HiRez Poll Satriani, Joe - STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Joe Satriani - STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Need to spin my copy again soon. \m/

Spinning my copy... This is really, really great. Not sure I love the concept of tracks which chiefly serve to support guitar melodies.
But I guess I like lead trumpet, lead sax and this is just a modern lead voice. Mix is killer. Fidelity awesome. Interest has been growing with each listen.
I'm thinking strong 9, cause it ain't no Raven. :D

Listening now to this stellar SACD mch release. I voted 10. The surround mix is very interesting if you listen the fronts have a bleed over to rear, that is not ambient, more discrete, but you don't have certain instruments dedicated to certain channels. There is some gimmicks with phasing back and forth but it works wonderfully. The music obviously is dedicated to one performer so you can understand the mix. I purchased his all studio albums RBCD box set a couple of years ago and I would purchase in a second if his catalog could be released in surround.
Another candidate for all surround releases.

Another candidate for all surround releases.
Next time he plays a concert in my area with a meet and greet I plan on discussing the subject with him. I got to meet him at a meet and greet in 2004 and he was just the nicest guy you would ever want to meet.

A 10 with the highlight being the four guitar lines in each corner of your room during the beautiful final track, You Saved My Life.

Such a shame they didn't include the 5.1 mix on the recent complete album collection. I wish they'd do surround mixes for Flying in a Blue Dream and The Extremist.

Spinning my copy... This is really, really great. Not sure I love the concept of tracks which chiefly serve to support guitar melodies.
But I guess I like lead trumpet, lead sax and this is just a modern lead voice. Mix is killer. Fidelity awesome. Interest has been growing with each listen.
I'm thinking strong 9, cause it ain't no Raven. :D

When I listen to Joe's lead melodies, I can usually imagine that he actually has lyrics in mind to match the melody (and often times the "chorus" melody would fit perfectly if you were to sing the title of the song along with it). I wonder if he's ever addressed this in interviews...

As you can see I voted 10 previously, a super duper SACD multichannel. This is a great example of what bugs me in rock releases where there is an entire catalog and only one title represents in surround. Not sure why as box sets, Talking Heads, Chicago, etc can be so successful. Steve Miller puts out one, Ten Years After puts out one, plus many others. Joe did put out the Chrome Dome USB 24/96 stereo all release but I was just getting into Hi Res in 2014 and didn't understand at that time I should have purchased, I think it was around $90.00, now it's gone, nobody ever sells theirs.

Yes as would I. I luckily picked it up on Ebay UK for a reasonable sum as I was the only bidder!! Couldn't believe that no one else was going to push my spending limits. As others have previously said, this really uses all those surround speakers to the full. Another petition candidate? I vote a resounding 9. (no pun intended!!)

Found this sucker hiding in the corner... Dragged it out and cranked it. Kicks ass! My favorite Satch album made better by swirling guitar mixes and fantastic fidelity! Can't remember what I originally voted, but it wasn't high enough. Get it if you can find it!

don't forget you can now up your original QQ vote (a "7") if you have a change of heart.. 😉

seriously considering upping my "9" to a "10"..! 🤔

edit: I've had another listen and I've thought about it.. it's a "10" 🎉

Last edited:
I like this one alot. The guitar is great and the bass is nice and crisp. Just wish it wasn't so loud. My ears find a couple of songs like #5 & #7 pushed almost to distortion. Sleepwalk & Hill groove are very dynamic and not recorded at Spinal taps 11

Don't know how anyone could vote less than 9 on this & I can't believe I never voted.
Solid 10.
I used to use this as a demo disc.
Clean as hell and really, really crankable on my system.
As far as the 7's, I guess sometimes there's a couple of floaters in the porcelain bowl that refuse to flush

One of those amazinging dynamic recordings where all the elements come together in perfect unity. A VERY SOLID 10!

See the source image

Last edited:
Back