Music DVD Poll Genesis - The Video Show

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Genesis - The Video Show"

• Total voters
I teetered between 7 and 8. I'll say 7. Some mixes are great, some are good, some are dull.

The videos are pretty horrific for the most part. Silly stuff.

In general pretty uninteresting stuff. Too much Phil. He monopolizes the center channel as if it was his. In fact I was almost ready to package it up and mail it too him. I came to my senses when I realized that 26 pounds shipping weight would be way too much. I vote 6 on this one. Peter Gabriel does appear on the last video. That's what jettisoned it from a 4 to a 6.

Pretty dull mixes although good sound quality and the Videos are spottty at best. Land of Confusion is missing all of the chat from the pupets which was integral to the original Vid.

my favorite on this 'home by the sea'

Dull maybe, but beacause of that some synths and guitar effects, as well as the drum pattern of "Tonight tonight tonight" might surprise you in the back:rolleyes:

That Phil and Ray occupy the center channel is a lovely idea. Both are fantastic singers, and when you isolate the center, you can hear their voices in all their glory. Too bad they didn't do the same with Peter Gabriel.

Also very nice to see Phil drumming and singing at the same time as on most 80/81 videos. His acting is great too. Sometimes the 3 pretend to play brass! Very funny videos all in all.

The "Trick" videos + audio are priceless. I'd never dreamt of a 5.1 mix of "Ripples". And it's quite great.

Overall, a 7 from me. Even with the video turned off, listening to the music only, many of these mixes just aren't discrete enough for me, and the only word I can think of to describe them is 'busy.'

ED :)

There's a truckload of tracks here to listen to, and I've barely made it through the whole thing once. Many yawners mixwise, no doubt. But here and there some true discreteness, sometimes where you least expect (Illegal Alien).

Unexpected highlight: That's All. If you want to hear a really fine example of an "ambient" mix, here's one. "Ambient mix" has become code for glorified stereo, a.k.a. Silverline -- just another way of saying "bad". This track shows there is such a thing as a legitimate front-centered pop mix. Why it works so well: this is a very basic track, mostly bass + drums + accoustic piano, so it makes sense to have this smaller ensemble start out up front. Electric guitar and synth provide occassional texture, and the mix uses reverb and other effects to open up at the appropriate points. It fits the song perfectly.

I actually like this one a lot!! I don't mind the lack of rear information because what is there is enough for me. I really like the older tracks like Trick Of The Tail and Ripples. I gave it an 8

I don't mind *busy* surround mixes, just wonder why this one's so...busy and cluttered. But when it isn't--the earlier tracks come off better in this regard--it tends to be more appealing to me. Can't help but wonder, however, why more wasn't done to open some of these up, and in a more creative way than presented. YMMV, of course...

I was surprised by the lack of consistency in the surround mix.
Some tracks seemed to poses only an ambient style mix while others were bit more active in the rears. Overall I was disappointed with the mix.

As Nick Davis was credited with all the mixes, I am suddenly no longer that eager for the 5.1 discs that he did to be released.

A bit problem is that some of the mixes are so cluttered that, at times, it's hard to tell e what's discrete. Whatever else one thinks of Peter Gabriel's remixes, except for "Solsbury Hill"(ambient, no multi-track could be found, I guess)the mixes are very discrete, if not always faithful to the original stereo. Here, one could argue the mixes may be a bit too faithful, in a way. Whatever, I wouldn't say this is a bad collection overall..but I agree, many of those videos are visually horrendous; like the Queen DVD, best heard and not seen...:D

I think it sounds busy becuase so much of what is in the rears is just echoed from the front. It just makes it sound loud and big but not very discreet and in my opinion, not very good. To my ear it doesn't sound much of a step above what a PLII proccessor would do.

Having listened/watched this three times thus far, I would give it a 7. The videos are quite cheesy (they don't really add anything, so DVDA would have been a good way to go), and the mix itself is fairly standard. After having listened to many discs with too much center channel vocals, I've become a huge fan of the lead being spread over at least 3 or more speakers....the clarity is nice, but it can be a bit much sometimes. As other listeners have already stated, the nature of the surround varies significantly from track to track, but I'd say it is decent throughout.

Are the Duke related mixes on here the same as the SACD?

Are the Duke related mixes on here the same as the SACD?

Yes and No.

The "Turn It On Again" mixes are very similar as far as I remember.
The main difference in the "Duchess" mixes are the fact that the video version misses most of that lovely intro, but other than that I think they are also pretty similar.
The video of "Misunderstanding" has slightly sped up and pitched up audio compared to the album version, but once again, other than that, it's pretty similar.

My understanding is that the albums mixes are the "definitive" surround mixes as Nick Davis had more time to work on those than he did on the Video Show mixes.

One other side note is that each of the albums' DVDs contains the videos with the surround mixes from "The Video Show", so there's really not as much need for this disc unless you either can't find all of the albums, don't want all of the albums, or would like all the videos collected on one disc.

That's really helpful - thanks!

I have the DVD, and have limited interest in Genesis, and Duke looks interesting. I remember some of the mixes on this DVD being very light in the rears, so if these are more impressive I might go for the album. Hopefully it doesn't sound as bad as Invisibile Touch does!

For mine, 'Duke' was one of the most disappointing releases of the catalogue. It is so ridiculously bright to my ears, with PC's vocals and cymbals way too dominant in the mix, that I don't listen to the 2007 remix at all. Such a shame, as I love the album dearly. As a former member of the Genesis forums, I can recall some scathing reviews of the mix and associated arguments about compression and the mastering job of Tony Cousins.

...And this is the crazy thing: Tony Cousins is a great mastering engineer. He cut some great sounding vinyl for Townhouse prior to being at Metropolis. I had two opportunities to get a foot in the door at Metropolis. First time I didn't follow up after finishing degree (I'd even been given a tour around the place - I remember seeing a DAT of the Art of Noise Debussy album there) and second time when I'd made contact again I somehow saw fit to send somebody important there an email about which of the stuff they'd mastered that I thought was not very good (or was very bad) being incredibly arrogant and ignorant about the full process. It could have been pretty cool working at the same place as TimTom and Townhouse Tony, or I might have hated it. Won't know now!

Anyway, I played some of this DVD the other night, and I just can't seem to take to it. The surround mixes are largely uninvolving, and I just don't like the sound.

4/10. Loads of videos on there, but not a great listen.

Back