually a menu or something. Unticking that allowed me to then select ‘all 6 channels’ on the next page. Not sure if this is a similar issue reversed, but could be worth a go?

Thanks

I don't think that's the issue but I'll double check this evening. I know there were 2 main sections, both having 11 songs each and the specs when all songs are selected in each section was 24bit 96kHz 6CH. I only ripped one main section at a time (11 songs) as I was sending them to different folders to keep everything separate.

This disc is one where DVDAE can't retrieve any of the metadata with the exception of just the album name so I have to manually overwrite the defaults before I actually perform the rip.

I think I have run into this before as well...

Not all DVD-Audio disks have a dedicated stereo layer. Some very popular releases do not... Steely Dan's Gaucho and ELP's Brain Salad Surgery seem to be two that stick in my mind as being stereo-less.

Some releases do have a stereo layer, but it may not be MLP encoded. And sometimes the stereo layer resides in the video.ts directory, not the audio.ts directory where you generally find the MLP tracks. In this case the stereo tracks may not even be in a lossless format. You can find these tracks by navigating DVDAE to look there and see what it finds.

The thing that baffled me for a while was that although there may be no stereo layer at all, regardless of format, on the disk, it can be played in stereo on my system. I am told it does this because the files contain meta data (or possibly there is a "standard") that directs the player how to fold down the 5.1 into 2.0. I do not know if DVDAE does a similar fold down when you rip a disk to 2.0 from the 5.1 tracks.

This was helpful, thanks.

So I put the disc in my Oppo player, loaded up the stereo tracks and started playing a song. I then used the Oppo's Info menu to get a look at what the file format was and it was PCM. So I flipped over to the surround track and it's MLP.

Mystery solved, there is no 2.0 MLP track listing. Odd that DVDAE finds 2 identical 5.1 listings.

This was helpful, thanks.

So I put the disc in my Oppo player, loaded up the stereo tracks and started playing a song. I then used the Oppo's Info menu to get a look at what the file format was and it was PCM. So I flipped over to the surround track and it's MLP.

Mystery solved, there is no 2.0 MLP track listing. Odd that DVDAE finds 2 identical 5.1 listings.

If you open the DVD_Video folder manually, you will probably find the 2 channel PCM there. Unless it is one of those DVD-Audios that mixdown the 5.1 to create a 2 channel on the fly in which case you need DVDAExplorer which can perform the mix down.

The LPCM tracks were in the Video folder so once I changed the default directory in DVDAE it saw the files and I was able to rip them.

Thanks to LovemyQuad and Cheezmo for the suggestions of looking in the video folder.

Another quirk I came across last evening was when ripping Megadeth's Peace Sells DVDAE saw an extra 10 second track at the end. So I ripped it to see what it was and it's the final10 seconds of the last song, very strange. Odd that it would show up as a separate track.

Back