DTS-CD $99 Creative DTS external ENCODER!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, now I say the DTS-610 works with no reservation.

I hooked the quad reel outputs to the QS decoder 4 channel inputs.
Don't use any decoding, and use the output volume control on the QSD-1 dialed to 2.5. QSD-1 is already on the dbx-200s so hooked
DTS-610 to tape 1 output on dbx-200s. Attenuation problem solved.

One good feature of the DTS-610, it has 2 digital outputs and both are active. So can send output to the DTS decoder to monitor the recording and
send the second digital output to the CD recorder.

I believe the Sony SQD-2020 has a similar volume control function that will control a 4 channel output volume.
Use CD-RWs so you can erase back to the last good track ending, and resume from that point.

Vinylguy4

According to UPS tracking, I will receive my DTS610 tomorrow. I hope it will work with my Philips recorder. It sounds like it might. But if it doesn't, I guess I can replace the recorder with one that will work. At least with the 44.1 khz sample rate, it has a fair chance.

The Quadfather

Hey Y'all:
My DTS610 encoder arrived and I did not connect it for several days. Yesterday I got the chance. It comes with a cable with three miniature phone plugs on both ends. To connect it to a system I needed three miniature phone female to female barrels and three miniature phone stereo to RCA adapter Y. The Y comes with two male RCA plugs and a male miniature stereo phone plug. If I could have found a Y with a female miniature phone jack, I would not have needed the barrels. It has a fiber optic Tos Link cable with it, and this is useful to connect the input. You can also connect with an RCA connection but there is no cable for that. It has loopthroughs for both the Toslink and the RCA data connection which is helpful if you have to insert it between two pieces of gear.

Now I pull out my number 3 rack and open the back to access all the connections, and connect the new equipnent. Push the rack back in place and pray it works. I put a disc in and select the input on the Philips recorder. It tests the input and declares it to be bit perfect. This means it is 44.1 KHZ as the player will only identify as "bit perfect" a 44.1 KHZ rate. There is a digital level control system in this unit and I was afraid it might sully the signal. At this point it is still a possibility. But will it roll the disc? Hit record, Yes, And it starts rolling. So far so good. But will I get good DTS or will I get hash? I finalized the disc and took it to my truck and put it in the Clarion DTS system and VOILA! MUSIC! In glorious 4channel sound! Well, maybe not so glorious because the car system is a four channel system and the recording is 5.1, and the center vocals were not getting through. But the point is, It works!

Apparently there is no downsampling required. This explains why it works, because I don't believe a DTS signal will survive downsampling unless the downsampler is specifically designed for a DTS bitstream. This explains why I could not downsample a DVD player's bitstream using the Behringer unit I bought. But that would be another great coup if we could find a real time downsampler that could do that. We could just play the DTS track from a DVD Audio disc, downsample it, and record it at 44.1 KHZ on a CD player. I wonder if the folks at Creative Labs ever thought their little box would be used this way. After the warranty is out, I might rebox mine in a rack mount case, but then again, maybe not. Anyway, I'm happy.

The Quadfather

Nice! It's always an "adventure" waiting to see if something like this will do something it's supposed to. Glad it worked out.

Page two of this thread has been very informative, thanks all!

I picked up a DTS-610 at auction some time ago, but due to a supply crunch in getting shielded miniature headphone to RCA cables, I had only been able to run a quick 2-channel-at-a-time test for function.
I was recently able to integrate it into my system and try it out fully, and ran into the very issues that Vinylguy4 mentioned. After narrowing down the source of the noise to the DTS encoder, and not
something else in the signal chain, I pulled it from the system and was bummed out with the thought of having a defective encoder.

It took a while to rediscover this thread, but it saved me from starting a whole other thread about this same subject. So, there's hope for my encoder yet! The only other strange thing was on one of the first
full tests, the encoder seemed to be running at an accelerated rate, like playing an LP at 45rpm. A quick power off and power back on of the encoder corrected that. Anyone else had weird behavior with their
DTS-610's?

Back