HiRez Poll Cooder, Ry - BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Ry Cooder - BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB

• Total voters
I didn't realize that I hadn't given this one a vote. Even though it isn't music that I will regularly listen to, I think it is very good music and I gave it a 10 for that but even more so for the excellent extra content. I like DVD-A over SACD because it has a visual component. I always felt that large jackets etc were a part of the vinyl experience which CD never was able to replicate. Buena Vista Social Club did far more than just replicate the vinyl experience. It turned the whole thing into an interactive documentary. Since the album was a collaborative effort, with many people playing on different tracks, there are detailed credits for each track. In addition, there are extensive liner notes for each track which give background on the song, the performers and the recording. I found this to be incredibly helpful as I know almost nothing about Cuban music. If all of that wasn't enough, there is also a video documentary on the disc. If good DVD-As are like digital vinyl, this one is like a digital box set with a 30 page book included. The only down side is that Ry did the surround mix himself, which I think was a mistake. It is a basic three channel theater type mix, with mainly light ambiance in the rears. The good news is that you can also listen to the superior stereo mix in high resolution as you peruse the other features. People making BluRays now should watch/listen to this for inspiration on how to think outside the box.

That didn't prevent the Rolling Stones from serenading Castro a few years ago. Y'know, America is evil and Castro is so cool.

Castro died in 2016 at age 90 so I don't know if the Stones HAVANA MOON tour came before or after his demise. At any rate, Havana Moon is primo Stones so the hell with repressive dictatorships and their restrictive policies on the evils of rock 'n roll. Besides, if you see the Stones lately, they must've made some sort of pact with El Diablo ...... they're living skeletons!

I would not give Ry Cooder to[o] much credit, it is the band that really makes the performance.
I think I get what you mean, but Cooder deserves a shit ton of credit. This album apparently wouldn't have happened, at all, without him.
He saw the need to record this organic, authentic Cuban music before it was too late and took action.
Given the circumstances, I think this disc is simply marvelous.

A story of friendship and exploration:

I voted 9. No "surround wow" here, but a wonderful experience nonetheless.

When I first played mine, Mike, I was completely bowled over by it. Just everything about this release speaks volumes of Ry and his capture of a bye gone era.
I still play it to those who are not aware of it's existence...They mostly agree what a cool album this is. True the surrounds are not overly used but on this rare occasion, I forgive that because of it's content.
In fact just ordered the Blu Ray release:
https://www.discogs.com/Buena-Vista-Social-Club-Buena-Vista-Social-Club/release/8272592

Last edited:
Easy 9
It's not really the same as playing the DVD with screen turned off.
saw them live in London couple of years before Ferrer died, what a band..
surround mix is perfect for the material, puts you slap bang in the band

Have to scratch my head at some of the earlier reviews - depressing?! - and low ratings. Again, like some of the reviews of the DVD-A of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, it's clear that people posting lacklustre reviews had no idea what they were listening to. This is absolutely reference quality, equal to or surpassing the Criterion blu-ray for the sound quality. I've had the CD since it came out and have been a big fan of all these old Buena Vista Social Club releases. The recording was extremely audiophile - even the CD sounds great - and the multichannel mix on the DVD-A ramps it up another twenty notches and puts you right in the middle of the band. It's incredible and immersive in just the right way. I was late to the multichannel game, so I had to pay $150 for my copy - it's almost impossible to find. If any of those negative people still have their DVD-A, they can sell it for a fortune on Discogs and eBay.

Twenty-fifth anniversary:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/arts/music/buena-vista-social-club-anniversary.html(Here's a free reprint if you don't have access to the NYT.) Crazy to hear Isabelia Herrera talk about the album being a "special part of [her] childhood"!

(As usual these days, we get a book and bonus tracks, but the 2000 surround mix is not included.)
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/buena-vista-social-club-25th-anniversary-reissue/
Here's the new "deluxe" edition on Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/buena-vista-social-club-25th-anniversary-edition/1569844173?uo=2And here's a nice "Family Tree" playlist:
https://music.apple.com/us/playlist...cial-club/pl.0974bcabfaff4a2ab32fdec521436ebd

Last edited:
(As usual these days, we get a book and bonus tracks, but the 2000 surround mix is not included.)
Counter to my earlier statement, I am listening to the 2000 surround mix (ripped from the DVD-A) now and loving it.

FWIW, the difference is that, back then, my best MCH was in the CT system which is really a HT system. Now, the better system is in NYC where there is no video.

A six.
Sold mine cause it depressed me.
So many upbeat stuff in the Caribe and they record some of the most depressing ones...
The mix is a "location" mix and it really doesn't translate, to me...
Was very disappointed...
Not sure if you have seen the documentary film, but it might give you a different outlook…as Mr. Baggins says, Ry Cooder deserves a “shit ton” of respect for recognizing and capturing these aging Cuban musicians before it was too late…FWIW I did see Ibrahim Ferrer at Radio City Music Hall back in the day supporting one of his solo records after BVSC, and it was not subdued or depressing - he and the band raised the roof!

A six.
Sold mine cause it depressed me.
So many upbeat stuff in the Caribe and they record some of the most depressing ones...
The mix is a "location" mix and it really doesn't translate, to me...
Was very disappointed...
Astonishing o_O But you've sold yours and can't listen to Chan Chan or Candela again

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/candela-fire.html
Oh well, I suppose I whistle to Abba's disco songs about divorce and death ;)

Back