HiRez Poll Crowded House - CROWDED HOUSE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Crowded House - CROWDED HOUSE

• Total voters
Please no, it should be remixed from scratch. It could be so much better. Bear in mind that a user called privateuniverse is likely a big Crowded House fan.

Well, to me , it's how as good as a DVD-A gets, sound and navigation -this one is on my top 3...
On BD we wouldn't get extras, but they can keep the navigation (at least update it to 16:9)...but I wouldn't mess with success...

A "more Crowded House in surround" announcement would be sensational news!

I just voted but have had this DVDA since it was first released. Great music and well mixed. Actually I've probably played this more than any other surround release over the years. Starting to think I should have given this a 10... I gave it a 9. Maybe it's a 9.5!

I voted a six, and let me explain.

I've tweaked my setup and levels over the years so that almost everything sounds great on my system. It's based on my position relative to the speakers and the way I like things to sound. Chicago Quadio is a standout. Flaming Lips. Pink Floyd. The Wilson remixes of classic albums.

This one, unfortunately, sounds out of whack on my setup. Some of the things other reviewers really love are off putting to me. I'd like a little more reverb from one channel into another. The bass guitar is just too darn loud, I can't hear some of the other elements over it.

I could almost certainly re-tweak my system to make this sound great, but I'm not going to do that for just one recording.

One of my absolute favorite DVD-As.

Phenomenal album- practically every cut is good. I might occasionally skip a track towards the end, but I can still sit through the first 7 over and over without getting bored.

One of my favorite things about it is that the MLP 5.1 stream starts playing immediately! DVD-A is my favorite of the surround formats, but the menus are often rather clunky and stand in the way of the music.

This was the first disc I heard with the dry center channel vocals- loved it and has become a favorite surround mixing choice ever since.

Interesting to read the comments regarding the mix on "Don't Dream It's Over". I don't take issue with the call and response effect- I'm more of a quad guy so I dug that actually- what bugs me is that Neil Finn's vocal "Hey Now, Hey Now" is totally missing! You can hear him singing along to the backing vocals during that part in the stereo mix. Not sure why they couldn't just leave that in the center with the backing vocals in the rears.

As others have stated "Hole In The River" is a standout, though I think the track most benefiting from 5.1 is "Love You 'Til The Day I Die". I love hearing the sound effects and brass in the rears.

Not sure why I originally voted 9- this is a 10 all the way. (Update 3/21/18: vote changed to 10).

The only thing that bugs me about this disc is seeing this :(
crowded house_sigh.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, I would love to hear Dreamboat Annie and Surf's Up... maybe someday:(

I think a lot of members here would. Who knows if they were actually mixed though? When discussing these unreleased titles we like to think they're all tucked away in some vault ready to go, but the sad truth is a lot of them were probably just planned and not even attempted.

I remember Steelydave posted in another thread that he had spoken to Mike Butcher (who did the quad mix of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid") regarding the unreleased mix of "Sabotage". Butcher said that they attempted one track and gave up due to some technical malfunction. So despite appearing in various unreleased quad lists that mix doesn't actually exist. Makes you wonder how many others we've heard about over the years are nonexistant.

Surf's Up is one of those desper/"dynaquad" encoded LPs- supposedly it wasn't really intended as quad per se but decoding it yields some interesting results. Supposedly the recent AP SACD issues of Surf's Up and Sunflower have secret multichannel layers consisting of the decoded stereo...have yet to hear either (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...f-s-Up-are-stereo-multichannel-with-4-0-mixes). Would have been interesting to hear an actual discrete mix though.

I have the Nautilus & DBX LPs of Dreamboat Annie- running those through the Involve decoder is as good as it gets for me unfortunately. That one really could've been breathtaking if done correctly.

At least we got "Crowded House" :)

I think a lot of members here would. Who knows if they were actually mixed though? When discussing these unreleased titles we like to think they're all tucked away in some vault ready to go, but the sad truth is a lot of them were probably just planned and not even attempted.
At least we got "Crowded House" :)

My take on this is that THEY WERE MADE and are sitting in shelf somewhere...like all of the "Atlantic Records" (Jean-Luc Ponty's "Cosmic Messenger" anyone???? grrrrrrrrrr :nuke ) that are sitting on a shelf waiting for SOMEBODY to release them (let's not even MENTION Goldfrapp's "Black Cherry, et. al.....same thing).. oh well..at least we got the ones we got!

If they would have just mixed the first three Crowded House albums in surround. :howl

My favorite is Temple of Low Men. :banana:

Unfortunately, until those 5.1 remixes become a reality, the next best thing is purchasing those deluxe Crowded House double RBCD reissues which AmazonUK 'blew out' last year at under £6 each [now they're double/triple that price]. I was fortunate to purchase 4 of them at that price and can attest to their unusually high quality.

The bonus discs are uniformly EXCELLENT and the packaging superb.

Example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Temple-Low...&qid=1515991738&sr=1-7&keywords=Crowded+house

For ONCE, the 11 5 star reviews on the AmazonUK website aren't exaggerations. I would strongly suggest for the £13.99 they're charging for Temple of Low Men, find out for yourself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Temple-Low...&qid=1515991738&sr=1-7&keywords=Crowded+house

Thanks for the feedback but I’m not purchasing anything for a few months. The Holiday Break was a financial burden and I just had to purchase that new AV Receiver even though the one I had was only a year old. ?

Thanks for the feedback but I’m not purchasing anything for a few months. The Holiday Break was a financial burden and I just had to purchase that new AV Receiver even though the one I had was only a year old. ?

That's a bummer [your one year old receiver conking out]. Perhaps over time they'll further reduce the pricing of the Crowded House deluxe editions. At least, something to look forward to.

Perhaps over time they'll further reduce the pricing of the Crowded House deluxe editions. At least, something to look forward to.

Or maybe if I stare at the amazon listings long enough and concentrate REALLY hard they'll magically turn into 5.1 :D

Tried that with the Boston SACD, didn't work :(

Or maybe if I stare at the amazon listings long enough and concentrate REALLY hard they'll magically turn into 5.1 :D

Tried that with the Boston SACD, didn't work :(

As with almost every RBCD I listen to, I sit there imagining what it would sound like in surround and IMO, EVERY album, acoustic or otherwise, would definitely benefit from a 5.1 [or better] remix.

Why individual artists are so vehemently opposed [or LAZY*] to realize that a properly executed 5.1 remix 'might' not only revitalize sales of their back catalog, but would, in almost every instance, improve upon the original stereo mix tenfold.

*Couldn't be bothered getting involved with a 5.1 remix because it 'might' take up too much of their precious time and/or 'energy.' :yikes

IMO, if the annual Grammy Awards awarded best 5.1 [or better] remix stature at the actual awards show instead of relegating it to a separate less conspicuous award ceremony, then I think Surround for music would be more mainstream....and competitive!

That's a bummer [your one year old receiver conking out]. Perhaps over time they'll further reduce the pricing of the Crowded House deluxe editions. At least, something to look forward to.

Yeah, I’ll be keeping an eye out to see if they ever drop again.

No. Nothing wrong with my Marantz NR1607. I just wanted 4 Atmos channels. So, I picked up the Denon AVR-X4400H. Best purchase I ever made in a Receiver. I cannot believe the Tone this thing produces. I’m thinking about putting the Marantz up for sale for about $300.00 for someone that may want to try out 5.1.2.

Yeah, I’ll be keeping an eye out to see if they ever drop again.

No. Nothing wrong with my Marantz NR1607. I just wanted 4 Atmos channels. So, I picked up the Denon AVR-X4400H. Best purchase I ever made in a Receiver. I cannot believe to Tone this thing produces. I’m thinking about putting the Marantz up for sale for about $300.00 for someone that may want to try out 5.1.2.

Thanks for that recommendation. I'm presently looking for a NEW Atmos receiver for my bedroom OTHER THAN AN ONKYO!

Is this a fair price? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV...Command.html?search=DENON_AVR_X4400H&skipvs=T

And the fact that it does have a detachable power cord is a BIG plus for me.

Back