HiRez Poll Barenaked Ladies - MAROON [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Barenaked Ladies - MAROON

• 10: Great Mix, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Fidelity, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc! (y) :phones (n)

Bare Naked Ladies Maroon Front.jpg

Bare Naked Ladies Maroon Back.jpg

Last edited:
Just got this from eBay. I already had "Are Me" and "Everything For Everyone." So, I got this to complete the trilogy.

This music is definitely closer to the "One Week" band we all know and love. Witty lyrics and poppy uptempo songs for the most part.

Hearing this has me yearning for a "Stunt" DVD-Audio reissue.

Picked this up for a snip on e-bay as previously stated witty lyrics and great tunes.

The surround is very discrete.

I also like the last track hidden song by any chance dont know what it is buts a very good song?

Scored this on eBay for $8...wasn't expecting much, but it's a lot of fun! The material is overall pretty catchy (very "2000s"), while the surround mix is one of those mixes where the rears seem to be silent at first, then will suddenly kick in for sound effects, backing vocals, etc. It's very discrete, but maybe a little too front-centric in places for my tastes. Need to listen more, but my vote will be probably in the 7-8 range.

Much like with quad, the lack of available releases during the heyday of DVD-A and SACD led to me buying this, and it ended up being a real surprise.

Growing up in Canada in the 90s, the Barenaked Ladies were inescapable the same way the Guess Who were in the 70s and Rush in the 80s, etc, but by the early 00s I'd really grown out of them, or at least their early stuff, which seemed great in my pre-teen/teen years, but then too goofy by the time i was a 20-something.

So I wasn't expecting much from this album, especially since the singles I'd heard from the previous album to this (One Week, etc.) still seemed too goofy, and a bit like they were trying too hard as well.

Well from beginning to end I loved Maroon, and still do - I think, in fact I like it more now than I did the first time I listened to it. There's some really great pop songcraft at work, and the goofiness is dialled way down to the point of being almost non-existent, and instead is replaced with a really enjoyable kind of quirkiness, and the lyrics are really clever too. I particularly like Conventineers, a song seemingly about a guy finding love in the most mundane of places, a convention held in an airport hotel function room, and Tonight Is The Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel, a song told from the perspective of a driver who's crashed his car and is still in it upside down explaining how he got there. There's a thread of beautiful melancholy that weaves between the more upbeat tracks on the album that suggests to me that the whole band had matured a lot by that point. I think a lot of credit has to be given to Don Was (a great quirk-pop producer if there ever was one) for the sound and style of the album, as it doesn't sound quite like anything they did before or after it.

It's also filled with some great rocking tunes too - the opening track, Too Little Too Late boasts a riff that would make AC/DC proud.

This isn't a quad-style 'something out of every channel all the time' kind of mix, but there's plenty of discrete action in the surrounds, and as sjcorne says, it often pops up unexpectedly. It is somewhat 'front centric' but I never found myself hearing a front-based element and wishing they'd placed it in the rear.

If you can get this cheaply, I couldn't reccomend it much more highly, and I say that as someone who finds the other Barenaked Ladies 5.1 discs pretty boring listens.

Back