HiRez Poll Cooder, Ry - BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Ry Cooder - BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this "original" DVD-A. (y) :phones (n)

This came out in the jewel box configuration as one of the first DVD-A discs, then was re-released in the larger case, with a slipcover and a booklet, as shown below.

BVSC Front Large Pack.jpg

BVSC Back Large Pack.jpg

Last edited:
It's pretty good but, ever since I got the DVD of Wim Wenders' movie, I never play the DVD-A (or the CD or the LPs).

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
It's pretty good but, ever since I got the DVD of Wim Wenders' movie, I never play the DVD-A (or the CD or the LPs).

Kal

Kal,

Is this a soundtrack?

:-jon

JonUrban said:
Kal,

Is this a soundtrack?

:-jon

Not by itself. I am referring to the DVD of the film with video. I suppose you could turn off the monitor but I prefer not to. I sometimes do fast-forward through some of the non-musical portions.

Kal

This is very good. The mix puts you in the middle of the studio, as if the musicians are in front of you with minimal instruments at the rear. If you want aggressive mix, don't get this one but if you want a "real" experience, by all means order this one immediately.

The music itself is fun, catchy and certainly danceable. What was striking was how repetitive the lyrics were and how simple the subject matter often is.

A revelation was Chan Chan. My boyfriend loved this track and when I first heard it through his iPod, I had the same feeling that he had - that it was melancholic and sad. But that was before I got the DVD-A and read the liner notes. The liner notes indicated that Chan Chan was a very horny song! Go figure.

fuad

I have just joined your fine club and have voted on all my discs. I was revising my scores (6) when i thought i should have another listen to this one and have found that while the music is good, it lacks the power and weight that i have heard on other DVD-As. I think, on reflection, this is due to the acoustic nature of the music and not the recording. With a little more Sub the disc sounds an 8. :friday:

I bought a copy of 'Buena Vista Social Club' in January of 2002 (my first DVD-A purchase). The first issue of this title, as stated above, came in a CD jewel case, but it also included a slipcase with booklet.

Musically, it's a lovely collection of acoustic Cuban "folk" and dance music, with a helping hand from guitarist extrordinaire Ry Cooder. You can't go wrong with almost anything by Ry.

The 5.1 surround is an ambient "in-the-studio" sort of mix. I normally prefer active -- or downright aggressive -- mixes, but the subtle mix for this title was the correct choice. It lends an airy atmosphere to the percussion and steel string guitars, and the often gorgeous vocals seem to float in space several feet from the front speakers. It's just an overall dreamy, naturalistic sound that works perfectly for this material.

So, an 8 for surround and 10 for fidelity and content. That comes out to about...umm...9 :)

What a sonic treat this disc is !

Very enjoyable music, beautifully recorded and well mixed.

It's like being in a Cuban cafe.

What a lucky find.

I recently acquired this title (thanks to weverb). It's one of those that I had in my hand at Best Buy many times but didn't purchase while it was still in print. As filper says, it is a sonic treat! I find it odd that no one mentioned that there is no center channel in the mix. I cannot comment on the LFE channel because my Subwoofer is in the shop for repairs (I anxiously await it's return sometime next week). Just curious to know if this is 4.0 or 4.1? However it really doesn't matter either way, as the recording and mix are great! Nice booklet, song notes and making of video. Glad to add this to my collection after all these years.

Dennis

A six.
Sold mine cause it depressed me.
So many upbeat stuff in the Caribe and they record some of the most depressing ones...
The mix is a "location" mix and it really doesn't translate, to me...
Was very disappointed...

I voted 8. The performance is a 10. 14 long tracks of Cuban delight are all beautiful. I would not give Ry Cooder to much credit, it is the band that really makes the performance.
The 8 is based on a DVD-A that at best has ambient rears and a almost non existent center channel. I can only imagine that the performers could care less about 5.1, because they nailed it on there performance.

I voted 8. The performance is a 10. 14 long tracks of Cuban delight are all beautiful. I would not give Ry Cooder to much credit, it is the band that really makes the performance.
The 8 is based on a DVD-A that at best has ambient rears and a almost non existent center channel. I can only imagine that the performers could care less about 5.1, because they nailed it on there performance.

An excellent, DVD~A, Markie and if you're interested, Criterion is releasing the Buena Vista Social Club movie [DTS HD MA 5.1] in three months: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Buena-Vista-Social-Club-Blu-ray/103025/ :banana:

Yeah, this - from what I recall - is an in the room, but not amongst the musicians, kind of mix. I sold mine on to raise funds for something else. The sound quality was nice, IIRC, but by no means a hard panned to the rears mix (and maybe that wouldn't have worked, who knows?). My initial instinct is to aim for five based mostly on the mix, and I didn't love the music, but that feels a little low, and I made the mistake of looking at the other vote scores and I'm feeling the peer pressure not to be the lowest!

I actually saw them (the surviving ones, plus others, I guess) perform live in the UK some years back. The double bass player was walked on, and from what I could see/can recall he stood up for his time on the stage! It appeared to be Cuban law that if you were not playing your instrument you needed to be dancing. Good gig.

...The double bass player was walked on, and from what I could see/can recall he stood up for his time on the stage! It appeared to be Cuban law that if you were not playing your instrument you needed to be dancing. Good gig.

Yeah, it's in our DNA...even if your body aches, you HAVE to DANCE!!!!
(I know cause I'm from the Caribbean- grew up over there too til I went to college in my early 20s... it doesn't matter how "safely" I try to dance , Spaniards always ask me if I'm "Caribeño"...)

Yeah, it's in our DNA...even if your body aches, you HAVE to DANCE!!!!
(I know cause I'm from the Caribbean- grew up over there too til I went to college in my early 20s... it doesn't matter how "safely" I try to dance , Spaniards always ask me if I'm "Caribeño"...)

That made me smile.

In my setup i'm hearing percussion and vocals in the rear and vocals and guitar in the front[on track 3] like the band's all around you[not at all ambient].

Back