HiRez Poll Browne, Jackson - RUNNING ON EMPTY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Jackson Browne - RUNNING ON EMPTY!

• Total voters
Music For A Song is still alive and well online. I got a sealed Nightfly DualDisc (CD/DVD-A) through them for $12 shipped, but now they're asking $60 as the title is becoming harder to find ... like everything else of course.

As far as ROE, it's especially cheap through Amazon resellers. My closest Wal-Mart is a 30-40 min. drive and I already own a copy. Nice disc, nice package, but boy was I fooled to find out the title track was a live recording. It always sounded like a studio to me when I heard it (radio, Forrest Gump, etc.)

Just got back from a local Walmart. Found a copy of Running On Empty DVDA in the bargain bin for $5. Thanks for the tip. Didn't have this title yet. Do now. Can't beat the price. If they had had a second copy, I'd have picked it up for Neil. I'll probably check a second Walmart during the weekend.

My local walmart didn't have one. I checked both sections with the $5 discs. I did find a Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" CD+DVD pack (not the DVD-A) for $5 which I grabbed for a co-worker. However, there was only one of these there. I wonder if each store only got one copy of "ROE".

Anyone see a store with more than one Running on Empty?? (More walmarts will be visited this weekend for Neil)

My local walmart didn't have one. I checked both sections with the $5 discs. I did find a Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" CD+DVD pack (not the DVD-A) for $5 which I grabbed for a co-worker. However, there was only one of these there. I wonder if each store only got one copy of "ROE".

Anyone see a store with more than one Running on Empty?? (More walmarts will be visited this weekend for Neil)

I don't think we have a $5 section up here, but I'll look.

Just returned from the second local Walmart. Found another copy of ROE. I also saw the Steely Dan EMG CD/DVDV. I believe each Walmart receives one copy. That's all I found at each store I visited.

Neil, you're welcome to the second copy. PM me your mailing address and I'll send it over.

An "8".

For the most part, it sounds gorgeous. Particularly tracks like "The Road" are soooooo beautiful.
The mixes for the studio and live performances fit each one brilliantly.

I just wish it was in a snappy DVDA-sized jewel case, it's such a faff getting it out of the cardboard case!
Plus I love those unique DVDA cases anyway. They make my favourite surround music format even more special somehow.

It's cool to read this now, after hearing the actual DVD-A. I remember reading it in 2001!! :eek: :eek:

http://www.mediaandmarketing.com/Writer/Interviews/SS.Greg_Ladanyi.htm

That link is defunct now Jon but while looking for more info on (the late) Greg Ladanyi's 5.1 mixing work, I found another link to the same interview from 2001 with Greg Ladanyi about the process of remixing "Running On Empty" into 5.1 for DVD-A.

http://www.mediaandmarketing.com/13Writer/Interviews/SS.Greg_Ladanyi.htm

an absolutely fascinating read (y)

so sad he was so tragically killed, he was most certainly a fan of 5.1 and doubtless would have produced more surround mixes if not for the terrible accident that cut short his life in 2009.

In the interview Greg mentions that the master tape did not need to be baked, just re-lubed. What exactly is the process of re-lubing a tape. Is this to eliminate squeaky tape. Never heard of this process before and would like to learn more. I have some reel to reel tapes that might benefit from this procedure.
Phil.

In the interview Greg mentions that the master tape did not need to be baked, just re-lubed. What exactly is the process of re-lubing a tape. Is this to eliminate squeaky tape. Never heard of this process before and would like to learn more. I have some reel to reel tapes that might benefit from this procedure.
Phil.

It's probably the splicings all falling apart, so the tape snippets have to be restored with adhesive foil again. (Razor blade cuts)

-Kristian

Thanks for all the links everybody. Some good reading there. Still not sure how to lube a tape though without baking. The whole baking process kind of scares me. What I would like to find is a really good lubricant to apply to my erase head since this is where the squealing comes from. It's also I suspect a tension issue as well because after bringing in an old reel to reel for repair at a Teac service center the squealing stopped.
Phil.

Thanks for all the links everybody. Some good reading there. Still not sure how to lube a tape though without baking. The whole baking process kind of scares me. What I would like to find is a really good lubricant to apply to my erase head since this is where the squealing comes from. It's also I suspect a tension issue as well because after bringing in an old reel to reel for repair at a Teac service center the squealing stopped.
Phil.

you're welcome :)

agreed, it does sound like the tensions causing the squealing (or at least a contributing factor) (y)

Just voted on this after my third time through it, but didnt need more than one, really. This got a 9 from me. It is just simply good. Great classic album and a great 5.1 mix. It has been a favorite of mine for many years and am very happy to have this in hi rez surround.

A ‘7’ for me. I enjoy the material but am not particularly impressed with the overall fidelity or the mix on the live tracks.

Back