Big Head Todd, Crimes of Passion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquadad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello,
This album should have been titled "Lack of Passion", because that's exactly what you get in this Silverline (un)mixed bag of tunes by Big Head Todd and the Monsters. I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you are a fan of these guys already like I am. The first three or four songs have some ok discrete mixing going on then it drifts around in the usual double stereo that the guys at Silverline are masters of.

One redeeming thing about it is that it decodes rather well through the variomatrix. One interesting thing that I noticed while a-b'ing between the surround mix and the decoding of the stereo mix is that the variomatrix was separating everything out and distributing it in the same layout as the surround mix on the songs where there were actual discrete mixes to begin with. On the songs that are double stereo to begin with, they decoded into decent sounding surround.

Last edited:
I got sucked into buying this as well as I love the band's music. I got rid of it and bought the regular CD. Another crappy Silverline DVd Audio - I should have known better.

Hmmm - glad I took a risk on this one. I'm a moderate fan of BHT&tM - only other album I have is Beautiful World. I learned about them from the Waterboy Soundtrack, I believe.

Anyway, this album sounds fine. Nice dynamics. Full sonic range of the band represented well. Occasionally quite discrete, e.g. track 6 acoustic guitars solidly dedicated to the rears.
Also heard in rears, distinctly: percussion, electric guitar licks, ambience and other stuff.
This does not sound like an upmix. Some tracks don't sound very discrete, like track 1. It still sounds good though. This is not a PoS disc like the Gary Numan one.
I know Silverline has put out some absolute turds. This isn't one, IMO. It isn't amazing. It's pretty good.

Hmmm - glad I took a risk on this one. I'm a moderate fan of BHT&tM - only other album I have is Beautiful World. I learned about them from the Waterboy Soundtrack, I believe.

Anyway, this album sounds fine. Nice dynamics. Full sonic range of the band represented well. Occasionally quite discrete, e.g. track 6 acoustic guitars solidly dedicated to the rears.
Also heard in rears, distinctly: percussion, electric guitar licks, ambience and other stuff.
This does not sound like an upmix. Some tracks don't sound very discrete, like track 1. It still sounds good though. This is not a PoS disc like the Gary Numan one.
I know Silverline has put out some absolute turds. This isn't one, IMO. It isn't amazing. It's pretty good.

Playing it now Mike
Couldn't agree more
Its deff not an up mix!!(y)(y)(y):)

Back