HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - MORPH THE CAT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Donald Fagen - MORPH THE CAT

• Total voters
Yes, please report back.

There is a copy locally that's been whispering to me for months, looking for a home ;)

Hi Blair,

It's a sonic treat for sure in HiRes.

Signature Fagen music. Great surround mix.

You might want to pick it up while you can.

Hi Blair,

It's a sonic treat for sure in HiRes.

Signature Fagen music. Great surround mix.

You might want to pick it up while you can.

I second that. This isn't a disc you'll want to pass up. Personally, I think it's my favorite of all three Fagen solo discs, and the mix and fidelity are on par with the other Steely Dan titles (and any Elliot Scheiner mixes).

I second that. This isn't a disc you'll want to pass up. Personally, I think it's my favorite of all three Fagen solo discs, and the mix and fidelity are on par with the other Steely Dan titles (and any Elliot Scheiner mixes).

I agree, this is my favorite of the 3 Fagan discs.
I know many here made a big deal of Kamikiriad, and that one was great as well...
But Morph was just such a joy to listen to and reminded me more of the old Steely Dan material.

Wow. The sound on this is absolutely wonderful! A solid 9 from me. This will be spun even more than Kamakiriad and Nightfly.

(Review of the DTS 96/24 MVI version)

To me, DF/SD groove ended in Kamakiriad, nothing since has moved me as much as that.

1st time I listened to it I was..BOOOORED! 2nd and 3rd time were no improvement. Too much repetition with little substance.

Now , the mix...AHHHHHHHHH.
Another industry standard .
This is how they should be done, olé!

So, a 4 for the music and a 10 for the mix gives it a 6.5 in my book, so a strong...6!!!

Besides, Donnie baby, that SOUR face!!! You're NOT a happy camper are you?

I gave this a 9. It DOES grow on you, like many classic albums. Saw DF at Chicago Theater on this tour and SD w/Michael McDonald later that year. I prefer Nightfly but this one is a winner! Great fidelity, Scheiner mix and some pretty juicy tunes. SD fans have come to expect no less. I have the DVD-A/CD and MVI Nightfly Trilogy. Come to think of it, I've never played the CD. I rarely play the CD side/layer/extra disc of any SACD or DVD-A.

On first listen to Moby Grape's 1st, I questioned why I bought it. Out of over 17,000 albums, it's my all-time fave. Give this DVD-A and/or MVI more time, it will Morph into one of your faves.

Linda
Lounging in my Bright (pink) Nightgown while I write this

Thanks Linda...I WILL listen to this a few more times, if only because of the incredible mix... maybe it's because when I listened to Kamakiriad it blew me away from the 1st time and it's more varied musically thatn his...maybe has more passion...this one I did find too repetitive and ..uninspired..oh well...

Love the Bright Nightgown reference! ;)

Cheers from another Kitty(well, I'm a Leo...and that's how my baby calls me...kitty)
^^
>`´<

Having Gaucho and The Nightfly makes Morph seem a bit weak from the vocals-point-of-view. By the time this album came out (2006) his voice was starting to show the effects of the aging process. And for me DF's voice is the main attraction. The musical production is top-notch, like everything else he's ever done. The voice is just not strong enough.

Your point regarding Mr. Fagen's voice is well taken and I agree that the production on this effort was exceptional. I would only add that for those who are seeking high quality surround, this is well worth considering, if they like the content. I was late to the high resolution surround experience and have great appreciation for those at QQ who've been at it for some time. I didn't care much for the Steely Dan/Fagen sound in my younger days but now find it works for me. I don't have a baseline for his voice so I take each disc as it comes which includes the DVD-A's of Gaucho, The Nightfly, Everything Must Go and Morph. It's an interesting concept, the reaction to a known singers aging voice, and that must surely have a name.

absolutely beautiful surround mix. musically I find it not as strong as Nightfly (which I love), but a 10 from me nonetheless.

absolutely beautiful surround mix. musically I find it not as strong as Nightfly (which I love), but a 10 from me nonetheless.

The real diff. is when you play say - Gaucho then put this in, that was done digitally, it's like opening up the music. Not that Gaucho is bad, it's just older and an analog master.

This is my least favorite album in the original DF trilogy. After 8 plus years I’ve yet to fully warm up to perhaps half the tracks. Yet I would still highly recommend it for what it does deliver. The mix and fidelity are superb as are the band and arrangements. Surround mixes don’t get much better than “Brite Nitegown” (dig that funky 2-part guitar comping in the rears!). “What I Do” is another standout and features some great harmonica by Howard Levy. (BTW when I saw this tour in Chicago Levy came out for a couple of tunes and tore the roof off!) Unfortunately even though exquisitely crafted and executed I’m not a big fan of the middle material (“Pagoda”, “Joan” & “Mona”). I’m not sure why since all three are brimming with Fagen-ness. Things pick up again for me with “Mary” with its infectiously eerie atmosphere. I give it an 8 overall.

Just checked mine. It has a coffee stain, but still rips and plays perfectly - phew!

Of course as this is a poll thread I've added my vote - a 9. Perfect sound, mix and production as usual from a Dan related release. The content, while great is not quite as good in my books as some of his others.

Last edited:
I voted 10. Just finished listening from the DVD-A direct into Sony player. MLP 5.1 surround. Excellent sound quality, surround and I relly like the songs and there different arangements.
I accidentally started with the surround in NeuralX mode adding the heights in faux heights, but switched to direct multi channel in and sounded way better including the 5.1 direct filling the room up to the ceiling, very pleasent.
I actually like this better than Nightfly and I don't own Kamakiriad, very expensive, maybe some day I can get it.
Morph The Cat, highly enjoyable.

I voted 10. Just finished listening from the DVD-A direct into Sony player. MLP 5.1 surround. Excellent sound quality, surround and I relly like the songs and there different arangements.
I accidentally started with the surround in NeuralX mode adding the heights in faux heights, but switched to direct multi channel in and sounded way better including the 5.1 direct filling the room up to the ceiling, very pleasent.
I actually like this better than Nightfly and I don't own Kamakiriad, very expensive, maybe some day I can get it.
Morph The Cat, highly enjoyable.

I like the sq better by a bit but the songs on Nightfly are legendary!

Back