HiRez Poll Browne, Jackson - RUNNING ON EMPTY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Jackson Browne - RUNNING ON EMPTY!

• Total voters
I thought it worked...when you record in hotel rooms, how much back info are you going to get in the final mix? :D

ED :)

I have to agree. Actually, I feel kinda stupid for not "getting" this in the first place - ROE is a mix of hotel rooms and stages, therefore the mix of discrete and ambient mix philosophies. It all makes sense now!

(It took me years to realize that the scarecrow was the smartest, the tin man was the kindest, and the lion was the bravest... so if I'm a little slow please forgive me!)

I listened to this one again the other night, hoping I would enjoy it more then I did the first few times I played it. I didn't.

The mix really doesn't do anything for me. I wish I could also say I enjoyed the music a bit more too.

I'm going to give it a 6, because I get the feeling this could have been a lot better then it was. There were some good moments, but they were few and far between for me.

I just don't understand what's not to like on this one. If you grew up listening to JB (as I did), this disc should be a revelation. As everyone knows by now, this was a live/rehearsal/motel production so there is going to some variance to the way this disc sounds.

I had a friend over the other night and put this on and gave him the preferred sweet spot ;) The smile that never seemed to leave his face for the whole disc (even though he was initially only going to listen to a few tracks) told me that he would rate this as highly as I have (and he is as familiar with the original material as I am).

As a matter of fact, one of my demo tracks for the surround uninitiated is The Road. When the song transitions into the live portion of the song it continues to give me such an amazing feeling of complete satisfaction in the treatment of this classic recording.

I gave it a 9 but now I somewhat feel I cheated it out of a perfect 10.

I just don't understand what's not to like on this one. If you grew up listening to JB (as I did), this disc should be a revelation. As everyone knows by now, this was a live/rehearsal/motel production so there is going to some variance to the way this disc sounds.

I had a friend over the other night and put this on and gave him the preferred sweet spot ;) The smile that never seemed to leave his face for the whole disc (even though he was initially only going to listen to a few tracks) told me that he would rate this as highly as I have (and he is as familiar with the original material as I am).

As a matter of fact, one of my demo tracks for the surround uninitiated is The Road. When the song transitions into the live portion of the song it continues to give me such an amazing feeling of complete satisfaction in the treatment of this classic recording.

I gave it a 9 but now I somewhat feel I cheated it out of a perfect 10.

As with any of this stuff, it's subjective, and people are entitled to their opinion, but I'm with you. Easily an 8 or higher, and I always enjoy it when I pop it in.

I have listened to this dvd-a maybe 500 times now. I never get sick of it. JB was a bit before my time, and my girlfriend was 1 when this album originally came out. We have both fallen in love with this dvd. I think the mix is perfect. The songs are brilliant. Even the story behind the album is intriguing. I wish whoever mixed this, mixed the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD, as that was just brutal.

Only just acquired a copy of this one - and I can see from my Test Mould copythat it went through a lot of incarnations (mine says "v-7" on it)
doubtless because of the terrible trouble that the early discs were to make.
(There was no GUI at all in DAC, just scripts that had to be hand-written, and no way to proof anything either, and then the only burn/write option was to a single layer disc at "Authoring" grade (3.7Gb) with a Pioneer S-2000 writer (SCSI, $2,000 a pop)
So a DVD9 just could not be proofed until a test mould had been pressed.

It's not much better these days (Still no proofing until an image gets burned) - but at least we can write a DVD9.
Review to follow when I have played it a few times.

FYI your local Walmart may have this in the budget bin as a $5 cut out. I pick up two copies at my local Oaklyn NJ store.

Cheer's Michael

FYI your local Walmart may have this in the budget bin as a $5 cut out. I pick up two copies at my local Oaklyn NJ store.

Cheer's Michael

Just wait, in a month or so they'll be on eBay, being sold as "your last chance to get a sealed copy of this treasure" Minimum bid $250. (Guess the seller) ;)

One minor complaint is that the lyrics do not automatically change pages as the music plays. If other releases can turn the page, why can not they all turn the page? Is it rocket science?

Whilst it might not be rocket science, it is in fact not as simple as you might think to pull this off. The trouble is that to make the lyrics "turn the page" automatically, you have to lose all the browseable stuff because no player can work with both timed & untimed material at the same time.
To make the lyrics "linked" (to use the parlance of Sonic Solutions) you need to create Audio Cells in each track, where the point that the lyrics need to change is noted as a timecode. With 4 pages of lyrics (as an example) you need to create 4 cells within the track. Once this has been done, that would be a big "goodbye" to the gallery, and anything where you browse content without glitching the disc. So, to use an embedded playlist, you would lose the base track stills.
This is because no player can work in a timed area and jump to an untimed one, or it would have to start the disc over as it would not know where it was on the disc.
Adding Linked Lyrics can be done without duplicating the audio though, you simply create a second group.
For examples of how this can work, check out the Diana Krall disc "Love Scenes", where you have both timed & untimed "maps" through the audio.

Just wait, in a month or so they'll be on eBay, being sold as "your last chance to get a sealed copy of this treasure" Minimum bid $250. (Guess the seller) ;)

Actually, I already gave both copies away to friends.

One of them has a new Pioneer head unit in his car that plays DVD-Audio. He was impressed with the sound when I loaned him my personal copy.

Cheers,

Michael

Actually, I already gave both copies away to friends.

One of them has a new Pioneer head unit in his car that plays DVD-Audio. He was impressed with the sound when I loaned him my personal copy.

Cheers,

Michael

I didn't mean you! :eek:

There's a 'famous' eBay seller who puts stuff up for auction at high prices, and always says "It's the last time you'll ever see one of these for sale".

There's a 'famous' eBay seller who puts stuff up for auction at high prices, and always says "It's the last time you'll ever see one of these for sale".

Yup, absolutely the last one... walking on the sun if you don't buy now! :rolleyes:

Anyway... I just loved the album overall anyway so it coulda been 5 mono
channels and I'd have still liked it!! :D
I can't really add anything more to what has been said before so I'll
leave it at a 9, only for the lyric thing.

-Bob

I believe this title has been offered at $100+ before and likely will be again. I can tell from mymusicfix2 feedback that people buy many items at absurd prices but I sure don't understand it.

It is a great DVD-A and terrific deal at the give away price at Wal-Mart, Amazon.com and Music For a Song.

Chris

Where are you guys seeing this for $5?
On Amazon.com it's much more:
http://www.amazon.com/Running-Empty...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1246529177&sr=1-2

Can I paypal someone the money to grab me one from Wallymarts?
The only copy I have is a test pressing with no artwork or anything...

Amazon.com marketsellers have it for the low price. I don't know if any will ship to the UK but I suspect the price would be prohibitive if they do. No Wal-Mart near me is carrying the cutout CD's and DVD-A titles but apparently stores in several markets in the US do carry this title.

Chris

Neil,

I'll check my local stores. If I see any, I'll grab you one. (and a spare for me!) :D

Neil,

I'll check my local stores. If I see any, I'll grab you one. (and a spare for me!) :D

Jon, I don't recall if you have a Music 4 Less or Music For a Song near you, but I saw this at that music liquidator last visit. I do recall you have been to one or the other at times. Wal-Mart might be less expensive if you have one of those that carry it. I am in the heart of Wal-Mart country and have checked a bunch for the cutout titles without luck.

Chris

Jon, I don't recall if you have a Music 4 Less or Music For a Song near you, but I saw this at that music liquidator last visit. I do recall you have been to one or the other at times. Wal-Mart might be less expensive if you have one of those that carry it. I am in the heart of Wal-Mart country and have checked a bunch for the cutout titles without luck.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

We did have a 'Music For a Song' here in Connecticut at one of the outlet malls down by the shore, but it closed a year or so ago. They actually carried a decent selection of DVD-A's and SACDs, along with many gold MFSL & DCC cut-outs. As you know, they also had the "test market" DualDiscs in their stock for a while.

But now they're gone gone gone. So, I'm left with WalMart. :eek:

Back