HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - MORPH THE CAT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Donald Fagen - MORPH THE CAT

• Total voters
Chris
If you like Morph your gonna love Kamakiriad ! the sound is mint and the songs are a bit quicker to remember. Morph has not left my player in weeks !
Paul

Really nice mix, great sound, but for me not as good as Kamakiriad was.
There seems to be a definite coffee thing going on too - all sorts of references to coffee, coffee shops (Latte, Starbucks etc) throughout - great as caffeine is one of my favourite drugs. In fact, I'd be useless without it.

You can pick the Scheiner mix almost as soon as you start off in the title track, especialy the horns in the rear speakers.
I suspect this one is a grower too - so my initial 7 may well need revision later - or a new post amending my thoughts.
Very nice record, beautifully recorded, beautifully mixed.

I forgot i had this one. I listened to it a couple of times when i first bought it, then put it away and forgot about it. I wasn't overly impressed with the music the first couple of listenings, but it did sound better to me this time. I wanted to wait til i had heard it a few times before i voted because a lot of the reviews here said it would grow on you. Well it did grow a little on me, but not a lot. The surround mixes are great, but the songs just didn't grow that much on me. Good but not great. I vote 8.

In the midst of my first listening right now. Will wait to vote after hearing that it takes a little getting used to. Steely Dan/Becker/Fagen have always been nice to listen to, but never my favorite. This follows suit and is nice to listen to so far. As has been said earlier, I feel as though I've heard these before. The presentation, mix, sonics and musicianship do seem to be right on taget though. Can't get much better in those dept's IMHO.

Love this DVD-A! Have been spinning it almost every day, sometimes more than once. The stereo CD was played into iTunes and running on that as well.

Has anybody else experienced this issue in Play All mode; it gets to the last track (Morph The Cat - Reprise) and stops? The right graphic is on the screen but the authoring might have stopped at this point....?

I'm giving it a 10 because it's great songs, great mix in the BEST format and I'm excited to have a new almost Steely Dan album AND new DVD-A title that wows friends.... :smokin:

Love this DVD-A! Have been spinning it almost every day, sometimes more than once. The stereo CD was played into iTunes and running on that as well.

Has anybody else experienced this issue in Play All mode; it gets to the last track (Morph The Cat - Reprise) and stops? The right graphic is on the screen but the authoring might have stopped at this point....?

I'm giving it a 10 because it's great songs, great mix in the BEST format and I'm excited to have a new almost Steely Dan album AND new DVD-A title that wows friends.... :smokin:

No problem here. It is a great disc.

Wasn't sure about it when purchasing it and even after first listen, but took the advice of giving it a chance and I'm now finding myself humming and signing these tunes in my head all through the day. The songs and the mix are both excellent and the packaging (a Cd and a DVD-A) can't be beat. A very solid 10+ on this.

This one takes time. The first few listens, I enjoyed the mix but was not that impressed with all of the tunes. However, at this point, I love the frickin' disc. Even the songs I thought were boring now shine. This one is a 10 all the way, but you have to give it time.
Same thing happened to me, although it took about 2 1/2 listens to realize I may actually like this one even more than Nightfly. Great grooves, and melodies and harmonies that reveal themselves more clearly on multiple listens. This one sneaks up on ya.

Is it me, or does "Brite Nitegown" seem tailor-made for Prince? Great swingin' groove on that one with on-the-money, syncopated vocals.

Very nice 5.1 mix - a little on the bright side, compared to the stereo mix, but otherwise on par with the rest of ES's hi-res 5.1 Steely Dan/Fagen mixes.

It's weird how these tunes get into your head. I had a phase a few weeks ago where I had to keep playing "Great Pagoda" and "Mona" over and over. These two tunes I did not appreciate on the first few listens.

Really well recorded really well mixed 'snooze fest' for me.
Not one ill be getting out every day just when i need the sleep.

Last edited:
I'll say it again. All of the Dan and Fagen DVD-audio discs are 10's, and must haves.

The 'Everything must go' DVD-A has an excellent 192/24 stereo track!!

Cheers,
Frank

It does? Not on my copy. It is 96/24 on both stereo and 5.1. At least what's shown on the back of the case.
The UPC on it is 9362-48435-97. Yours?

It does? Not on my copy. It is 96/24 on both stereo and 5.1. At least what's shown on the back of the case.
The UPC on it is 9362-48435-97. Yours?

It's incorrectly labelled.
Both my copies (One Test Pressing, One full DVD-A in SJB) are 24/192 stereo.
The full package states 24/96 on the rear, but a trip through DVD-Audio Explorer reveals it is in fact 24/192.

I'll check that out. I'm unfamiliar with "DVD-Audio Explorer"(?), but when I put the disc in to play and then hit the AUDIO button it states the details. Up till last night I didn't realize I had any discs with the 192/24 stereo tracks (because the cover didn't list the details), but checking Hotel California and Winelight I see I do). The Grover Washington sounds very nice, particularly in a set of good studio monitor cans.
I'd like to see this forum have a place for us to input all of these types of details, to make for a better informed purchase or to just better know what we already have. I'd certainly volunteer to input the information from what I own.

It's incorrectly labelled.
Both my copies (One Test Pressing, One full DVD-A in SJB) are 24/192 stereo.
The full package states 24/96 on the rear, but a trip through DVD-Audio Explorer reveals it is in fact 24/192.

Concur and I have proven so via my JVC sa75 dvd audio player that displays s freq, shows it @ 192. big surprise to me, never thought to check it. Honestly never thought any material was in 192. hurts the dogs ears.

Great album in all respects. I'm such a fan of the older Steely Dan albums that I almost didn't want to like it -- Becker and Fagen never stray far from the trademark sound, and after all these years the songs must surely sound like the same old tired, reworked stuff, right?

On the contrary, it sounds great. Maybe this sound just can't wear itself out on me. I especially like What I Do, Brite Nightgown, and Security Joan, but all the songs on Morph are worthy. I can't make myself say that it's as good as Nightfly, but if I propose a 9.5 rating I can still round up, right? :D

Mark Z

Back