DSotM underground DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Monkey

Anybody know the story on this? The real deal, or a hoax made from an existing public source?

Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
(limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.
Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.
The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to
whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.
It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release
The disc will play on all DVD players, as it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC, AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWNSAMPLING, AND WILL REDUCE THE LISTENING PLEASURE FOR OTHERS.

I'm assuming that it's OK to discuss this here (without sharing links, etc.), if not, my apologies.

I've got it from a <swarm system> and listened to it on a Denon DVDA player at a friend's place. I think it's simply incredible.
This disc is the main reason i'm going to buy a DVDA capable player.

We can discuss this disc as much as you like in this thread and in the forum. However, please keep all trading, swapping, etc. out of the forum and in your PMs. Although this is a disc that should have been made available through proper channels by the record companies, I don't want to turn this place into a bootleggers domain. What you all do in your Private Messages is your business.

THANKS! :D

This disc is very worth a listen. For me personally, it is THE highlight of being 'only' about 5 years into multichannel audio.
A big thanks to the couple who was incolved into making this happe.

(Enough Sat night ramblinbg ... hehe ...)
Kind regards,
Andreas

Beer Monkey said:
The real deal, or a hoax made from an existing public source?
As far as I know it's the real deal, must be a copy from (a) master tape and probably re-mastered for DVD-A, which is incredible. This is the famous Alan Parsons quad-mix, even if you like Pink Floyd just a little, try to get this disc.

The SACD IMO is better in "clean up of sound", especialy the drums, but this surround mix blows it out of the water.

After having some 'technical difficulties', I got things sorted out..

My, this was worth the learning curve..:)

Sound quality is better than I expected - and on a par with the SACD..

But the mix - fabulous - guess my multiple SACD copies will be getting a rest..

Also thanks to who ever went to the all the effort to do this..

Forgive my noobie question. I am playing this tonight, and it's fantastic. But I'm not hearing any bass. My main speakers normally have fantastic bass. It sounds like they filtered out the bass from the four main channels and sent it all to the .1 channel. Is this correct? Is this normal for DVD audio discs? I guess that I need a subwoofer. I tried the DTS and DD tracks, but they both cut out after a minute or so, the hirez track is the only one that plays all the way through for me.

Apologies for my gross incompetence but my 'technical difficulties" appear to be unsurmountable - close but no banana:confused: (sorry Andreas)

If anyone can pm me with a way to get a copy I'd be most appreciative:)

Cheers

Martin

I've checked many places I know or I'm subscribed to, but couldn't find a way to get it... I would also love a PM then ! Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Don C said:
Forgive my noobie question. I am playing this tonight, and it's fantastic. But I'm not hearing any bass. My main speakers normally have fantastic bass. It sounds like they filtered out the bass from the four main channels and sent it all to the .1 channel. Is this correct? Is this normal for DVD audio discs? I guess that I need a subwoofer. I tried the DTS and DD tracks, but they both cut out after a minute or so, the hirez track is the only one that plays all the way through for me.

Adding a sub is really the way to go - especially for movies

On my processor, I am able to tell it if you don't have a sub and it will route the .1 track back to the 2 main front speakers..

I had to do this once when my sub was in for repair - but be careful - on some soundtracks I was worried that the speakers would get damaged..so I raised the crossover point..

Don C said:
[.....] But I'm not hearing any bass. My main speakers normally have fantastic bass. It sounds like they filtered out the bass from the four main channels and sent it all to the .1 channel. Is this correct? Is this normal for DVD audio discs? I guess that I need a subwoofer. [....]
If your equipment is configured correctly (no SW present), shouldn't the .1 channel be mixed into the other channels?

Well I have set the speaker settings to large, and selected none for the subwoofer, for both the player and processor setup. The player is a Denon DVD-1920, the processor is a Sherwood AVP-9080. The processor is in six channel direct mode, which is normal for SACD and DVD-A. I don't think that it can combine the bass from the .1 channel in this mode. No digital processing takes place in the unit unless you select a two channel source with a surround mode selected, or a digital source.
No problems with bass on the few other DVD-As that I have, Brothers in Arms for example, comes through full range.

Back