HiRez Poll Crowded House - CROWDED HOUSE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Crowded House - CROWDED HOUSE

• Total voters
Ever compared the 24 bit stereo to the MLP stereo? I'd guess they would some about the same but I don't know since the dualdisc omitted the MLP stereo.

I have the DVD-A version and finally got around to playing it last night.

There is no MLP stereo on it either.

When you select the "Advanced Resolution Stereo" option all you get is 2 channel LPCM (which is OK I suppose). No indications as to the bit rate or sampling frequency.

In theory should 24/96 not sound the same whether it's DVD-A (MLP) or DVD-V (LPCM)?

The surround tracks are definitely DVD-A and I'll report on my thoughts when I get around to listening to them.

I thought the stereo was OK, not great.

I have the DVD-A version and finally got around to playing it last night.

There is no MLP stereo on it either.

When you select the "Advanced Resolution Stereo" option all you get is 2 channel LPCM (which is OK I suppose). No indications as to the bit rate or sampling frequency.

In theory should 24/96 not sound the same whether it's DVD-A (MLP) or DVD-V (LPCM)?

The surround tracks are definitely DVD-A and I'll report on my thoughts when I get around to listening to them.

I thought the stereo was OK, not great.

There is indeed no dedicated stereo mix in the Audio_TS.
There is very likely a downmix though.
There is a single group for the 5.1 streams at 24/96, there are an additional 3 Video groups.
24/96 LPCM is identical to 24/96 MLP/PPCM.

I have had this one for a couple of years and hadn't paid much attention to it. The only other thing I have by this group is a compilation CD which I often carry in the car and like a lot. Other than the familiar "Don't Dream It's Over", I like the treatment on this DVD-A really well. That big familiar hit song sounds just wrong here, the bass and vocals are preferrable with the stereo CD, which is my only real complaint here, I love this one otherwise. I sure wish Capitol could have done well enough with this to continue on with the catalog, the follow up albums must be even better based on my compilation CD and reviews I have read. Mr. Finn is a master pop song craftsman.

Chris

What can I say? I just loved the album!
I was a fan of Split Enz as well and it was a shame they didn't
do the rest of the catalogue.

I have both the DVD-A and the Dualdisc and don't really hear any difference
between the two.

The mix may only need a few tweaks but overall I'd say it's a 10 for me!

Now if they would have only done some of the Squeeze albums as well...
at least the "Singles: 45's And Under".

-Bob

Does anyone know where to buy this disc in either Dual Disc or DVD-A format? I live in Australia and have never seen it on sale anywhere, and i'm talking about e-bay (International) and other sites as well. Presumably now given how rare it is it would cost a bomb too?? Anyone wanna sell me their's?:brew

Does anyone know where to buy this disc in either Dual Disc or DVD-A format? I live in Australia and have never seen it on sale anywhere, and i'm talking about e-bay (International) and other sites as well. Presumably now given how rare it is it would cost a bomb too?? Anyone wanna sell me their's?:brew

PM sent......hope it helps.

Thanks guys. I have purchased this on e-bay since this thread. Much appreciated advice though. A good disc overall, whereby Neil finn's vocals shine thru. I need to get my arse into gear and write a review and vote. It is my antipodean duty.

Thanks guys. I have purchased this on e-bay since this thread. Much appreciated advice though. A good disc overall, whereby Neil finn's vocals shine thru. I need to get my arse into gear and write a review and vote. It is my antipodean duty.

Yeah - It's my antipodean duty also!!!! Given that this is the only DVD-A that I'm aware of that can be considered from a New Zealand group!

I remember seeing these guys (I think 1988) at the Wellington Town Hall!! I like the DVD-A, but I personally found the mix not to be true to the original stereo mix in some places (e.g. the rear vocals in Don't Dream it's Over). I can't remember what I voted, but its not perfect for me, but still a great disc.

"The sound of Te Awamutu has a truly sacred ring"

Last edited:
This is a good disc, but as others have mentioned their most popular song got butchered on the multichannel mix! That is just unacceptable. The sound engineer should be ashamed of himself!

Right now this is $5.92. Not sure if it was a mistake and will either end immediately or won't be honored but this is the only place I have posted this so act fast and good luck.

Now looks like its "3 new from $77.77 2 used from $51.77".....

This is a good disc, but as others have mentioned their most popular song got butchered on the multichannel mix! That is just unacceptable. The sound engineer should be ashamed of himself!

What song is that, and what went wrong with it? Just a poor mix or something more serious?

sounds like a matter of opinion to me.

Of course :)

For me the surround mix (of this track in particular) isn't true to the original stereo mix. It's disconcertingly different - maybe I'm just too familiar with the stereo mix?

Of course :)

For me the surround mix (of this track in particular) isn't true to the original stereo mix. It's disconcertingly different - maybe I'm just too familiar with the stereo mix?

I think that, if I had the choice, or if I were upmixing the album, what I would want to see more is the "hey now, hey now" up front, and wrapping around to the rears, filling the room more. the retail isn't awful. it's certainly not, say, putting the first "hey now" in the SR and the second in the SL because they can. :)

I was more reacting to wanting to tar and feather the guy mixing the surround for doing that.

Back