Teac A-3440

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I just purchased a Teac A-3440 off of ebay. I cued up a quad reel on it, and no sound comes out of the unit, at all, except for a hum when in sync mode. I have jumpers in the input/output sections for dbx encoding and decoding, since I won't be using that, so that should be bypassed. I have the outputs turned up. I have it in playback mode. No matter what I do, the tape moves, the thing turns on, but no audio will playback, and the meters won't move, not in playback or sync mode. Is there some funky setting this thing requires to work, or is this DOA?

ArmyOfQuad said:
I just purchased a Teac A-3440 off of ebay. I cued up a quad reel on it, and no sound comes out of the unit, at all, except for a hum when in sync mode. I have jumpers in the input/output sections for dbx encoding and decoding, since I won't be using that, so that should be bypassed. I have the outputs turned up. I have it in playback mode. No matter what I do, the tape moves, the thing turns on, but no audio will playback, and the meters won't move, not in playback or sync mode. Is there some funky setting this thing requires to work, or is this DOA?

The first thing I'd do is check on the status of the tape you put on the machine to test it out and see if any portion has been erased. It's possible that the deck is locked in record mode despite switches & knob positions that would indicate otherwise. I had a similar problem with a deck many years ago - no audio output (was monitoring record INPUT) except for the hum caused by the open inputs. The record/play switch was broken and was locked in record mode despite the abscence of the record lamps being lit - would also explain the normal operation on everything else. Put in a tape that you can record on and test with some input (line or mic) and check for meter deflection. Do not put in another pre-recorded tape until you check out this possibility.
Many circuits are activated/switched by the main play/record switch. a good contact cleaning for this switch is a must for proper operation. Hope your tape is OK. :phones

Thanks for the pointer. I did check to see if I got levels from the inputs of the deck, and when sending audio to the deck and putting in record mode, nothing. So, this unit doesn't pass any audio at all, so there is something seriously wrong with it. The ebay seller pulled a "this thing is tested, this thing is fully working, yes, it's tested, it works, everything in it works......oh, by the way, it's sold as is". Apparently adding as-is to the end of an auction allows you to say whatever you want about the condition of the item, and not have to take any responsibility if it isn't actually in that condition. Ebay is getting worse and worse it seems. Anyways, I'm currently looking into different options for having this thing repaired/restored.

Many people selling vintage electronic audio equipment are selling stuff they know nothing about. Turn it on and see if smoke comes out. If not, it must work OK. The use of "as is" can also protect the seller with a coveted 100% feedback rating from unscrupulous buyers that will insist on audiophile perfection from antique equipment and backmail sellers on expensive overhauls to keep their feedback 100% positive - so it can work both ways.
Glad to hear your tape is OK. Good luck on the repairs/restorations - a good 4 channel deck is an important pillar of a complete quad system.

Hello,

I have a rather poor copy of the A-3440 Teac service manual. If you want, I will try to make a copy of it and mail it to you.
Please let me know.

MTGC (Michael)

I used a 3440 years ago, forgot the details. Start with the basics; does the tape play on another machine okay? Have you tried a diff tape with this machine? If you have meters moving, have you tried headphones?

Is there a monitor Tape/Source switch? In the wrong position there'd be no output, not sure about meter action.

Check over all switches and connections before declaring it to have a problem....

Sync mode was provided for playing back 1-3 tracks while recording on a 4th.

Hi, I own a A3340S Deck, which is the one before the 3440. On my 3340 deck, there is a jumper plug on the rear of my unit for a remote control. If this plug is pulled many fuctions cease to work, but I'm kind of thinking that it only applied to transport functions. I'm not sure about the features on a 3440.

In regards to your ebay seller, regardless of what he "stated, or claimed (As is)" he sold you a DOA unit.

I'd definitely ask him to refund your money. If not, definitely give him appropriate feedback. If he's an A-Hole, he most like will return the favor to you, but I wouldn't worry about it, it's common with low life sellers, and you can rebute his negative claiming he stiffed you with a DOA unit. Certainly won't look good for his future sales. Mark

Back