Music DVD Poll Pink Floyd - Pulse

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Pink Floyd - Pulse"

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & Observations.
This one has been a long time coming.....

Last edited:
Okay, I guess I am first in here. It's difficult to know how to vote on this one. There is certainly a great deal of material crammed onto the 2 discs. I went through everything in it's entirety once. I should also note that the audio stream that the vote is based on is Dolby 5.1 at 448. I could not decode the 640 stream which really makes me extremely mad. If Sony had only included the 448 stream then everything would have been okay, but they decided to include the 640 stream no doubt for all those people that have the new HD equipment and not much to play on it due to Sony's "Failure To Launch". So there is something "better" that I can't get at. If it had been a high-bitrate DTS stream then I think I would be a lot happier. The 448 stream is adequate but is not the best concert sound I have heard. So it's 9 for the package and the general feel of the product and 6 for the way that Sony handled the bit streams and the sound that I am able to get out of the concert. This makes an average of 7.5 so I am lowering it to 7 overall.

I Was Able To Decode The 640 Stream Its A Tighter Audio The #2 Disc Has Better 5.1 Mix Maybe Because Of Dsotm Sacd 5.1 Mix They Sound Like Pink Floyd Live Just Like Ca. 94 I Gave It A 10 Trainman92

SUPERB, The wife has been wanting me to play the old VHS of Pulse for a few months, and I kept telling her it was going to be released soon on DVD, so lets wait til then. Well, after a long wait it finally got here, and i love it. It sounds GREAT to me. I played it in the 640 stream, but i really don't know much about this. I chose the 640 and it played, so i am guessing it heard it in 640??? Anyway it sounded GREAT to me, and the video was sooooo good. I am very happy with this. The surround mix was better than i was expecting also. One thing i didn't care for though was the DVD case, i would have prefered a plastic one, but that is just me. Happy happy happy!!! A 10.:banana:

The visuals very good the sound I found a little dissaappointing a bit flat on the first disc especially shine on... I was able to decome the higher bit rate DD track which was audably better.

The extras are what makes this DVD worth buying they last longer that teh concert itself.

it would have been nice to have had Astronomie Domine on there somewhere even if only as a beat the bootlegs video

I am going to be hard on this disc as Pink floyd set out to set the standard. in my humble opion they failed on two of three counts.

Sound: no DTS track massive oversite.looses out to the standard setting Led Zep package, surround nicly used 6

packaging: nice pictures but the horrible disc overlap box looses out to the standard setting Led Zep package 8

Extras: If i am being picky why not include all of the videos for the Division Bell and MLOR otherwise on a par or slightly better that the standard setting led Zep package. 10

Total has to be a 9 as its just not quite there

Long time Floyd fan, I was able to swim in the 640 stream with my Pioneer 563a (firmware updated) The packaging could have been better . The audio is great .. cranked it and almost blew my windows out with the low toms on the drum kit! I thought the dark video parts still looked a bit grainy could just be my TV. The extras were cool . I give it an 8 . ...... any easter eggs yet???

On the 3rd listen now and I must admit that even the 448 bit track is pretty damn good. The bass on songs such as "Another Brick In The Wall" is soem of the best that I have heard in a concert. But I still think they made a bad decision on putting a Dolby 640 track on instead of DTS.

Love the cocert but the extras are somewhat a let down, would have preferred more of the concert, the parts that were missed out form the CD.
Would have been nice to have had a DTS track. Was there no other option than 4:3 screen size?
Bill

Prelude:

So, there are a few thing in my life that I regret. One is that when Pink Floyd came to Foxboro Stadium on ths tour in 94, that I did not go.

A second could have been that I never found the VHS tape of this show.

Main Post:

But, all is forgiven now. This is an absolute killer version of what I never saw before. All new to me.

My favorite PF CD is Division Bell. My favorite PF song (other than Dogs) is High Hopes.

Great video, great 5.1 surround sound. I’m glad I skipped the VHS tape version and went straight to this MOFO.

Post Post:

I could care less about any discussion about picture quality, it’s fine and the laser show is terrific.

I could care less about any discussion about DTS or bit rate - the surround sound experience is wonderful.

This is Pink Floyd, and that is what counts.

Me Happy.

Now, if they had played “Dogs”.

Last edited:
If You Don't Think The Industry Dosn't Read This Site ! We Need More To Support Not Take A Way Thanks Bob R /trainman92

I recorded that show when it was performed live from the Italian TV...
It was trasmitted twice.
The first time it was a live broadcast, which included a few mistakes Gilmour did during the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" solo at the beginning...
The second time there was no mistakes at all...

I think I had both recordings somewhere....

Now, I need to be upgraded to the DVD version for sure....

I do! I do!

He means that we should be thankful for what we get. If we are always bitching and moaning about everything that comes out, well, then, nothing will come out! :D

still doesn't mean we shouldn't point out what we don't like!

I do! I do!

He means that we should be thankful for what we get. If we are always bitching and moaning about everything that comes out, well, then, nothing will come out! :D

Thanks Jon, and in that case I agree entirely! Mike.

If we are always bitching and moaning about everything that comes out, well, then, nothing will come out! :D

You are right I think. This is revenue for Sony etc however. They need feedback as you say. If not we might keep getting less than optimal product which might end up decreasing their revenue. There....that's the most politically correct that I could make it......

No problem. I think that we got spoiled with SACD and DVD-A. Before those formats came out, we were thrilled with 5.1 on DVD Videos, then blown away with the DTS CD. It was hard to believe that after almost 25 years, surround music discs were being sold again in stores!

Then, when SACD and DVD-A came out, it was almost too good to be true. Since these surround formats were also HiRez, we got spoiled to the MAX.

Then, boom, it was gone! UGH! Kinda spoils it, yet, as you pointed out, we should still enjoy what little trickles out, as it is, as they say, better than nothing!

Back