DVD/DTS Poll Pink - I'm Not Dead [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Pink - I'm Not Dead

• Total voters
Man I love this album!!! A great mix of funky stuff, rock and pop. The songs are great... the production is really excellent. Plus you get the entire album in 5.1 (including the video for "Stupid Girl").

The 5.1 mix was done by our own contributor, Thom Cadley, and once again he does not disappoint! As with the Destiny's Child stuff, there is the right amount of stuff going on in the rears to enhance an excellent recording. The 5.1 mix was mastered by Mark Wilder who also has done a great job at getting the most out of Dolby Digital.

The only reason I didn't give this a 10 was the Dolby factor. I give it a 9 though. I really like it that much!!

Once again Best Buy has their head up their asses in my neighborhood. 30 copies of the cd out in the rack and I had to ask the sales clerk to check in the back for the DualDisc. Morons. Plus the Sony/BMG DualDisc website has this listed as containing "Enhanced Stereo". Double morons!!

Highly recommended!

I'm sorry but Sony/BMG DualDisc are not morons, they are "Enhanced Morons". Well my BB had it right, a little sign for cd $13.99 CDN and Dualdisc$16.99 CDN. It's to bad about only being DD, but it is now hard to find sony withanything but Enhanced stereo.

I have listened to it about 6 or 7 times through (something I haven't done with other albums in a long time). I like this disc a lot. But check out the difference between 2 channel and 5.1. It's like night and day. The whole thing just pops and comes alive. Really nicely done.

Well Bob, I guess we can't agree on everything. :eek:

It's nice to see some new surround product so I hate to harsh on this, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Mostly I'm opposed to this disc from a musical standpoint. Virtually every song is a different style, which I usually view as a good thing. However, I think Pink is trying to be too versatile for her own good. I would rather have something more focused and polished but less diverse. It just sounds like Pink has spread herself too thin on this one.

Four points.

Got one word for this disc: BANGIN'!

I broke cherry on this, my first Pink purchase. I usually shy away from follow-ups to multi-platinum smashes. Anything hyped as the next anything usually ain't.

Some here have called this effort blah compared with previous Pink.
If so, I gotta load me up on this little girl, 'cause I LOVE this album.
Good songs, smart lyrics, crackin' performances.

Whether you agree with the message of Dear Mr. President or not, the lyrics are heartfelt and the song is beautiful, brought to luscious life by an excellent, very discrete surround mix featuring the singer's backing vocals in the front left and right (and a Pink center). Whether serenading Mr. Bush or dissin' Lindsay Lohan, she sings with authority and conviction, never posturing.

This is one of the best current pop-hit surround discs out, if not THE best.
We can only dream of more like it to come.
A solid 9.

Last edited:
I am still listening to this one. I bought it the day it came out.

It's too bad this one didn't take off like I thought it would. It seems to have stalled selling only 375,000 copies....

I like this disc but there is something wrong with the surround mix. I listen to dts cd's and sacd and dvd-a all the time and when I pop this disc in the mix sounds off some how.. thin and unbalanced.. maybe it is because it is DD but the channel levels are the same for dts or dd on my setup so I am not sure what is up. I like what the mix is going for but something isn't quite right with it.

My first multichannel disc, indeed I'd never heard of DualDisc before I saw it in the shop, and it's what got me here. Fantastic disc, just a shame it's not DVD-Audio.

I like the fact that different 5.1 mixing styles have been chosen for each song; proper thought has been put into it. "Nobody Knows" uses isolated centre vocals to good effect, and the near-discrete L/C/R presentation of "Dear Mr. President" gives the track a purity and immediacy that makes it seem like it was written for the format. The rest are more conventional.

It's now turned me on to collecting SACD and DVD-A as a result. When I bought my current player and receiver, the formats weren't finalised yet, and there was no way I was going to buy into them until I could get a universal player with digital interconnect.

Just a shame there's so little contemporary stuff like Pink available multichannel. It's seems like it's almost all classical and boomer-era rock... :(

Last edited:
Try the linkin park dvd-a as well as britney spears both are good pop/rock discs with good fidelty and excellent surround mixes.

I'll second the Linkin Park. Aggressive/discrete surround mix. Mastered by Bob Ludwig, this album is not shrill or overcompressed like so many other similar titles so it can be turned up LOUD without fear of earbleed.

I love this disc!

An "8" from me.

Love the music, love her, love the mix. It's a great package which should have grabbed much more attention to the 5.1 cause!

I'd give it a "9" if it were DTS and a "10" if it were DVDA..!

I love this disc!

An "8" from me.

Love the music, love her, love the mix. It's a great package which should have grabbed much more attention to the 5.1 cause!

I'd give it a "9" if it were DTS and a "10" if it were DVDA..!

I haven't heard this in a while, but remember really not liking the mix at all. Felt flat and unimaginative at the time. Maybe I should fire it up again. Great album.

I haven't heard this in a while, but remember really not liking the mix at all. Felt flat and unimaginative at the time. Maybe I should fire it up again. Great album.

I'd say definitely give it another try! For me, the mixes are quite the reverse, they're fun and inventive!

You may still hate the mixes afterwards.. but you'll never know unless you get it out and give it another listen :)

I recall I popped this on during a party (in 5.1.. bad move usually! most friends know i love 5.1 but nobody "gets" my surround obsession..!) but without saying anything about it being in surround, one of my friends' partners said "hey! she's singing over there now! thats weird!?"

which I, of course, took as a great compliment and was delighted about..!!!

Howdy!

This is my first introduction to Pink as a performer, so I had no preconceptions about her music. While the pop stylings are not my first favorite music, I find the surround mix to be discrete and adventuresome! Very nice use of the rears, and a real treat compared to the many lazy ambient or reverby mixes I have encountered in 5.1 land. So I give this a 9 based on the mix, and if the music were closer to my favorite stylings I would call this a 10. It is not the best surround mix I have ever heard, but by God it is a step in the right direction!

Ken

Got this cause my baby likes Pink , it's not very much my cup of tea, but it's interesting enough for me to keep (I sell or trade what I don't like)...
Pity it's DD...
If you like this kind of music, get it , it's cheap...

An 8 for me
1 point off for being Dullbee
1 point off for being brickwalled...

I'm not a massive Pink (or should that be P!nk?) fan. I mean, she's very cute and all my lesbian friends absolutely adore her, but musically, she's never really excited me too much. So why, I hear you ask, did I buy this album? Well, it was a 5.1 album that was being sold for £2.49! That's pretty much it. Also, I thought that maybe a 5.1 mix by Pink might help get the wife on board with this passion of mine, but this remains to be seen.

Anyway, this is a very listenable album with a decent 5.1 mix, albeit only in Dolby Digital, for which it loses a mark. Also, the fact that the non-conforming CD side doesn't actually register in some of my drives is a bit annoying.

But all in all, a worthwhile listen and if you can also find it at the price I did, it's a no brainer.

I'd give it 7.5 but halves aren't allowed, so I'll give her a sexist extra 0.5 for the gallery of pictures that accompany the tracks ;)

Back