HiRez Poll Browne, Jackson - RUNNING ON EMPTY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Jackson Browne - RUNNING ON EMPTY!

• Total voters
After reading all the hype surrounding this one, I finally bought it. I'm impressed. My old man had this on vinyl and I remember listening to it a few times growing up. When I bought it, I came home and listened to it in the sweet spot with no distractions. I like the mix overall, it's slightly agressive where it needs to be but it doesn't overwhelm you. A great job overall!

I have listened to this a couple of times now and I like it pretty well. I owned the LP over 25 years ago and loved it but I can't play it now to compare. I am grateful some of my favorite older albums are showing up in 5.1, this one was a big surprise to me. I gave it an 8 and like having the CD for my car.

Chris

I was just looking at my copy of ROE last night. I know this title was supposed to come out a long time ago, but I thought it was curious that the date stamped on the DVD-A disc is 2002!!! Anyone else notice?

And, I'd like to add that I remember reading this thread when it was first released, and we were like, "Huh? A DVD-A and a CD? What's the point?" Well, here in 2006, it appears that the only way well get a DVD-A is packaged with a CD (Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, Morph). Whatever it takes...

Paul

dr. simple said:
I was just looking at my copy of ROE last night. I know this title was supposed to come out a long time ago, but I thought it was curious that the date stamped on the DVD-A disc is 2002!!! Anyone else notice?

I just had a look at my copy, and the date on both the CD and the DVD-Audio is 2005. What's strange though is, that the DVD-Audio also has a "compact disc digital audio" logo on it (right next to the "advanced resolution" logo) :mad:@:

dr. simple said:
And, I'd like to add that I remember reading this thread when it was first released, and we were like, "Huh? A DVD-A and a CD? What's the point?" Well, here in 2006, it appears that the only way well get a DVD-A is packaged with a CD (Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, Morph). Whatever it takes...

Yeah, that concept is a bit strange... I imagine that Joe Sixpack will usually just get the regular CD version, and "people like us" basically just want the DVD-Audio, so adding the CD in the package is a bit redundant. At least where my CD/DVD-Audio sets are concerned, I never even put the CD in the player! The same with Dual Disc: I never play the CD side (I just tried it once out of curiosity if my player was able to read them...)

Best regards,
Oliver

I just received my copy in the mail yesterday. $13.00 from yourmusic.com. I am listening to the CD as I write this. My computer room only has a CD player.

I stayed up until almost midnight last night listening and listening again to the DVD-A 5.1 mix. I will not be posting my vote for this title because a lot of people get upset when a lower than average score is posted.

I lived though the 70's and never owned the album or heard any of the songs on this release, so, it was all new to me. I liked the music. It does not sound in any way dated. The songs and themes are as true today as they were twenty-nines years ago. Music rating = 6.

I am not knocked out about the 5.1 mix. While way better than "Devils and Dust", it does not seem to be anything special and in many ways it is a lot less interesting than many of the other discs that I own. Surround mix rating = 3.

The photos and montages are well done and better than the average DVD-A releases. One minor complaint is that the lyrics do not automatically change pages as the music plays. If other releases can turn the page, why can not they all turn the page? Is it rocket science? Extras rating = 7.

Overall score = 6. Recommended.

tcdriver said:
....... I will not be posting my vote for this title because a lot of people get upset when a lower than average score is posted. ......
Overall score = 6. Recommended.

tcdriver,

Please vote your 6. You have to vote what you feel, otherwise the polls are worthless. It is only when someone votes a "1" or "2" because they:

1) Don't like the format it was issued on
2) Don't like the artist
3) Don't like that style of music
4) Don't like the fact that a particular disc is rated high

etc, that it is a discredit to the polls. A "six" is a very valid vote, and you explained yourself eloquently!

I too agree, it takes very little effort to make the lyrics "turn the page". I don't know why they don't take the time. It's a waste of a very cool and impressive feature!

:banana:

Whoever voted the 1 here is just being silly. If this is a 1, I own a bunch of DVD-A titles that would have to be a minus 3 or worse.

Chris

These polls are public. You can see who voted by clicking the vote.

JonUrban said:
These polls are public. You can see who voted by clicking the vote.

Yes, I understand that but speidi1 is the same as unknown to me. I use my actual name but no matter, the polls allow any vote as they should. He could have loved the vinyl and listened to this and for whatever reason hated it but I suspect Jackson Browne may have refused to sign an autograph or insulted his sister.

Chris

This is the type of vote that annoys me. Thanks to Cai's formula, it is taken care of when we create the chart.

If someone rates a disc that low, they should feel obligated to explain why...only fair. A '10' is self-explanatory most times, a '1' is not.

But, it has no real effect on the results...the median is where you look for the concensus, and so far, that's fairly high...

ED :)

I see no problem whatsoever in CD+DVD-Audio combo packs. If you want to play the CD in your car you already have it included in them. Even if you have no use for the CD, this presentation surely beats the DualDisc one in versatility, convenience and compatibility. Thums up for Warner and Rhino. (y)

Loved this album in 5.1, and I think the CD+DVD-A is the way to go, packaging-wise (as opposed to DualDisc). As I've stated elsewhere, this was a revelation in surround, and the difference in POVs between stage and acoustic was enhanced by the surround experience: it's thematically consistent - the intimate, personal music-making in a hotel room during the song-creation process gives birth to the stage experience - a more polished, but colder, distant listening experience. Also works this way - you're immersed in the creative process and then you shift from first person to third person, as a spectator. Amazing.

My only gripe with the release is the mastering...I would have kept the "hotel room" acoustic tracks about 2-3db lower than the "stage" cuts than they are now. Gives more "oomph" to the live perspective by having that added dynamic range.

Got this when it came out; found it to be a mixed bag after such a LONG wait. This is IT?

The main numbers are revved up nice but not much more than ambience going on. Granted it laps the back wall in waves just like the San Diego Sports Arena (authentic) but I really wanted (expected) an INVOLVING mix. It's odd to me because he went for that approach on all the minor acoustic songs.

I find it jarring to go back and forth on mix philosophies as the disc plays. Guess I'll dig it out over the holidays and see if I still feel this way.

I thought it worked...when you record in hotel rooms, how much back info are you going to get in the final mix? :D

ED :)

The room is irrelevant; they mic'd individual instruments and placed them around the room. THAT is what I wanted with the live band numbers.

As it is, it feels like quad happening down the hall in another room.

Ironically, more involvement was accomplished here using less.

Back