Music DVD Poll Pink Floyd - Pulse

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Pink Floyd - Pulse"

• Total voters
I liked the rear effects on this one, more than simple audience ambience, and
an optional higher stream is better than nothing. The higher stream played fine thru my 578A-s and Yamaha RX-V730, and even worked thru a cheapie "diamond" brand dvd player on my Kenwood VR-506 which is maybe +5 years old now. DTS would've been nicer but I'm surprised we got this DVD at all at this point. good mix.(y)

Last edited:
I'm very happy with this DVD set. Frustrated that it went through so many delays, but thrilled to have it. Doesn't really compare to the VHS version at all. I love the mix (we have yet another surround mix of DSOTM!):banana: , the picture is awesome, the extras are interesting, and I have no complaint at all about the 640 stream. I think it sounds crisp, rich, and the bass makes my Infinity IL-50's rumble with delight. There are a few darker scenes where the picture is a bit grainy, but the quality through the rest of the the show makes up for that. I have never seen a more incredible and awe inspiring light show. I had a chance to go see this tour in '94 and passed it up. I had a feeling I would regret it. This gets a 10 in my book.

Slightly off topic... but has anyone heard any recent news on the WYWH SACD release? Guess I'm never satisfied....:D

I've Got Every Format Of Dsotm At Lease One Of Each I Can't Wait For Who Many Their Will Be For This One/trainman92

Absolutely LOVE IT! I have been listening to it in my car constantly! Every concert DVD should be like this one! You really get your money's worth since it has a ton of extra stuff and it was only $15.99!!(y)

I think PULSE is pretty damm good but not all that i thought it would be. The video is much much better than the VHS version and the sound kills it over the video altogether. The light show can now be seen as it was meant to and man is it awesome! God, imagine being there watching the biggest damm disco ball ever shine light on you cray diamonds while david gilmour is playing one of the greates solos of all time ("Comfortably Numb"). I think that one thing i share with all of you here however, is the wait...The wait was excruciatingly bad and it pi$$ed me off with all the delays!!! But now its here and i am happy that i will have it till i freakin die!!!

On the negative side, I don't know why they omitted 'Hey You' from the dvd amongst other songs. Its like on the DSOTM dvd where "Any Colour You Like" did not get a mention. What's with that Floyd? I love those songs! These omissions disappointed me. But all in all, PULSE is a gem and will be treasured for life. HAIL THE MAGIC OF THE DVD IN ALL ITS GLORY!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES IN THE FORM OF PINK FLOYD!!!

PEACE OUT SPACEHEADS

Played disc one. No problem with the 640 DD. Visually stunning. Great mix and really nice sound. Mellow top end. I saw the Momentary Lapse tour and found it boring. This one is way better. Can't wait for disc 2!!!!

No problem decoding the higher bitrate in my Pioneer 563A - great visuals, thoughtful and effective surround mix, tons of extras.(y) One minor criticism - the drums and percussion are buried in the mix at times - you would think with 2 drummers that they would sound massive - a little too polite for my taste - but soundwise overall, a great concert presentation. Despite the criticism I give it a 10.

No problem decoding the higher bitrate in my Pioneer 563A - great visuals, thoughtful and effective surround mix, tons of extras.(y) One minor criticism - the drums and percussion are buried in the mix at times - you would think with 2 drummers that they would sound massive - a little too polite for my taste - but soundwise overall, a great concert presentation. Despite the criticism I give it a 10.

I agree. I wish the drums had more presence.

Speaking of drums..the ending to Learning to Fly is awesome! No lack of presence there.

No. Obviously they pumped the drums up in the mix for that section. But that is one minor quibble I have, that the drums could have used more oomph for most of it.

you might want to try to take the subs up to 95-97 db instead of 83-85 also if you use a small eq maybe, an sweeten up the bottom end thru the sub output if you have a power sub then eq it to your liking just recall your crossover points are for your sub thru your reciver /trainman92

you might want to try to take the subs up to 95-97 db instead of 83-85 also if you use a small eq maybe, an sweeten up the bottom end thru the sub output if you have a power sub then eq it to your liking just recall your crossover points are for your sub thru your reciver /trainman92

I have more than enough bass. It's the presence of the drums I'm talking about.

sorry ,if you need more punch with good air movement then try what i said to do with the subs but if you need more presence then do what i did use 1/3 eq's on each channel i was able to pick out the drums with no problem with out making it to top heavy in fact everthing jump out/trainman92

It's great content and great sound, the pictures quality knocks it down 1 point however. Although it's much better than the VHS.

I have more than enough bass. It's the presence of the drums I'm talking about.

I've found that this disc was mastered at a fairly decent level (compared to all the LOUD crap out there), and if I crank it at a high volume, it REALLY opens up and gets punchy. Guess I was gun shy after playing some of my other discs that blow your head off. I don't have any issues anymore with the drums or bass.

Well, after much prevarication I weakened & bought it.
The video is frankly disappointing in 4:3, even though that was what I guess it was filmed in. Seems lacking in clarity & definition to me.
Bonus material is well worth the money alone.
Shame there is no DTS stream though, and that has to be the biggest disappointment for me - okay, my Denon will play the 640 stream - but why oh why include a stream that is not DVD-Video compliant, when even a half-bitrate DTS stream would be not only better, but also spec compliant.

The authoring is top-rate though. Worth the wait? Yes. Definitely.
But it could have been so much better with only a little more effort.

Edit to the last post.
After comparing the running order with the earlier Double Q-Sound encoded CD, there are some definite anomalies & omissions in this DVD.

Running order from Q-Sound CD / DVD Reissue
1 - Shine On You Crazy Diamond / Shine On You Crazy Diamond
2 - Astronomy Domine / Learning To Fly
3 - What Do You Want From Me / High Hopes
4 - Learning To Fly / Take It Back
5 - Keep Talking / Coming Back To Life
6 - Hey You / Sorrow
7 - A Great Day For Freedom / Keep Talking
8 - Sorrow / Another Brick In The Wall (Pt.2)
9 - High Hopes / One Of These Days
10 - Another Brick In The Wall (Pt. 2)

What is happening here? Tracks missing, tracks in the wrong order, arewe talking 2 different nights then? Looks likely.
Perhaps we ought to make our own compilation - with all the material.

What is happening here? Tracks missing, tracks in the wrong order, arewe talking 2 different nights then? Looks likely.
Perhaps we ought to make our own compilation - with all the material.

Yes Neil, I still remember there were two different shows.
One night they played the "cd version" playlist, and the other the "dvd version" playlist.
When I saw the show in 1994 I hoped to see the one with the oldest songs (such as Astronomy Domine), instead they did the "DVD" playlist.
Worth the money anyway :D

Lucanu - that clears that one up then.
I'm not saying the DVD isn't worth getting, please don;t get me wrong. It is well worth having. It's just a shame these tracks are missing from the new version.
It may be an interesting idea to try & find an old VHS version of the original release, as I feel sure this had the same running order as the CD version did.

Back