Cher & Motley Crue DVDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Okay, Cher and Motley Crue in the same thread? Yeah, I know, freaky, and neither act is really my cup o' tea. However, as I was scanning through a batch of music DVDs at Target, I couldn't help but notice that Motley Crue's "Greatest Video Hits" and Cher's "Video Hits Collection" both had been remixed for 5.1 surround. Even that wouldn't have been enough to make me bite, since so many of these types of DVDs have fake surround mixes, but at $9.99 a pop, I decided to take a chance.

The gamble paid off. Both of these offer surprisingly good surround-sound mixes. The surround quality of the Cher DVD is spotty, but even the worst case mixes are quite good. The best mix, IMO, is "Half-Breed", which really blew me away since it is the oldest video in the collection. They obviously went back to the original multi-tracks and produced an exceptional surround-sound mix.

The Motley Crue DVD is more consistent and doesn't have the variability in surround mixes that I found on the Cher DVD. By the same token, it doesn't rise to the level that can be found on the Cher DVD either. Still, it is quite enjoyable and the mixes were obviously done from the multitracks.

A couple of iffy artists, but both of these discs offer a very enjoyable surround-sound experience. The production quality for each is extremely good and I'm glad I picked these up.

Thanks for the heads up on the Cher. I was wondering if it was actually a remix or just the standard repurpose. I will have to pick it up.

I have had the Motley Cyre disc for quite a while now and I think they did a pretty nice job with the remix. This is also one of those albums that was supposed to be out in DVD-A quite a while back. That would been nice but I guess you just have to be grateful for anything in true surround at all these days

I've had the Crue disc for awhile now & just decided to give it a listen. Noticed it sounded very thin & odd so I created flac files for a few of the songs with DVD-A Explorer and Audacity. When loading the files in Audacity it showed a LFE track, but with absolutely NO info... for any of the songs, flatline.

Back