Music DVD Poll Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Steely Dan - Two Against Nature"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, content, graphics & Video

• 1 - Complete Waste of Plastic. Avoid.

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & observations.
This is taken from 2 Private concerts at the Sony studios in New York, January 2000

two against.jpg

Last edited:
Steely Dan fans won't be disappointed with this disc. It's just as well done as any Steely Dan product. Some things to note:
1. 5 out of 14 songs are from "Two Against Nature". (Insert your opinion of "Two Against Nature" here.) Personally, I like "Two Against Nature", so I'm digging this.
2. There are interview segments between songs that might annoy some people. Basically, Becker & Fagen are in a poorly-mic'd room sitting on a couch and talking with various members of their (current) band.
3. As is the nature of jazz-influenced music, none of the instrument solos are copied from the original recordings. This is, in my opinion, appropriate for this style, but others may miss the solo in say, "Peg".
4. Awesome band, awesome performance, awesome recording, awesome Elliot Scheiner.
5. Typical Elliot Scheiner/Steely Dan surround mix: horns, background vocals, rhythm guitar in the rears, everything else in the front.
6. DTS layer.
7. Personnel: Ted Baker (piano), Ricky Lawson (drums), Tom Barney (bass), Jon Herington (guitar), Cornelius Bumpus & Chris Potter (saxophones), Michael Leonhart (trumpet), Jim Pugh (trombone), Carolyn Leonhart, Cynthia Calhoun & Victoria Cave (background vocals). Recorded & mixed by Elliot Scheiner & Roger Nichols.

Highly recommended. I gave it a 9.

Paul(y)

Last edited:
This effort was actually one of my first purchases in the MC Video genre.

Aside from the interviews between songs and the fair video quality, the music and the mix is outstanding. I just skip the interviews and jump from song to song.

I rated it a 9. The sound quality alone gave it this rating.

I do recommend this:smokin

The PQ does leave a little to be desired, but not too bad. Audio is excellent, even though Fagen's live singing is a couple notches below the studio releases, but that's no fault of the mix, which is superb. But if you dislike musical content coming from the rears, be forewarned- the backup singers and often the horns are mixed to the rears. I gave it an 8, woulda been 9 but for the video quality.

geez, didn't realize this is so old already! This was one of my 1st music dvd's. (when dvd was new) I remember flipping out on this. I'll bet all my freinds remeber it also, because I used to show off my system with it. ( well before HR) I had it in last week, and had not done so since getting my oppo 93 and the diff. in audio was clear. It is a dvd so PQ is what it is. The DTS version is much better on the oppo. I went to a Dan show a few years ago, and the band was on, but the sound people were all sleeping! When I was 15 I had a "webcor" shitty shit stereo and that's how I can best describe how it sounded. Perhaps it was the hall, that was like a gym, or like I said, there's no excuse's for poor sound quality.

An 8. One of my first, too. I'm a huge Dan fan. Two Against Nature CD/DVD-A is my least favorite of theirs. Don't shoot me. I loved Everything Must Go.

Although the interview are interesting, I would prefer more music instead. I've seen them live several times, including Fagen on the Morph Tour and New York Rock... They don't disappoint. This DVD is no exception. So, despite the technical flaws, this is essential Steely Dan. It has a nice feel. I buy everything they do.

This was one of my 1st music dvd's. (when dvd was new)
A

Since it was one of the first DVD-V releases it was one of the 1st 5 DVD I ever owned.

unfortunately, I do not like the post "Kamakiriad" output, it seems like they are uninspired...but to each his/her own...
The sound, of course is superb , but I was complaining that it wasn't REALLY live, you can see clearly that it was overdubbed in the studio...
so it wasn't LIVE...but at leasts it's SD..
a lukewarm 6 from me....

This is one of the most exceptionally great live dvd's I've ever had the pleasure to listen to!
I gave it a 10.
The mix by Scheiner/Nichols is superb.So few live discs in surround sound this good period.
The 2 against nature tracks are true to the dvda but different 5.1 mixes.
I like the idea this was recorded in a smaller venue (live@Sony Studio NYC).

Hoping this gets reissued in BD some day
Favourite track is BLACK FRIDAY.
The rest of the tunes are no slouch-bring on more of the DAN live in 5.1 anytime soon! PLEASE

No seriously please

My original post got killed!

This is a definite 10
It's live and dts is a showcase for live recordings, this disc is one of my favourite live 5.1's. For me it is in my top live surround picks.
my favourite track is Black Friday.
Although I would have liked more from the first 3 albums , I can't complain.
Provides a good selection fr. 2 against and a excellent mix by Scheiner/Nichols.
I prefer these smaller venues of live 5.1 (Sony Studios NYC) to the larger arena/concert halls.

Hope this gets a BD release some day.

Thanks-derek

The audio content alone is enough for me to vote a 10. The Scheiner/Nichols surround mix is fabulous, the sound clean & dynamic and the band outrageous. Nice selection of new and old Dan tunes, all with spiffy updated arrangements.

It just blows my mind how anybody in their right wits could put interviews between songs on a live disc. Why would I (or anybody) want to listen to the same interview again and again?! We're here for the god damn music.

Sorry. Had to vent. Pet peeve.

I extracted the audio to FLAC, then edited out the interviews. What's left now is one of the greatest 5.1 concert discs I own! :)

A 10 with 2 points removed for that insane interview-meddling, makes this an 8!

It just blows my mind how anybody in their right wits could put interviews between songs on a live disc. Why would I (or anybody) want to listen to the same interview again and again?! We're here for the god damn music.

Sorry. Had to vent. Pet peeve.

I extracted the audio to FLAC, then edited out the interviews. What's left now is one of the greatest 5.1 concert discs I own! :)

A 10 with 2 points removed for that insane interview-meddling, makes this an 8!

I hate interviews in between songs..HOWEVER...at least they made them into chapters on the DVD...I just skip over them when listening/watching....I also have the DVD-A which doesn't contain as many songs...my only complaint about the DVD-V is that it doesn't have Aja on it...I could have finally gotten it in surround..which will never happen now...I'm a sucker for all things Steely Dan or Donald Fagen..

I'm listening to the DVD-V now...it's been awhile...since Aja is my favorite Steely Dan album I love hearing Josie and Peg...but listening to FM again on this DVD-V is a treat..with the great sax...you have Bad Sneakers and Black Friday from Katy Lied...Kid Charlemagne from The Royal Scam...and of course Pretzel Logic from the album of the same name...you have a "sampler" of SD songs on this disc..of course the video sucks...but I use it as an audio disc..with my trusty remote in my hands ready to skip to the next song and bypass the interviews in between...

I think this is an undervalued disc...ranked solely as an audio disc I will give it a 9..the song set is far superior to the DVD-A bearing the same title...the inclusion of Aja would have made this a 10...I was tempted to give it a 10 regardless...I've owned this for a long time...and it laid dormant for years until I got heavily involved in surround sound..this DVD was released almost 15 years ago...look at the price now for a new one here

Listening to this again, after many years and I see that my criteria changes over time. Or that maybe I've changed.
Think I was too harsh..

I was peeved about the whole rerecording in the studio, but, alas...great to hear the classics played by a TIGHT band!

And of course the wonderful "Industry Standard" MCH by none other than ES and Mr. Nichols...

kinda sad that Cornelius is not with us anymore from a a selfish point of view....

Last edited:
Listening to this again, after many years and I see that my criteria changes over time. Or taht maybe I've changed.
Think I was too harsh..

I was peeved about the whole rerecording in the studio, but, alas...great to hear the classics played by a TIGHT band!

And of course the wonderful "Industry Standard" MCH by none other than ES and Mr. Nichols...

kinda sad that Cornelius is not with us anymore from a a selfish point of view....

I totally understand how one feels about some titles and their votes. Especially, when we own so many titles. Sometimes when a title is so good, we tend to nit-pick. Then if a title isn't so good, we scrape around looking for reasons to like it. Odd bunch we are. :)

That said, I've always LOVED all the Steely Dan multi-channel titles. Amazingly polished!

Listening to this again, after many years and I see that my criteria changes over time. Or that maybe I've changed.
Think I was too harsh..

I really don't have a problem with the mini interview/interludes with this DVD as so many do. It gives us a bit of insight to the history of the Dan . (The skip button on the remote works just fine if anyone----not really specific to yu kap, sorry )

Cornelius is a loss alright, yes .indeed. And like you Kap I find I go to this disc from time to time and almost prefer this amazing music title over some of my Fagen/Dan DVDA 'S !!
What a great surround title it is for a Live Performance , few like this exist .

"Black Friday " is my instant listen on this title, good freakin K-Reist does that song rock !!!!!:woopie
The horn/sax section is plenty good throughout this disc, what a tight band .

Love the girls on "Babylon Sisters" all in the rear channels, same process 4 the dtscd and dvda/sacd, btw.

What can one say, other than "I formallly plead for more from Steely Dan or Fagen " They do so well in their respective live performances, we all just gotta have more . And more like this--please .

Back