HiRez Poll Browne, Jackson - RUNNING ON EMPTY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Jackson Browne - RUNNING ON EMPTY!

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
OK, here it is. Hard to believe! And it's not even a Dual Disc!! :banana:

Please post your thoughts and comments! (y) :phones (n)

OK. I went through it once, in a room all by myself - no distractions.

Hmmm. Hard to say, at some points I was dazzled, others I was ho-hum. But hang on.

The "live" on stage songs, like the title tune, have the old "Stage" mix, with the main music up front, audience in rears. It is very clear and distinct. When you first start the DVD-A, you can hear stuff you never could with the CD, at least I could not. During these stage bits, there are some instruments and music in the rears, so it's an "agressive" stage mix.

On the "Hotel Room" songs is where the 5.1 mix shines. "Cocaine" for example, (both versions) has a VERY discrete mix, guitars are all over the place! :D "The Road" has the fiddle in the rears, "Rosie" has background vocals in the rears. There is a lot of stuff here in the rears. Makes a quad guy happy! :phones

Edit-Strange thing I just noticed. The center channel is used in a strange way. Jackson must not have wanted his voice solo in the center, as he is not there on most of the tunes. On "Shakey Town", he is in the Front Right only, which is weird. However, that tune has a fantastic surround mix. I am noticing more great stuff the second time through.

Overall, I would say that the 5.1 presentation is quite satisfying. I have to hear it a few more times before I rate it, but it is far better than "ambient".

Each song has a photo set with it that you can step through. There are also lyric screens for each tune, however they do not "auto turn" pages for you.

The two "montages" are comprised of the photos you will see with the songs. The first one is to the title tune, and they have the photos "animated" in an interesting sort of way. The second is put to the tracks (no vocals) of portions of some of the albums songs. Kind of cool to hear, almost like listening to the rears alone.

There is a booklet included that talks about the album, it creation, and going back to it. More pictures, and a piece by Cameron Crowe.

The included CD will probably never be used by me, kinda like a coaster. But if that is what's needed to get these DVD-A's out, I don't mind! :smokin

Anyway, I'll spin this a few more times. After all the hype after all the time, I want to make sure I give this a good run through.

Hey, I wonder if I'll ever get my Rhino pre-order, scheduled to ship in 2025! :D

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 960
I'm not dissappointed at all with this release. The M/C mix is perfect for each song. The live tracks get the typical live surround mix: stage up front-crowd in the rears. The tracks recorded in the hotel rooms, backstage and on the bus are just amazing. You feel like you're right in the middle of the room with these guys!!! The song that was recorded on the bus "Nothing but time" even gets an extended few minutes of jamming on the DVD-A disc.
The photos you can view during each song and on the bonus montages bring you right back to the late 70's era!!!
Overall , an excellent release(y) ...IMO, of course
Tim

Overall, I give this a '9'....very thoughtful and smart mixes. jon has pretty much summed things up. The first thing I did notice was how Browne's vocals were spread across the channels on the title track, but more isolated on the 'hotel' recordings, which also isolate things to the rears very well, giving you that 'all around you' feel you might get from a confined space like that.

My wife enjoyed the album as well, but has never been a fan of "Cocaine," and now she got to hear TWO versions! :D [When it comes to drug songs, we both agree "Heroin" is just about the best you can get, as it were.] For myself, I've always found "The Load Out" to be pretentious and forced, but otherwise, the content has always been solid(for a Browne album)and the title track, IMO, his best single recording.

Mr. Browne himself oversaw the project, and while it did take way too long to reach us, the bottom line is that it did. I'm not that keen on the packaging. We've heard of some folks complaining about UMe's special editions slipcases, but with this one, I wish there had been an outer case, it'll have to be handled carefully. I too have no real use for the redbook, but as you say, jon, if that's what it took to get this out, so be it! Send more of the same!

ED :)

Well, we waited about 4 years for this one. My first impression when the title song came on was, "Man the acoustics at the Merriweather Post Pavilion" must really suck. This was backed up later by some other tracks near the end at the same venue. The tracks inbetween done live and in Hotel Rooms/Buses are excellent sonically. The 5.1 is well done on those tracks as well. So a 9 for those songs and a 7 for the other ones. Let's call it an 8 overall. Worth having. Why did they have to put a CD in there though? Mine will be pristine 20 years from now having not been played.

Not sure why it's a CD + DVD-A package, except to sell the latter to redbook-only types with the hope they might get curious enough to investigate. Can't think of any othe reason other than the artist's request. No biggie, though, just a few more bucks and the 5.1 was worth the wait.

ED :)

I listened/watched this disc again all the way through. I think I appreciated it more the second full time, as I had not been waiting 4 years! :D

Anyway, this time I noticed some errors in the lyric screens. Pretty hard to believe when they waited so long to release it.

Also noticed in the credits that Patricks friend is listed as the Executive Producer! Sure wish he could convince the fold to do "The Pretender" in 5.1.

I gave this one an eight - it's pretty darn good, but the different mix styles and fidelity from song to song made it harder for me to enjoy as an overall album. I never owned this one on CD before -- I had his first three albums, but somehow never picked up ROE. So, I actually appreciate having the CD along with the DVD-A disc so I can play it in my car and rip it to my iPod.

However, I almost choked when they said it was $26. I bought it anyway because the guy at Tower Records spent at least 15 minutes looking for the 10 copies they had received the week before. They still had them in the back room, and this was three days AFTER the official release date. I was the first person who had asked about it. Sad, very sad.

JonUrban said:
Also noticed in the credits that Patricks friend is listed as the Executive Producer! Sure wish he could convince the fold to do "The Pretender" in 5.1.

Me too!Four more years! Four more years!

A 9, very nice. I like it quite a bit, the surround mix varys from song to song, but over all it is very good.
Just to think that we finally got this one after so many years of delays, gives me hope for some of the other surround discs that were supposed to be in the making, like more Elton John - the Doors and the Moodies. Heres hoping we will se them someday.:sun

A fair release although I am not so fond of the mix on the title track.
Fake concert reverb.

Jon, I agree with your comments for the most part. This is a very good release with an inconsistent surround mix that ranges from okay to great. Given the nature of the recording, the inconsistency is to be expected. I think they've done an awesome job of retaining the spirit of the recording while enhancing revelation and resolution of the individual elements; all this given the unusual nature of the recording and the fact that it was not originally intended for surround-sound.

I am quite happy with this release and am enjoying it immensely. Yes, it was worth the wait. Its only shortcomings come from pre-existing constraints. A very strong 8 points from me.

No kidding! That should go to Jerry Harrison and the Heads reissue!

ED
12041606-Ti.gif

Yes, the in-concert tracks are less than satisfying from a MC standpoint, but I clearly hear detail in the mix that was buried in the mud on the old stereo issues. And the hotel room cuts are superb!

Clark

Cai Campbell said:
Guys, please reserve this thread for discussion of the merits of this title from a musical, technical and surround-sound quality perspective. If you want to bitch about the award thing, we already have a thread for that:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5924

FYI, I've moved all award-related rants to that thread.

Good point. This thread is for folks to use as a reference, and we should not penalize the product because of politics (or whatever) determined the outcome of a vote.

The fact that "The Brick" is more deserving should not influence the way we feel about this disc and its surround mix.

Thanks to all for understanding!

Got a copy of this in my greedy hands today and have just listened to all but 1 song. All comments by Jon, Ed, and others apply; you guys have summed it up.

On, Track 1, ROE, at first I was disappointed since it was a concert stage mix, but as I listened, the clarity of the vocals, instruments were simply top-rate. To be honest, I've never owned any Jackson Browne LP or even CD's, only heard his stuff on FM. I haven't played the CD, (what's the point), but cannot imagine it sounding as good as this. From a sound quality perspective, the DVD-A is a 10. Since the consistency of using the surrounds varies from song-to-song, and from concert to studio recordings, I'd subtract 2 points.

Like others, my favorites are the acoustic "studio" mixes, and the last bonus track especially. Many yrs ago, I remember a version of Cocaine done by a "folk" guy, with a gravely voice. I think it was Dave Van Ronk, or something like that. To me, Jackson Browne's preserved the bluesy-folk sound of that early version.

Overall, I really like this disc. "Stay" just brings a smile to the face! Wasn't there a 60's era group that did the song for real, complete with the Beach Boy style helium-voices?

ss9001

Last edited:
I expected to be disappointed after the long wait - - but I really wasn’t. True, the mix on the live cuts suffers by comparison to the rest of the album, but I’m not sure how else the material could have been approached. In consideration of the surround mix, I think the album could have started instead with “the Road” (the 2nd song), which begins with a fine discreet mix before morphing into a live mix on the last verse. Then it could have segued right into the live “Running on Empty” with a bit more context, instead of kicking off with the nuthin’ special live mix of the title track before blossoming later. But I suppose I can’t really imagine them messing with the order of such a recognizable album. I loved the photos - - specific to each track - - as well as the two video montages. And ending the original set with the Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs chestnut “Stay” still strikes me as pure genius all these years later. A really nice package. My only real complaint is that this release should have been “Late For The Sky”. But I guess that’s another thread…

I finally received my copy, and I can say without hesitation, that for a longtime Jackson Browne fan, the surround remixes are terrific; well-thought out and executed in reflecting the various recording locations and settings. The extended takes and chatter, as well as the alternate version of Cocaine and instrumental track (quite modern for '77) are welcome additions too. (I've always wondered what he's had in the vault).

A wonderful package overall, and Cameron Crowe is absolutely correct: Joel Bernstein is a great rock photographer. Only one minor quibble (which actually applies to most DVD-As): Take a cue from the Neil Young discs, and start authoring the menus in anamorphic widescreen.

Now get to work on Late for the Sky so it will be ready by 2011.

Back