Pioneer DV-578 Firmware upgrade

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I upgraded my firmware on the 578 to v2.09. Check your firmware version:
Home Menu -> Initial Settings -> Options then press the display button.
There has been some experience that players with version 2.05 will not accept this 2.09 upgrade.

You can get the 2.09 firmware here:
http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/575-V2.09.zip.
There are instructions in the zip file. Burn the Nero Image file to cd. MagicISO is free burning software that handles Nero Image files. It will convert it into a BIN file. It is available here:
http://www.magiciso.com/

The firmware is for the 575 but it worked on my 578a. Follow the instructions exactly. If you have a power failure during the upgrade process your player will most likely become useless.

I gave my 578A to a very good friend so they would have Multi-Channel. I had a brand new one in the box ready to be flashed, so went to work on it.

This is what I found. The Pioneer zip file from the previous post worked perfectly when I flashed my unit a couple of years ago. It had I believe, version 1.xx firmware originally.

Now today's unit had 2.0.5 and played Sting's "Brand New Day" DVD-A copy from my collection perfectly, but would not play Talking Heads as usual. So with much trepidation I burned the disc as before with "B4BA2096.BIN" and disc name "PIONEER" as for the 1.xx firmware. Got disc could not be read message.

So I changed the file name to as what was suggested with file renamed "B4EA2096.BIN" and disc name "PIONEER" and this time it worked with disc getting spit out and "loading" message. After less than 5 minutes it worked (was now 2.0.9) and played a T.H. DVD-A, except now it was outputting in PAL with a black and whitish image. Perhaps there was a way to change the settings to NTSC, but did not try too hard. I briefly looked through the menu. So just for the hell of it I put in the first disc that would not work with firmware 2.0.5, that had the file "B4BA2096.BIN." It flashed the same as with the disc with the changed file name. The 578A now works perfect and the same as the old unit. It is still 2.0.9.

For some reason 2.0.5 firmware does not like the 2.0.9 software as downloaded, but there are ways to make it work.

FYI: If you use the UK file on a US 578A, you will run into exactly what OQG describes. Make 2 CDs, one as per directions, and one with the changes detailed above (renane the file). Run the renamed file disc and after the update you'll get the PAL output, rolling B&W image on your TV/Monitor. Now run the original disc with the original filename and you're back to normal.

Go figure! Good job by OQG figuring this out.

The 578A seems to play SACD-R so far. I've been playing a stereo SACD-R, have not tried MC yet. But there were adjustments to file name again in order for "upgrade" to work on this unit.

First I started here, (thanks for link): http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

There is a folder for Pioneer and in that folder is another titled "DV-578A" with a file name: B4EA2106.BIN. Burned as a Data CD with PIONEER as the title for this disc as with the others. Didn't recognize disc.

So, tried again with PIONEER as the name of disc except burned the .BIN file with a changed name that I knew would work B4BA2096.BIN. Loaded disc and got the "Press play to upgrade" and did so. Disc spit out immediately with a "LOADING" message on DVD player and "Upgrading" message on TV screen. After about 3 minutes TV went black for a second, then familiar Pioneer logo still there. Works! So far so good.

I'll report back when MC SACD-R works.

EDIT:

Got Multi-Channel SACD-R to work fine, but first had to change all the settings back to 5.1. Also turned "Downmix" off and Dolby & DTS to output as PCM with digital out off for set-up with Sansui QRX-6500 and extra center speaker using the RCA outs of Pioneer 578A.

And now for the Bad news...

After hitting "Home Menu" on Pioneer 578A then scrolling to "Options" and pressing "Display" on the remote we're back to Region 1 with version 2.0.5.

Would play watermarked DVD-A copy. Would NOT play Talking heads disc or Region 3 Japanese DVD-V. But it does play both Stereo and MC SACD-R fine.

This is the 2.0.9 file originally meant for the DV-575 UK model that made the Talking Heads disc work along with ignoring the DVD-A Watermark, although we did have issues (read this thread).

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/575-V2.09.zip

EDIT:

BTW to burn this no need for "MagicISO" or Nero. Just change file "DV575NEROIMAGE.nrg" to "DV575NEROIMAGE.iso" and burn as ISO with ImgBurn to a CD. You will have file named B4BA2096.BIN on disc.

EDIT 2:

A "shot in the dark" guess is this: If unit already has 2.0.9 installed and if what made the SACD-R work for 2.0.5 could be added to 2.0.9, then perhaps we would have it all. But first one would need to "flash" back to 2.0.9 or make sure unit has it already installed.

Good News!

Figured out now how to get the Pioneer 578A to play watermarked DVD-A, Talking Heads discs and SACD-R playback with existing software from Soundforge (note DL file date version was 11-23-11 here). Also, please note from previous posts how I went from 2.0.9 to 2.0.5 with SACD-R playback. Instructions: we are starting with SACD-R playback and 2.0.5 software on Pioneer 578A.

Go into "Pioneer" folder and select DV-575A folder and simply rename .BIN file to "B4EA2096.BIN" and burn Data CD with "PIONEER" name. You should get usual “Press play” to upgrade notice on screen. After upgrade pressed "Home Menu," then scrolled to "Options" and pressed "Display" on the remote to see what we had. We still have Region 1, but now with version 2.1.3 software.

We're also still in NTSC mode. Had no "PAL" problems going from 2.0.9 to SACD-R version of 2.0.5 to DV-575A 2.1.3 from renamed file. Note: This Pioneer 578A originally had factory software version 1.x.x and not factory 2.0.5 version. I gave away 578A unit that originally had factory 2.0.5 and have not had opportunity to test it yet, so not sure if this matters or not. Started with NTSC 2.0.9 "region free" capability and remained in Region 1 NTSC after the 2 flashes with SACD-R version of 2.0.5 from "578A folder" changed to "B4BA2096.BIN" and then to 2.1.3 from renamed file from "DV-575A folder" change to "B4EA2096.BIN" from their original SACD-R download file names.

You will need to change your settings again in the "Home Menu" to 5.1 and Dolby/DTS to "PCM Out" for Multi-Channel playback with RCA cabels.

Don't know if one can go from 2.0.9 to 2.1.3 and skip the process I went through changing the file name in the Pioneer 578A SACD-R folder to "B4BA2096.BIN" and going back to 2.0.5, but this path works.

Last edited:
Just one word of caution and reminder. This was done with a 578A that originally came with factory presets of 1.x.x. DO NOT try this on any other unit than the U.S. 578A. DO NOT try this on the Pioneer 575A as that unit although similar, is a different type of player. Also, use any flash with much caution and at your own risk! Thanks.

My 578 has stopped reading a couple of SACDs in surround, Tommy and Machine Head. Other SACDs work. I applied the firmware upgrade months ago. This is a brand new deal. Anyone else running into this?

Hi, I'm from Brazil and my english is very poor ok.
I have a Pio 578A with 2.10 firmware and region free. It doesn't play SACD (stereo ou MC).

Someone can help me? I think it's possible to go to 2.05 and than use the sourceforce bin firmware. Or I must try the surceforce .bin at once.

What do you think??

Hi, I'm from Brazil and my english is very poor ok.
I have a Pio 578A with 2.10 firmware and region free. It doesn't play SACD (stereo ou MC).

Someone can help me? I think it's possible to go to 2.05 and than use the sourceforce bin firmware. Or I must try the surceforce .bin at once.

What do you think??

I would be VERY careful when flashing any unit and the above instructions are only for U.S. 578A models - and even then one's results might not work the same.

Do Not do the above instructions for 578A with a 575 (European model) even though they are similar. I've heard that SACD-R would work on such units, but regular SACD playback quit working. I don't know if this is true for all U.S. models, I only know when I tried regular SACD with the particular disc I had it worked. There is as I understand it, a "Flash" for the 575, but I don't know what the results would be as I don't own a 575.

In your situation, I'm not sure if SACD playback is possible? I've heard that some of these units shipped to certain countries do not play SACD? I'm not sure if that's correct though.

Flashing these units are an experiment and one's results might vary. If one is not prepared to possibly lose the unit completely and one is happy with what they have, I don't recommend any flashing at all. Especially if your DVD-A/SACD player is the only one you have. One might be better off buying another, different player, and and try flashing that.

At any rate, if you do flash, let us know what happened one way or the other.

Here's an update, for the sake of posterity...

I just picked up a DV-578A, which came with the following settings: Region 1, ROM 2.05.

After reading through this thread, and distilling the upgrade steps that were previously undertaken by Old Quad Guy, I decided to refine things slightly, since I was starting with ROM 2.05, and therefore do my upgrade as an experiment. After the .zip package of files from sourceforge, I was able to successfully complete the upgrade in two stages:

1. Ran the upgrade to give me ROM 2.05 with SACD-R capability, using the file B4EA2106.BIN... no re-naming necessary. Smooth upgrade, with no hiccups. Verified the SACD-R capability, and the ROM version number.

2. Ran the upgrade to ROM 2.13 (still with SACD-R capability) by using the file located in the "DV-575A" folder, and changing the name of that file to B4EA2096.BIN... this upgrade also worked, **BUT** my machine defaulted in PAL video output mode immediately upon completing the upgrade. However, even with PAL video output, I was able to feed the player an SACD-R, and verify that it could play it, so that ability was not lost. From the quality of the sound, though, it seemed that the upgrade had also reset some 5.1 sound settings. At this point, I turned off the player, unplugged it, and set it aside for a while, as I tried to figure out what to do next. Obviously, I needed to get into the menus to reset the surround settings, but how to do that when I don't have a PAL television?

Well, after doing some Google research and reading around in the AVS forums, it was mentioned that for some ROM upgrades, the system default for video output is a setting called "Multi-Sync", which apparently allows the player to determine what sort of TV is hooked up to it, and then output the appropriate signal. Figuring I didn't have much to lose, I discovered that there is a procedure to reset the machine to the ROM's default settings. You must use the buttons on the machine face, however-- apparently the remote commands CANNOT do this. In any event, the procedure is:

1. Start with your machine on, and no discs in the drawer.
2. Press the player's "STANDBY/ON" switch. This will appear to turn off the machine (though it's actually putting it in a "standby" mode).
3. Depress and hold the player's "STOP" button (the small square button BELOW the "OPEN/CLOSE" button)
4. While holding down the "STOP" button, press the "STANDBY/ON" switch again to turn the unit back on.

That's it. Upon completing these steps, my unit popped back into displaying NTSC signals (though I suspect that it's now in "Multi-Sync" mode), and I was able to reset the surround settings that needed re-adjustment. And of course, I also verified that it still read SACD-Rs, even after doing this reset procedure.

So, thanks to the collected wisdom of the internet, I am now blissfully enjoying SACD-Rs with ROM 2.13, on this machine that I got for $14.99 .

At this point, I'm leaving well enough alone, but I **do** also wonder if the DVD portion of the player can also now be set to be region-free as a result of one of these upgrades...

- Kevin

Thanks, Jon-- looks like a nice place you've got here... I'll try not to drop any Fritos on the carpet! :D

- Kevin

I picked up a 578 at a Goodwill for $10 and I'm wondering about running a firmware upgrade on it. It's currently set at Region: 1 Rom Version: 1.22 manufacturerd April 2004. So far plays all DVD-A's including the later ones and all SACD's except Bowie's Heathen skips from track 1 to 2 only in M.C. playback which is no big deal to me. Is it worth it to run a firmware up grade and what do I have to gain? I'm fine with it the way it is.

I picked up a 578 at a Goodwill for $10 and I'm wondering about running a firmware upgrade on it. It's currently set at Region: 1 Rom Version: 1.22 manufacturerd April 2004. So far plays all DVD-A's including the later ones and all SACD's except Bowie's Heathen skips from track 1 to 2 only in M.C. playback which is no big deal to me. Is it worth it to run a firmware up grade and what do I have to gain? I'm fine with it the way it is.

It's been a VERY long time since I used my 578, but I can tell you this:
1. The first time I tried the upgrade, I killed my player because I didn't follow the instructions EXACTLY (see my previous posts in this thread for details), and
2. When I succeeded, it was a HUGE improvement. Seriously a great player after that. Not just for the discs it previously struggled with, but better playback of those with which it did not previously struggle.

It's been a VERY long time since I used my 578, but I can tell you this:
1. The first time I tried the upgrade, I killed my player because I didn't follow the instructions EXACTLY (see my previous posts in this thread for details), and
2. When I succeeded, it was a HUGE improvement. Seriously a great player after that. Not just for the discs it previously struggled with, but better playback of those with which it did not previously struggle.

Could you be more specific about your "Huge Improvement".
My 563 needed a firmware update in order to play the newer DVD-A's, but your claim almost makes it sound like the 578 upgrade improved sound quality which I fine hard to believe.

Could you be more specific about your "Huge Improvement".
My 563 needed a firmware update in order to play the newer DVD-A's, but your claim almost makes it sound like the 578 upgrade improved sound quality which I fine hard to believe.

Fair enough - maybe not an improvement in sound quality so much as playback, but let me give you a specific. There were some DVDAs - one specific example is The Beatles "Love" - that would load fine, and I could navigate the menus without issue, and the disc would play back, but then after some time I would hear a "clicking" noise begin, like someone inside the speaker was snapping his fingers. It was subtle and unpredictable, and it would drive me crazy. The firmware upgrade totally resolved this.

To be clear, "Love" was not the only DVDA that would do this.

So - back to your point - this is more of a playback issue than a sound quality issue. I guess I was using the term "sound quality" to differentiate this problem from loading and navigation issues.

That's my first post on the community, as I have joined today. And I'm a bit ashamed as I'm unearthing soo old topic.

My brief history: I bought a Pioneer DV-563A long long time ago, and it was lost on divorce. And I took more than a decade to start another hi-fi system again. I recently get back my old trusty pair of german Heco Pronto 55 loudspeakers and bought used a Denon AVR-2311CI receiver for a really low price.

And more recently I bought, also used and also budget-priced, a used Pioneer DV-578A. It’s the USA version, as it is zone 1 and 120v.

Well, I have one, and just one, SACD. An old hybrid Pink Floyd. As soon I got the Pioneer connected I powered in on and it started nicely. I connected it to the Denon with both an optical/Toslink cable and an RCA analog cable. Good starting. Before the SACD I played a conventional CD-DA. It played nicely and the overall sound quality seemed very good to me. Checking on Denon display I saw that the digital output was used, with a 2-channel 44.1 kHz PCM signal. Unfortunately, Denon doesn't show word length.

Then I played the SACD. Forgot to mention that is a hybrid one. The first attempt was so-so. That’s because the disc was recognized but as CD-DA. It played the CD-DA layer. I got disappointed of course.

So I ejected it, bounce the player, and tried again. On second attempt voilá, It was recognized as SACD disc!

But, sadly, I checked on Denon receiver, and the sound was been streamed from analog inputs. And I mentioned I plugged a Toslink cable to DVD labeled Toslink input on the receiver, and also the 2-channel stereo analog outputs from the Pioneer on DVD labeled analog stereo 2-channel inputs on Denon. Unfortunately this Denon receiver, despite been a 7.2 one, doesn’t have analog multi-channel inputs.

I have read on this topic from Diyaudio (Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm) - diyAudio) that DV-578A is capable of output a digital stream on SACD playback, but downconverting it to 88.2kHz PCM stream. That’s exactly what I want, as Denon AVR-2311CI is not DSD capable. I just want to try Denon’s internal DAC instead of the Pioneer one.

Second topic: I have checked the firmware version, using the tip described on this topic. The player in on the 2.09 version. Probably the original or previous owner has upgraded it! Well, I also tested on SACD-R. I burn an SACD ISO file into a common DVD-R and tried it. But, unfortunately, the player didn’t accept/recognize it. “No disc” on display. After carefully read of the entire topic I concluded that the 2.09 firmware version should be able to perform this…

Weel, I could (and I want) upgrade to 2.13 version. I have downloaded the SACD-R.zip from Super Audio CD Decoder. My question is: Do I really to downgrade first to 2.05 version to upgrade to 2.13? This doesn’t make sense. And, of course, I prefer to perform just one firmware upgrade operation than two.

Sorry for the long post. Any tip, help or input is appreciated.

Best regards,
Luis Santos

Hi Luis and welcome to the forum. I have no idea what to tell you about upgrading the firmware on your player, but hopefully someone who knows will chime in. Many members check in here only a few times a week or even less, so you might have to wait it out.

I am sure someone here can help you with your question.

Back