Comments Inspired by Fagen, Donald - MORPH THE CAT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sbernstein said:
What are the specs on this DVD-A?

I haven't bought it yet, but I looked at it at Best Buy. Like most good product, the specs are on the outside: DTS and 96/24 DVDA. Just like the other Steely Dan discs.

Is that what you were wondering?

Paul

elmer said:
As far as the music is concerned, this is Donald Fagen/Steely Dan territory no doubt - the lyrics are a real treat and bear your attention - dark, funny, even touching at moments.

I read a local interview with Donald Fagen (he played in Toronto last night) and he stated that he saw this album as the end of the trilogy began with "Nightfly". Saw the three albums as symbolizing birth/mid-life/death...
Guess this makes Morph The Cat - death...YIKES!

dr. simple said:
DTS and 96/24 DVDA. Just like the other Steely Dan discs.
The 'Everything must go' DVD-A has an excellent 192/24 stereo track!!

Cheers,
Frank

What's the packaging on this? I've seen the standard CD, and last night saw a single CD jewel case that had "5.1 surround sound" above the title. The sticky seal on the top of the disc said CD & DVD-A; the back cover had track listings marked CD and a mention of a DVD program (not listed) and the resolution specs for the DVD. Also, the little sticker on the cover plugging the single said CD & DVD Audio.

However, the area inside the front spine had the words to the effect "This disc is a DVD and will not play in CD players;" it was a single jewel case with no indication that there were two discs within (and it didn't feel quite heavy enough to be two); and neither the CD or DualDisc logos appeared anywhere on the package (the DVD, DVD-A, DTS, and Dolby Digital logos all did). The price was in line with the Warners two-disc CD/DVD-A sets, like REM or Clapton, but it didn't come in the same kind of package.

So, did I see the double-disc set? Or is Warner also releasing a DVD-A only version in a standard jewel case? What should I be looking for if I want the double?

This kind of confusing and inconsistent marketing is indicative of why the format is on life support.

I think someone already pointed this out but....
The version with "5.1 Surround Mix" written above the title contains two discs. One standard CD and one DVD-A. Not sure yet if there is any video on it yet.

Perhaps the cover was being set for a single DVD-A release and they changed their mind?

splinter7 said:
The version with "5.1 Surround Mix" written above the title contains two discs. One standard CD and one DVD-A. Not sure yet if there is any video on it yet.

Perhaps the cover was being set for a single DVD-A release and they changed their mind?

No video, just the album in 5.1

Not here, but it is on the poll page.

That's the one I saw. Still say it's confusing - the spine says it will not play in CD players, the specs say DVD players, and the CD logo does not appear anywhere. The marketing department was seriously asleep at the switch. The format is moribund, and ineptitude like this won't bring it back.

That said, I'll be scoring a copy as soon as I can. (I would have last night, but...)

I agree with radiodaddy and splinter7:
Some people at the record company have been sleeping. It seems like they've prepared a CD version, a DVD-Audio version and late in the process decided to have a two-disc version (I was going to say Dual Disc but then realized that would add to the confusion) but mixed up the artwork for the different editions.

This mix is tight ! with plenty of BASS . I cant get the DTS mix on my 563A themenue only shows Advanced Resolution 5.1 and the stereo mix ? am I missing some setting on the Pioneer ??

Nova said:
This mix is tight ! with plenty of BASS . I cant get the DTS mix on my 563A themenue only shows Advanced Resolution 5.1 and the stereo mix ? am I missing some setting on the Pioneer ??
If i recall, you can go into "initial settings" on the 563 and change the the dvd-audio option to dvd-video which will get you the non-hi-rez surround options (DD and DTS); but you can't see all three surround choices at once. that's how my pio dv45a works, and i think the 563 (and 578) have the same menus. i guess the theory is that when you have the dvd-audio option, why bother choosing either of the others. btw, agree with your assessment on the mix - - i't's another scheiner beauty.

Thanks Barry your right as long as I see the High Res option I should be "happy" I like the fact that you can really crank up this disk and it holds together so well!

Back