HiRez Poll Crowded House - CROWDED HOUSE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Crowded House - CROWDED HOUSE

• Total voters
...as others have mentioned their most popular song got butchered on the multichannel mix!

I agree. My favourite track on the album sounds so dull in 5.1 - that was a big disappointment for me. The album itself sounds fairly dated, and the mix just doesn't seem very cohesive, nor immersive: it doesn't seem to work as a whole and doesn't fill the space well - a bit like some of the R.E.M. 5.1 mixes. The bass seems a tad over cooked too.

I agree. My favourite track on the album sounds so dull in 5.1 - that was a big disappointment for me. The album itself sounds fairly dated, and the mix just doesn't seem very cohesive, nor immersive: it doesn't seem to work as a whole and doesn't fill the space well - a bit like some of the R.E.M. 5.1 mixes. The bass seems a tad over cooked too.

Couldn't disagree more..............except the "Don't Dream It's Over" chorus Hey Nows seem a lil underwhelming.................I gave it a 10 despite that, because the rest of the Album is fantastic. Was one of my fave albums of all time and groups tooooooo. Not dated at all and totally livens up the album.

Great Great Great Mix...........minus the chorus of one song.

Love me some Neil Finn.............Tim also. :banana:

Absolutely fantastic album, mix and sound quality. Yeah, the mix of "Don't Dream it's Over" deviates a bit from the stereo mix, but I really don't mind at all. It sounds great to my ears. And if I want to hear the original mix, I put on the wonderful extended version from the 12".

The Extended Version is not the original mix :confused:

I can understand being fond of the surround mix if you particularly enjoy the 12".

A couple of extra responses having read through the thread:

1) I am currently using a Denon player and I've had no drop out problems with the Dualdisc.

2) The lead vocals are not isolated to the centre channel in general terms as they are also in the stereo pair, but maybe people mean the vocals in the centre channel are clean? I may be misunderstanding.

I find it a little more subdued than the standard stereo mix. It seems to be a full blown remix (presumably with edits), rather than just edited to be extended. There are characteristics of it that are apparent in the surround mix, such some of the accentuated percussion, and the glass harmonica sounding thing. As it turns out, I got to play it 2 weeks ago in a friendly amateur DJ competition. Aside from World Where You Live, CH didn't do any other 12" mixes, am I right?

Ah, I didn't know the Finn mixes of Weather With You were really different. The UK had a single version that's edited differently to the LP version - at least one chorus amongst the verses, and there's a clean version of Four Seasons in One Day, which is a different mix, but I can only recall it being on a UK Now That's What I Call Music album...

nah was looking for the maxi single mentioned bright side for the one song mentioned...........that is the one i can not find. I already have the dvd-a

Thank you though

Hey Snood, here's one of the 4 remixes from that MCD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KU6zIMgzgE

The others sound more or less the same, just minor differences and cuts.

That song is just so great, it would take a real effort to mess it up. The remix doesn't measure up to the original, but I like how they went creative with the song's elements.

btw, there's a soundboard recording of a gig from 1991 in London. It's unedited, great sound quality and a fantastic, intimate, personal performance. A real gem with a mostly-acapella version of "Weather With You".

Hey Snood, here's one of the 4 remixes from that MCD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KU6zIMgzgE

The others sound more or less the same, just minor differences and cuts.

That song is just so great, it would take a real effort to mess it up. The remix doesn't measure up to the original, but I like how they went creative with the song's elements.

btw, there's a soundboard recording of a gig from 1991 in London. It's unedited, great sound quality and a fantastic, intimate, personal performance. A real gem with a mostly-acapella version of "Weather With You".

Koo Thanks Bright, Mix was a bit different and I had never heard it. Yeah might order from Discogs.........got one from Germany for lil over 10 bux all together.

I have to check my stash to see if I have that London 91........:banana: Thank You again

BTW I think Neil Finns new CD is out this month?? http://www.amazon.com/Dizzy-Heights...UTF8&qid=1391746124&sr=8-2&keywords=Neil+Finn

Yep in 4 days............I love his Solo stuff & the Finn Bros. albums - I have to admit though, I was not a big fan of either Intriguer or Time on Earth from the "New" Crowded House. I just thought they felt different and not as classic as the 1st 4.

Would love to hear your thoughts on them both

My Crowded House collection is a bit spotty, actually. I have the DVD-A and Woodface, plus the 1991 recording, and the goodbye concert DVD is on my wishlist. I think I listened to the 2007 album once or twice, but ended up not going back to it. So much music in the world, so little time! I dearly love what I've heard from them, so I'll explore more of it for sure. I found this Neil Finn/Paul Kelly live gig that I can't wait to listen to fully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Us3H72U4Q

My Crowded House collection is a bit spotty, actually. I have the DVD-A and Woodface, plus the 1991 recording, and the goodbye concert DVD is on my wishlist. I think I listened to the 2007 album once or twice, but ended up not going back to it. So much music in the world, so little time! I dearly love what I've heard from them, so I'll explore more of it for sure. I found this Neil Finn/Paul Kelly live gig that I can't wait to listen to fully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Us3H72U4Q

I would recommend the Crowded House - Together Alone album (if you haven't heard that). I hadn't really heard it until recently.... :yikes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Together_Alone

Of course - you need to go back to where it all started.....

Crazy Stuff!!!

mn_nz.jpg

Back