Quad LP/Tape Poll War: The World Is A Ghetto [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate The World Is A Ghetto

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 1 7.1%

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 9 64.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
Finally got my hands on this one. I gave it an 8. It's a nice mix, though I was never a fan of putting the vocal in all four speakers. You definitely get all the percussion elements thrown to the corners on "Cisco Kid".

I think a D-V two-fer with this title and Deliver The Word would be phenomenal!

Last edited:
This one has eluded me for a while since it was a Q8-only release, but I finally received the tape today (White cart) and transferred it to DTS. Probably the most luck I've had with a used 8-track to date...new pad/spice and it actually started from the beginning.

Pretty good quad mix overall, with some cool four-corner discrete action in "Cisco Kid", though I was never a fan of putting the vocal in all four speakers and that does kind of spoil it a little. The sound quality wasn't bad compared to some other Q8s I've transferred recently (most Columbia ones I have sound awful, especially Chase), though I am curious about the gold cart version after reading through this thread.

I'd say it's an 8, but as with most quad mixes a high-resolution transfer from the master tapes would work wonders.

Could a Vocalion double SACD with this and "Deliver The Word" be possible??? This recent batch with the two Pure Prairie League albums makes me think anything can happen...

I'd love to see WAR come to Vocallion! :banana:

War's management/artist relationship was through their producer, Jerry Goldstein, which is why, after UA, their music has appeared on several indie labels. This would be a great title for a nice transfer to hi-rez, not sure who or what you'd have to contact to offer up the suggestion. War's quad would do Ok as reissues, I should think.

ED :)

Voted 8 for this as well.

This is another one of those titles where it feels a bit underwhelming the first couple of tracks, because it's not mixed in the same discrete 4-corners style as CBS did their quads, but for me it really takes off with the third track, City, Country, City - a 13 minute instrumental jam.

The mix on this one reminds me of The Guess Who's Rockin' - lead vocals and bass guitar in all 4 speakers simultaneously, but the remainder of the elements spread discretely around the soundfield. I would've much preferred both of those things in front center position, but I'll live with it as it is since my time machine isn't functioning right now so I can't go back to 1973 and warn them of the mild criticism their mixing choices might receive 40 years later.

It's been mentioned in the previous pages of this thread, but if you're looking for the best-sounding version of this tape, the U/A Canada gold shell versions (which were first issued in November '73 and then reissued as even better sounding Dolby-encoded tapes in April/May '74) are the ones to seek out.

Back