HiRez Poll Crow, Sheryl - THE GLOBE SESSIONS [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-a/SACD of Sheryl Crow - THE GLOBE SESSIONS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc! (y) :phones (n)

NOTE: This title has also been released as a DTS CD

There is a poll for the DTS disc. I would assume it has the same mix, so you could check there.

I have the SACD and it sounds fine, not great.

There must be a lot of people at the labels who like this album.
Hi-Rez and/or Surround is such a small market yet this managed to get released on three different formats: SACD, DVD-A and dts.

I can't think of any other release getting the triple treatment. I can think of countless recordings more worthy of this attention.

Very good, but not great. What keeps it from great, IMO is several songs sounding quite similar. There are several standouts: Riverwide, It Don't Hurt and Crash & Burn. They seem to be the most immersive and enjoyable in surround. Mostly because they are not as dense & let more individual instruments be heard around the listening position. My fav is Riverwide.
I guess I like more of her acoustic work and less of the electric guitars.

I didn't like it. The songs were o.k. (didn't know the album before) but the mix sounds dull, as if somebody sucked the life out of it. It will hit ebay soon.

Saw a used one for like five bucks the other day, but it was the dts version. Passed on it.

Rating the DVD-A

I like it. Nice full range fidelity. Nice separation. It's a little muddy but not distracting. Not sure what's with all the negative votes?

Sheryl is kinda dark even though she appears shallow and I think that throws off a lot of people. She's Misunderstood.

It appeals to me though. Will you marry me Sheryl? (I'm not kidding lol)

"I dropped acid on a Saturday night just to see what all the fuss was about...

there goes the neighborhood"

Last edited:
I have both the DTS CD and DVDA.

This gal can wail and plays just fine. I still play one or the other from time to time. No negative thoughts about owning this one.
Love the surround mix as well.

Worthy of a nine at least !
:upthumb

I have both the DTS CD and DVDA.

This gal can wail and plays just fine. I still play one or the other from time to time. No negative thoughts about owning this one.
Love the surround mix as well.

Worthy of a nine at least !
:upthumb

Like many surround discs, I play some tracks from this one only once in a while. But it is a keeper especially given the relative dearth of high-resolution popular surround sound titles.

This is the only place in this or any other universe where Porcupine Tree is more important than Sheryl Crow. It kind of cracks me up.

Has anyone figured out how to rip the DTS-ES 6.1 stream out of this disc? I have the DTS-CD version- ripped it like a regular CD and ran it through DTSParser, which gave me .DTS files with the extra channel encoding intact. The problem is I can't seem to find any program that will decode those and create a 7-channel WAV or FLAC...so far I've tried eac3to through command prompt, AudioMuxer, and Foobar.

I was never crazy about this release...I do really like the opening track (great guitar hook) but my interest wanes from there. The surround mix seems rather tame for a DTS Entertainment title.

For example, there is nothing 100% discrete in the rears during the opening track, "My Favorite Mistake". The fronts contain drums, bass, vocals, guitar, and organ (bass and vocals loudest in the center channel), while the rears contain only guitar and organ with a faint vocal echo. It's not a fake mix, it's just sort of underwhelming...but then again this isn't a particularly dense song, so who knows how much they had to work with.

I may boost the rears a couple dB as they seem rather low and see if that makes any difference.

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 7.55.41 PM.png

Still, I would like to check out what's in that extra channel.

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out how to rip the DTS-ES 6.1 stream out of this disc? I have the DTS-CD version- ripped it like a regular CD and ran it through DTSParser, which gave me .DTS files with the extra channel encoding intact. The problem is I can't seem to find any program that will decode those and create a 7-channel WAV or FLAC...so far I've tried eac3to through command prompt, AudioMuxer, and Foobar.

I was never crazy about this release...I do really like the opening track (great guitar hook) but my interest wanes from there. The surround mix seems rather tame for a DTS Entertainment title.

For example, there is nothing 100% discrete in the rears during the opening track, my "My Favorite Mistake". The fronts contain drums, bass, vocals, guitar, and organ (bass and vocals loudest in the center channel), while the rears contain only guitar and organ with a faint vocal echo. It's not a fake mix, it's just sort of underwhelming...but then again this isn't a particularly dense song, so who knows how much they had to work with.

I may boost the rears a couple dB as they seem rather low and see if that makes any difference.

View attachment 32507

Still, I would like to check out what's in that extra channel.

BTW, this title is also available as a MLP DVD~A.5.1 and does sound significantly better than the DTS disc. https://www.amazon.com/Globe-Sessio.../ref=tmm_dva_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Although, agree, that the 5.1 isn't distinguished in any way! Sounds better in hi res stereo on the DVD~A!

Last edited:
I listened to this yesterday in my Acura TL. It's good, not great. Worth picking up if you can get it cheap the car is not always the best place to lay down a score. I like to use the full range when voting so I'll give it a 7.5 and round it up to an 8

Back